What's new

Weekly Roundup 3/12 (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Just so you know, my local (Kansas City area) CC always has higher prices than you list. I've given up even entering their store, but I just might have to give them a call with prices like that.
Thanks for the feedback. Anyone else experiencing this? I will look into it, and see if they are moving toward a more distintively different pricing structure from web vs. store prices.

Thanks for the tip about American Gigolo. A local music chain (Turtles) will probably have this for $12.99...if I can't get it with instant gratification from them later today, then I might go for that deal.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Turtles still exists? Blockbuster bought them out in the early 1990's here in Atlanta. I had so many of those Turtle stamps collected in those yellow booklets. Must have saved me $5 when I fill one of them up. :)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Turtles still exists?
Yep. They are owned by the Willie's Music chain, whose website is Link Removed.
The Willie's chain is, according to the site, represented in Atlanta now by "Peppermint Music", which is at Greenbriar Mall, West End Mall, and in Decatur at South Dekalb Mall.
The local Turtle's stores were, up until about 6-ish months ago, owned by Wherehouse Music. These Memphis locations were sold off by WM to Willie's, and so their DVD buying habits and selection are still more Wherehouse than Willie's. Soon after buying the 2 Memphis WM locations, they opened a 3rd Turtle's store in Memphis, and it's DVD's aren't much like the other two at all!
I was in the biggest Turtles store in town earlier today, and picked up the Victor/Victoria soundtrack in anticipation of the coming DVD, and an X-Men cartoon disc that I'd only found for full-price at Suncoast previously (and so refused to buy). They were out of both American Gigolo and Coming to America, and so it looks like they had the markdown and immediately sold out! I'll check the location closer to me tomorrow...they don't have the DVD selection of the store I was at today, but they probably don't sell out of stuff as fast, either.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Other 3/12 releases
Best Buy
Liam......$19.99
Metropolis(japanimation) 2-disc set......$22.99

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I guess Metropolis did get pushed back. :frowning: Best Buy still has it listed as today.
How come I didn't get the memo on this? Looks like I might have to fire my secretary.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Anyone find the Romeo + Juliet special edition in a B&M store? I went to the local Best Buy today, and all they had was the old one. Didn't have the new one listed in their computer either. I showed them the new one on their website, and they told me that it was an on-line thing only.

Anyone else hear the same thing?

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
The good news is that they do have Heist today for $15.99, which I confirmed by phone. After being burned on the differences on the Simpsons Season 1 and a couple of other titles, I had vowed never to set foot in there without concrete proof that they had a better deal. I think I can safely break that now. :)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
It's Groundhog Day all over again. No one seems to have ordered the Special Edition re-release of Romeo and Juliet.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Well, my first attempt to post this info appears to have gone awry due to HTF difficulties, so let's try again:
Best Buy's deal on SpongeBob SquarePants for $12.99 appears to be a website-only deal. I tried to buy it in-store and it rang up for $17.99; I said "Thank you, no...I can get it cheaper than that" and asked them to put it back for me.
Sam's of course shows it for $13.49, but I'd rather get it through BB's website for the $12.99 price and mark it for in-store pickup. Sort of a best deal/in-your-face kind of thing. Unless someone reports an equal or better price on it at Costco or somewhere else, I'll go ahead and do this tomorrow morning.
As for Costco & Sam's, I didn't get a chance to stop by either store on the way home, so if anyone visited these please post your observations!
We DID stop at Circuit City. Joy Ride, Heist, Zoolander, Wash, and Sexy Beast are all at the prices reported in the Roundup. I asked the clerk if prices are ever different between two store locations, and the reply was that "stores in the same city ought to have the same prices". The unsaid implication was that perhaps stores in DIFFERENT cities might have different pricing. Hmmm....
CC's $11.99 deals in their ad were all sold out except for Say Anything and Don't Be A Menace. 3 customers were mad and left; one of them I saw a short time later at BB getting What Women Want for $1 more than CC's ad price.
CC didn't have any other of the new items except for the 5 I specifically mentioned above! :eek:
Oh, and BB didn't have R+J SE, either. Not that I wanted it myself, but I happened to look.
Check y'all later!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Ah, the SpongeBob/Costco question has been answered! Alex S posted that this is $13.99 at Costco.
While I'm at it, Brian McHale mentions that Costco also have Field of Dreams for $12.99. Since Best Buy and Circuit City haven't taken their markdowns on this title yet, and my wife wants it bad, and since K-Mart's advert for it for $14.95 didn't yield any copies in my local store, I'll swing by Costco for both of these tomorrow and save the trouble of doing BB's in-store pickup dealie.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
CC's $11.99 deals in their ad were all sold out except for Say Anything and Don't Be A Menace. 3 customers were mad and left; one of them I saw a short time later at BB getting What Women Want for $1 more than CC's ad price.
CC is terrible at maintaining proper inventory. And they will not issue rainchecks since (according to their service desk attendants) "they get new shipments every couple of days and I should just check back later." Hello! CC is a 35-mile drive from my house and it's not convenient to try and "check in" on a regular basis to see if they've restocked. I stormed out a couple times because they didn't have advertised items and vowed never to go back.
The only reason I have recently gone back is they seem to be having some really good prices (this last weekend, I got their last visible copy of the "Book of the Dead"). Plus a new BB just opened across the street, so if CC is sold out, I can just pick up a sale flyer on my way out the door and have BB price match as they have a much larger inventory.
I'd like the R&J SE, but I was going to wait until the Red Curtain (Carpet?) box set is released and pick it up along with "Moulin Rouge" and "Strictly Ballroom."

josh4040

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
Wow was I pissed today! I went to cc and couldn't find romeo & juliet se I asked the clerk and he pulled one off the shelf. I didnt look at it past seeing that it was romeo and juliet. I took it home opened it up and popped it in my dvd player. I looked at the special features and all I saw was a trailer! I checked the cover art against what I had in dvdprofiler. And I was SHOCKED to learn that I had the wrong one. I called the store nearest me ( I had bought it at one close to school, which is twenty minutes from my house, there is one down the street from my home though) the one nearest me said they couldnt help me since i had opened it. I called the one where I bought it and they said they would refund me the money since their clerk told me it was the one that came out today. I was pissed the whole way there figuring the guy was just giving me a line. I get to the store and what do you know they refunded my money :D :D :D I went by bb and frys on the way home and none of them had it :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: oh well at least I got my money back

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Only place I saw in Vegas that had R&J SE was the WOW! Store on Sahara Rd.(I checked BB & CC)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks