Weekly Roundup 3/11

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lambert, Mar 9, 2003.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

See this? THIS is my boomstick! The 12-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line!

[c][​IMG][/c]

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed advertisements, the Sunday of the week of release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website or perhaps in their ads...but it COULD still be in-stores!

$_"LP" means the advertisement says "Low Price", and $_"HP" means the advertisement says "Hot Price". Use of either of these in the Roundup grid indicates that I could not locate a definate price for the item, and the ad is all I have to go on. Retailers use these phrases in advertisements so that they do not violate MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreements with the studios. Doing so can cost them thousands or even millions of dollars in co-op advertising funds.

I only include the titles I feel like including. In fact, the titles are pretty much the ones I'm personally interested in, with few exceptions. I don't get paid for this, and I don't have time to devote to doing every DVD. I have a lovely wife and a five-year-old son I'd rather spend time with. Please don't complain. If there is a title not included in the Roundup that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone...like I do!

Note that Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii.

[c]
    __________TITLE____________Amazon_BestBuy_CrcCity_Target__CostCo__SamsClb
    Army/Darkness - Boomstick_$22.49__$17.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Assault on Precinct 13-SE_$14.99__$17.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    The Awful Truth (C.Grant)_$18.71__$22.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Bushwhacked_______________$11.24__$12.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Far From Home: Adv/Ylw Dg_$11.24__$12.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    I-Spy_____________________$20.96__$16.99__$15.99__$_"LP"__$17.99__$19.84
    Inspector Gadget 2________$22.49__$19.99__$17.99__$_"LP"__$17.29__$_N/A_
    Lucas_____________________$11.24__$12.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    My Friend Flicka__________$11.24__$12.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    My Life As A Dog - CC_____$29.96__$34.99__$34.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Swimfan___________________$20.99__$17.99__$17.99__$_"LP"__$18.99__$18.47
    White Oleander - Widescrn_$20.96__$15.99__$15.99__$15.99__$17.99__$_N/A_
    Wind______________________$18.71__$22.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    [/c]

* BE CAREFUL! White Oleander is available in both Widescreen and Fullscreen versions...get the correct one.

* At Best Buy you can save $5 if you buy Inspector Gadget 2 and Spy Kids 2: The Island of Lost Dreams at the same time.

* Best Buy also has a 2-for-$25 deal going on the following titles: True Romance 2-Disc SE, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest 2-Disc SE, Scooby-Doo: The Movie - Widescreen, Scooby-Doo: The Movie - Fullscreen, Citizen Kane 2-Disc SE, Unforgiven 2-Disc SE, The Color Purple 2-Disc SE, Amadeus 2-Disc SE, A Clockwork Orange - Remastered, The Shining - Remastered (Jack Nicholson), The Wizard of Oz (Warner), Goodfellas. Note that the final title is the old 1-disc flipper version that's been out for years. Give it a skip, and wait for the later-in-2003 release that will be a 2-Disc SE. I'm very sure it will be out this year (I can't guarantee it, though...but I'm waiting). Read more about this deal in a separate thread somewhere else in this forum's Bargain Area (same section this Roundup is in). The main other thing to remember is this: if you want an odd number of these selections, or if your local store is out, order them for $12.50 each through BestBuy.com (see the link at the beginning of this paragraph).

* Target's "Low Price" on Inspector Gadget 2 is almost certainly going to be $15.99, but on top of that you get a free 2-liter bottle of 7-Up, A&W, or Sunkist sodas. The ad mentions, though, that the instantly redeemable coupon is located on the movie package itself, so this probably isn't limited to Target. Great price, though!

* Expect the same $15.99 to be the "Low Price" on both Swimfan and I Spy as well...that's my MY spies tell me! [​IMG]

* Target also has a trio of kidvid titles in their ad that I'm not otherwise putting in the Roundup: Stanley: Hop To It and Bob the Builder: Knights of Fix-a-Lot are $14.99 each, and Meet Strawberry Shortcake is $9.99...note that each of these are one of multiple releases in each series this week (2 Stanleys, 2 Strawberry Shortcakes, and 3 Bob the Builders). That's the main reason I left them out of the Roundup...quantity! I *WAS* thinking of listing the two Care Bears releases, since my wife is a huge fan...but noone is carrying it in a brick-and-mortar store! Oh, well...Bedtime Stories and "The Last Laugh" (how appropriate) are $10.49 each at DVDPlanet!

* Finally at Target, get these oldies-but-goodies for just $7.99 each: Cruel Intentions, Dirty Dancing, Wall Street, The Full Monty, My Cousin Vinny, Anna & The King, Predator (the last two are pictured fullscreen versions...yuck).

The latest markdowns according to VideoTropics web site (DVD Title/Old SRP/New SRP):
    -------------------------
    • Baby's Day Out $19.98 $14.98
    • Breaking Away $19.98 $14.98
    • Dunston Checks In $19.98 $14.98
    • Man From Snowy River $19.98 $14.98
    • My Bodyguard $19.98 $14.98
    • Pagemaster, The $19.98 $14.98
    • Rookie Of The Year $19.98 $14.98
    • Sandlot, The $19.98 $14.98

2. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

Below:

Amazon - $22.49
    Best Buy - $22.99
    Circuit City - $22.99

Reportedly, Wal-Mart is carrying/will carry the disc for $19.99.

3. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

That really sucks about Below. I'll just get it at Laser Blazer at that price. Is Wal-Mart even carrying it?

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Best Buy DVD prices:

Buy any 2 of the following movies for $25:
    (I've listed in list so it's easier to read than in paragraph form).

Goodfellas (Do pass on this flipper)
    The Wizard of Oz
    Clockwork Orange
    One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest SE
    True Romance SE
    Unforgiven SE
    Scooby-Doo
    Amadeus SE
    The Color Purple SE
    The Shining
    Citizen Kane 2 disc

Sniper 2 - $16.99
    The Osbournes - $17.99
    The Ring - Hot price
    Moonlight Mile $19.99
    Tony Hawks Tips and Tricks - $12.99

--------

Circuit City DVD prices:

Knockaround Guys 18.99
    The Ring LP 18.99
    Half Past Dead LP 18.99
    Road to Perdition LP 18.99
    One Hour Photo 19.99
    Barbershop 17.99
    Brown Suga 19.99
    Osbournes 1 19.99
    Sweet Home Alabama 14.99
    My Big Fat Greek Wedding 14.99

High Crimes
    Any Given Sunday
    The Princess Diaries
    Best In Show
    Dead Poet Society
    Romy & Michele's HS Reunion

Rollerball (new)
    What's the Worst that could Happen?
    Road House
    Honeymoon in Vegas
    No Man's Land
    A Prayer for the Dying
    Sleepy Hallow
    Ace Ventura Pet Detective
    The Bodyguard
    The Pelican Brief
    Shaft
    Center Stage

5. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    Finally an Assault on Precinct 13 SE! Decent price at Amazon too.

As much as I love AOD, I simply cannot see buying another version of this movie, it is literally out of hand. Enough already.

Outstanding as always, Dave, thanks.

6. Bill J

Bill J Producer

Will Best Buy or Circuit City have it on Tuesday?

7. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

8. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

I've seen a few copies of Below at my store. A few.

9. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

I wish there was a better price out there on Moonlight Mile (other than BB's $19.99). It's not even listed in the CC ad.

I was kinda hoping on picking this up as a blind buy, but $20 is sorta steep to do that.

Guess I'll just rent it from Netflix.

10. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Deepdiscountdvd.com has Assault on Precinct 13 for $14.69. Pretty decent with free shipping and no tax. Anyway, for me it will be the Best Buy deal this week with Unforgiven and A Clockwork Orange for $25. No new releases for me.

11. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    Nuttin' for me this week, which is good, because I've got some big weeks coming up this spring - lots of my favorite classics are being issued.

Anyhow, thanks as always, Dave

12. Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings Supporting Actor

Except for the good deal at Best Buy and Army of Darkness (would you believe I never bought?), it a slow week. Thanks anyway Dave.

13. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Just BELOW, ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13, and THE HOUSE WITH LAUGHING WINDOWS for me this week.

14. Rob FM

Rob FM Second Unit

R
    "Boomstick" ???

-I keep wanting to call it the "Broomstick" edition after all the Hub-bub in the Software forum!!
    [​IMG]

Ha-ha,
    ~Rob

15. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    I already saw the AOD Boomstick edition at my local Best Buy LAST Tuesday.
    The 2-for-$25 is hard to pass on, though. Did that start Sunday or does it start Tuesday?

Never mind, I figured it out already. Started Sunday.

16. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I meant to ask about Target instead of Wal-Mart, of which there are thankfully few in Los Angeles.

17. JamesY

JamesY Stunt Coordinator

Any B&M deals for Peter Gabriel: Secret World Live? Amazon.com has it for $14.99, which is where I preordered it..

Anyways, I highly recommend this title, but it doesn't seem like that many people know about it[​IMG]

18. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

David-
    Thanks for including Wind. It was left out of all the advance postings over at DVDTalk, and I was worried I was going to have to pay MSRP to get it on release date. Circuit City isn't slashing the price, but it still isn't bad for my most anticipated release of the year.

19. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Whew, good to have a week of not much cooking after the extravaganza of 3/4! Thanks, David!

20. Alex Morrow

Alex Morrow Stunt Coordinator

Any fans of the stuff from ADV should check out best buy. They're having a 20%off sale on their stuff. I'm not sure if it's online only but I have a feeling it's valid in the store too. I for one am going to take back the Farscape 2.5 disc I just purchased and get it for a cheaper price (about $5 cheaper).