What's new

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon submitted a new blog post

Weekly RoundUp 3-10-2020
WRU-Banner-2019-1024x661-copy-1024x661.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thank you for your work, Mike!

I'm getting the Beauty and the Beasts.

Me too -- one of them.

I have the steelbook of the original animated Beauty and the Beast pre-ordered with Best Buy to go with my previous steelbooks of The Little Mermaid and Aladdin. Because I didn't buy the 2016 re-release, I'm looking forward to seeing the new bonus features that were added for it.

After having to jump through some hoops to track down a copy of the Knives Out steelbook at a farther away store than usual, I'm happy that my local store is being cooperative with this one.

I liked the Beauty and the Beast remake as well but am okay with my original Blu-ray of that one for now because that disc is the same and I don't have any immediate plans to go 4K.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Best Buy's website says that my store only has 3 copies left of the steelbook for the live-action version of Beauty and the Beast, which doesn't even come out until tomorrow.

I don't need one -- because I am not 4K-equipped and there are no new bonus features on the included Blu-ray, I'm good with my existing copy for now -- but this is nuts to me.

The release day is tomorrow and they're only getting in three copies? That makes no sense. Why should Best Buy have an arrangement (I presume financial) with Disney to stock the steelbooks exclusively if they're not going to get more than three copies? I mean, I understand that steelbooks are generally limited editions and aren't supposed to be available forever, but only allocating a store three copies seems excessively low.

The animated version (which I thankfully did pre-order) briefly said that it was sold out at my store and it wasn't available for new orders. Then they changed it to say that it is available, which is odd. It doesn't say how many copies they have, so maybe they got more than three of it. But all this underscores how challenging it is to get the steelbook editions if you don't spring and order them as soon as they are listed (which is the only reason I've already pre-ordered Onward.). I love the steelbooks that I have and am happy to pay for them for special movies, but this business practice makes no sense to me. If their goal is to get people into the store by having the steelbook exclusively so that they will also buy something else, you've actually got to have enough of the steelbook to avoid annoying the customers who come in looking for it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks