What's new

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
mike-frezon has published a new article.

Weekly RoundUp 3-1-2016

WRU-Banner-16-9-150x150.jpg

Where to find the Best Deals on Movies & TV Shows on 4k/UHD, Blu-ray and DVD…

The Features...
Continue reading the original article.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey Everybody! :welcome:

This just might be THE BIGGEST ROUNDUP EVER! :D

Lots of titles this week! The first-ever listings of 4k/UHD titles! Lots and lots going on. :rock:

I'm sorry I haven't yet been able to conquer the color-coding for the three different grids...but we are working on it. Be careful to order the right thing from Amazon (if you are using our links). And if you ARE using our links, THANKS for supporting the HTF! :thumbsup:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Still throwing me off clicking through to a separate article, but I'm grateful as ever for your hard work, Mike!

Just the Target Steelbook of Creed for me. Given that 2K looks pretty decent on a 40 foot screen, 1080P is plenty for me on a 40-inch screen.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Mike, again thanks for all of your hard work! I'll just be more careful to scroll lower in the page so I don't order a DVD by accident. :P

In fact I'll start scrolling all the way down because in the worst case scenario, I'll accidentally order the 4K version which is A-OK with me. :rolling-smiley:

What's up with the price for 4K Pan? $45? You're not gonna sell many at that price...

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks for a lively RoundUp, Mike!

I have several of this week's releases assigned to me, but none of them has made its way to my door yet. I wait in great anticipation for them.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I loved Creed but I'm sure it'll go on sale for $20 or even $15 in a few months. I'll probably pick up The Americans: Season Three this week though.

Room has some grim subject matter but Brie Larson is great in it.

Thanks for the prices, Mike! :)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thank you for your work as always, Mike...but especially this week, which must have been a Herculean effort to put together. UHD does not affect me at all since I don't have a TV for that, and Blu-ray is pretty great as-is. But March is especially loaded with great titles and there will be a lot I want over the next few weeks.

I'll be getting Room (which would be my vote for Best Picture) and The Danish Girl this week, and would also consider Creed at a later point post-price drop. I've got the first two on the way from Amazon and that is enough for one week. $16.99 is a great price for Room, while I think $22.99 is a bit steep for The Danish Girl, especially as it is rather barebones, and I would normally wait for a price drop on it, but I thought it was a beautiful film and I really liked it, so I'll bite the bullet and get it now.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You guys are pretty confident that Creed will be dropping in price soon?!?

All these years of putting together the RoundUp and I have never figured out which studios drop prices quick/never/etc. In fact, I rarely even think of films in terms of studio (outside of Disney).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just a heads up, many of the 4K/UHD titles from Fox and Sony were released this past week. So if you're wanting some of them then you can order them now.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
And the digital copies from them are flooding that sub forum.

Thanks a TON mike! Any chance we can reverse the sort order 4K then Blu then DVD :)

I'd like to meet the guy who priced Pan at $45. He must be a real asshat.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Okay, Kung Fu Trailers of Fury looks pretty sweet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLONbxhX6Io

As far as the Hitchcock set goes - I thought that has already been released? Is this a new thing?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Okay, Kung Fu Trailers of Fury looks pretty sweet:

As far as the Hitchcock set goes - I thought that has already been released? Is this a new thing?

Unless there is something wrong with the picture Amazon has up it appears to be identical to the 2012 release with the same listed 15 movies, but
instead of $100 price it's $300 (or less than $50 from Amazon UK for basically the same thing). I can't find anything on the other forums so far to differentiate
this other than a wish list -- updated transfer on some of the lesser efforts, change to Amaray Case, adding Digitals, but nothing remotely concrete.

Digital might be nice for those who use them (I don't, but my kids do so under the shared Family VUDU it helps them use my video library)-- my UK set wouldn't convert with the Home Disc3Digital program (??if the US set will), but my old US DVD Masterpiece box did so with some 50% VUDU credits I ended up with a full HD Digital collection of these Hitchcocks for $15 or so.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Mike -

Depends on your definition of "soon" for a Creed price drop. Will it drop in price next week? Probably not. A few months from now? Yes. I enjoyed Creed much more than I expected to in theaters -- (I have never previously seen any of the Rocky films, but I loved Fruitvale Station from this creative team, so wast originally sure it was going to be accessible to me but went to this one because of the good buzz I'd been hearing about it, and was pleasantly surprised, but I didn't have quite as strong an emotional reaction to it as people who really love Rocky probably did. So, while I liked it and would probably get it now if it were the only thing this week that I want, I don't feel a huge need to rush out and buy it right away, especially at a $22.99 price tag. I am perfectly fine waiting six months for it to drop.

If you want it sooner than that, or if you haven't seen it and are considering a blind purchase, then you'd probably be advised to bite the bullet and get it now in order to see it quickly. I have every reason to think The Danish Girl will probably be substantially cheaper by Black Friday or sooner -- Universal titles tend to drop relatively soon too, and Theory of Everything (which was released around this time last year) $12.76 on Amazon -- but I really, really loved Danish Girl, and it was one of my favorite films from 2015, so as much as I would like to pay less, I will swallow hard and pay $22.99 in order to own it now because I'm excite to watch it again this week.

So: how long are you wiling to wait to have Creed?

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Prolly just a few weeks more of me saying "nothing now"...we're almost credit card debt free, which will free up a lot of money to do other things (saving, spending, giving). Until then, I'll be happy with the two movies I actually bought this year so far and not spend money on everything I see.

That is, unless Mike manages to work some magic on me and makes me an offer I can't refuse. :eek:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It says DVDs in the header of all 3 columns (DVD/Blu-ray/4k)

I see that. I don't understand it...because all of my original grids had the proper headings. But I see it.

I'll look at changing them now.

Oh. And the price of Pan 4k/UHD has now dropped to $29.99 on Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Amazon smartly combined The Danish Girl and Room into one shipment for me (I pre-ordered them at separate times when their listings first went up, prior to the release date being announced.) The one package should be here tomorrow; meanwhile, Room is actually continuing at my local movie theater for at least another week despite its imminent widespread availability on disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks