What's new

Weekly RoundUp 2/3 (1 Viewer)

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Another title for the Roundup

Down Periscope (Kelsey Grammer)

Amazon - $12.73
BB - $12.99 (not sure of in-store pricing though)
CC - $12.99 (not sure of in-store pricing though)

Dying Young (Julia Roberts)

Amazon - $12.73
BB - $9.99 (not sure of in-store pricing though)
CC - $12.99 (not sure of in-store pricing though)

Also don't forget the rerelease of Gettysburg is tomorrow as well.

Greg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Good point, Greg! Thanks for the info on the other titles as well.

I was having a VERY difficult time trying to figure out if Gettysburg was an actual re-release...or if it was just showing up on the radar because of a price drop...or whatever. Does it have different content than the '90s release?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here's what I've been able to find out. But I don't know enough about the first release to see if things are different:

[C]
__________TITLE__________ _ _Amazon _ BestBuy _ CrcCity _ Target_ _ Costco_
Gettysburg_______________ _ $16.98 __ $14.99 __ $15.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_
[/C]

(From BestBuy.com) Version Details:

Sound Format: stereo
Description: Flags General title/Restored/Remastered/Dual-layered DVD
Languages/Sound: Eng/Fre
Screen Formats: Enhanced Widescreen for 16x9 TV/Soft-matted Enhanced Widescreen for 16x9 TV
Subtitle Languages: Eng/Fre
Additional Features:
--Soundtrack remastered in Dolby Digital 5.0
--New digital transfer "The Making of Gettysburg" documentary narrated by Martin Sheen
--Vintage Oscar-nominated documentary: "The Battle of Gettysburg" narrated by Leslie Nielsen
--Cast/crew interview gallery
--Battlefield maps
--Feature-length audio commentary by director/screenwriter Ronald F. Maxwell, cinematographer Kees Van Dostrum, Pulitzer Prize-winning author James M. McPherson, and military historian Craig Symonds
--Interactive menus
--Theatrical trailer
--TV Spots
--Cast/Director filmographies
--Scene access
--Languages and subtitles: English, Français

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Keith: Yes it does.

[C]

__________TITLE__________ _ _Amazon _ BestBuy _ CrcCity _ Target_ _ Costco_
Gods Must Be Crazy 1 & 2___ _ $20.97 __ $21.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_

[/C]

Standard disclaimer:

If there is a title not included in the Roundup that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone...like Dave does!

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Mike,

I don't think it is different than the first release to be honest with you. I hope someone can chime in here that is in the "know".

I mainly mentioned this title as it was/is a fairly popular DVD at one time and has been OOP for a while and was going for "big bucks" on ebay for a while. I will be picking it up this time since I missed out on it the first time around.

So for me this week:

Gettysburg
Down Periscope
My Fair Lady:SE (for the wife - one of here favs)

Otherwise LOTS of rentals (incl. Secondhand Lions, LIT, & Under the Tuscan Sun)

Thanks as usual for the Roundup!!

Greg

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
I called my local Blockbuster who informed me they had 2 copies of Ed Wood and will be selling for $29.99 tomorrow. Just a heads up to anyone that wants this disc and is willing to pay MSRP for it. Check your Blockbuster.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

This film has such a devoted following, I'm sure there are many out there who are speed-dialing their local Blockbuster right now! ;)

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator
I'm good for Lost In Translation, POTA, Rain Man, Secondhand Lions, Under the Tuscan Sun, and My Fair Lady. I was already lucky enough to score a couple of Ed Wood :)

Also, I will be picking up a copy of Black Widow (Debra Winger, Theresa Russell) which also streets tomorrow. Best Buy has the best price of $10.99 for this one, but who knows if I can find one in their store until next month!! :rolleyes

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey, Bob! A shot in the dark...

You didn't happen to graduate from Syracuse University in the early '80s, didja? I had a Bob Black in some of my Newhouse classes.

There's probably only a bajillion Bob Blacks in the world. But, I'll tell ya, there's not that many Mike Frezons. :D Many, including my wife, will tell you that's a good thing!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike,
I watched my Gettysburg dvd again this weekend and it's exactly the same as what's being released tomorrow.

Crawdaddy

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Crawdaddy: Thanks for the heads up. I guess like Greg said, this will just be a new opportunity for those who didn't get a copy before it went out of print to get one now. Thanks!

I didn't know you lurked in Coupons & Bargains...let alone the Weekly RoundUp. ;) Very cool.

I understand Gettysburg is supposed to be pretty good. But, isn't it also supposed to have some of the most-fake-looking-beards in the annals of film? :D

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
Looks like I'm just in the market for Lost in Translation and Gaslight, which has been on my "why isn't this on DVD?" list since the day I bought my first player.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I'm seriously going to go on the hunt for a copy of Ed Wood since there are usually quite a number of retailers around here who are what you'd call "out of the loop" and would put this out on the shelf. Nice to know some people are still finding it without having to take out a second mortgage (e-bay!).

Brian E

Screenwriter
Which is to bad. I was hoping they'd release the extended cut this time. Looks like I might have to hunt down the LD to get it.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member

Yes! I knew someone in this thread would mention it. This movie is one of my "Must Own/Holy Grail" type movies. I was soooo relieved when I was sure there was no P&S monkey business afoot.

It AIN'T for the kids, but if you're in the market for a medieval period piece/war flick/drama/action concoction, please do give this one a spin. I dug it long before I even knew who Verhoeven was! :D

Oh and I gotta get Planet of the Apes already. This new release looks like a good reason to do that.

Otherwise, that's it for me! I hope to purchase Lost in Translation eventually, but I've just seen it (again) recently so I don't feel that "urge" to buy it on release day. I was going to buy The Fighting Temptations but then I just decided to run a 20-dollar bill through a paper shredder instead.

And of course a big fat THANKS to Mike for stepping in and doing such a fantastic job with the Roundup. I love that it's there every Sunday without fail, and you both do a great service to we, the sweaty and DVD-hungry.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Too bad no one is advertising Grand Hotel. Think any B&M's will stock this Best Picture winner from Warner?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Since Best Buy actually advertised in their Sunday flyer(with a picture and everything!) the 1930s version of Mutiny on the Bounty with Gable & Laughton, I would think they would have supplies of all the Warner's Screen Legends DVDs in stock today. Only time will prove me wrong.

Don't expect that there'll be a special table manned by a blue shirt near the front registers, however.

Customer: (picking up a copy of Gaslight and turning it over) "What are these?"

Blue Shirt: "I dunno. But would you like me to take you to our stack of The Fighting Temptations?"

Customer: "Wow. Some of these say they won the Oscar for Best Picture!"

Blue Shirt: "C'mon.... Its Cuba Gooding, Jr., man!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks