What's new

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I assume, @Sam Posten , that you liked my snarky comment and not that Amazon has no inventory and is charging full retail?
I just bought Coco on 4K/UHD for $24.99 from Amazon and then used $7 in Bonus Reward points to knock it down to 17.99. Sure it's not in-stock, but, I can patiently wait for it with so many other titles in my "not viewed" pile.:)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Never saw Coco so I can wait on it. But I have to wonder, did Disney totally underestimate demand for the 4K version? It's Backordered on Amazon and according to both Target and Best Buy it's not in stock at any of the stores in Southern California within 25 miles of me (which would be about 20 of each store).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It's backordered on Amazon due to the ridiculous feud. The other stores being out may speak to underestimation, but Amazon doesn't.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I have just never seen 40 Target/Best Buys be OOS on something, especially a 4K disc because of how relatively low market penetration is for 4K. Doing the "store pickup" strategy is one I've employed, living in such a dense area as Los Angeles, and this is the first time for something as big as a Disney A+ title that I've seen this happen. The last time was for Blade Runner 4K but given how that's more of a niche/cult/catalog title, that was more understandable. And even then I found BR at a Best Buy that was about 15 miles away. Coco 4K is literally not available at a Target or Best Buy in the greater Los Angeles area.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I have just never seen 40 Target/Best Buys be OOS on something, especially a 4K disc because of how relatively low market penetration is for 4K.

Oh, I think you are absolutely correct that someone (whether Disney or the stores or both) underestimated the demand for Coco 4K. I was just pointing out in my previous post that Amazon, specifically, would have been out-of-stock no matter what due to their Disney feud. But, yes, it does seem like the 4K is outselling expectations. Most stores probably thought more people would be okay with the standard Blu-ray edition (which I'm sure is selling well too, but probably had more copies stocked in the first place..)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think it may be a local delivery issue. Just made a few rounds and saw 10+ at BBY and 5 at Target at a non high end suburban store.

Checking the online inventory checkers show a 75 copies at just Target and BBY within 40 miles of me. The online inventory may
be incorrect though it nailed the two stores with regular 4K, Coco Steelbooks, and special Lady and the Tramp numbers.

Target lists 50 within a 25 mile radius and BBY over 40

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well Los Angeles isn't exactly "the sticks" and we do have some very large ports and airports and are a major shipping hub for the U.S.

One other option that I may not have thought of...we do also have a large hispanic population which is obviously a target demographic of this film.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Walmart is matching Walmart's price for Coco 4K of $25.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Also, if you ordered Coco from Amazon before the price drop, you'll want to cancel and order again at the lower price. Because it is no longer a pre-order item, it is NOT covered by the pre-order price guarantee and therefore they won't credit you the difference like they would on pre-order items.

Of course, who knows when/if Amazon will have stock anyway? I don't trust them on Disney Blu-rays anymore.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The fact that the Amazon/Disney feud has gone on this long tells me two things:
  1. The loss of Amazon preorders and sales isn't hurting Disney in any significant way.
  2. Amazon isn't willing to cave to Disney because the other studios would demand the same more generous terms.
I can't think of another explanation for the impasse lasting this long.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I find it bizarre that it seems to be just a thing at Amazon US. There are no games with or shortages of Disney product at Amazon UK. Actually, they're quite often heavily discounted. I've got most of my Disney 3D's from AUK for £10 or under.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
This is what happens when two mega-billion dollar corporations go to war with each other. Neither is powerful enough to make the other blink, so we get this impasse.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The loss of Amazon preorders and sales isn't hurting Disney in any significant way.
Of course it isn't. People who would normally make their purchases on Amazon just go buy it from another source Disney is the most frequent studio that I buy movies from, and not being able to do so via Amazon isn't going to stop me from wanting the movie. But also, as you noted, Amazon is perfectly okay with the way things are right now. They may lose my individual sale of Disney titles, but I'm still a regular customer of theirs and a Prime member and have several items from other studios on pre-order at any given time. So no one has any incentive to change anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks