What's new

Weekly Roundup 2/26 (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, the week of the release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website...but it COULD still be in-stores!
Without further ado, here is the latest grid:

_______TITLE__________Amazon_BestBuy_CrcCity_CostCo_SamsClub
Bones- Platinum Ed.__$18.74__$19.99__$16.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Cinderella 2-D.C.T.__$22.49__$16.99__$16.99__$18.49__$18.49
Drawing Flies________$14.98__$12.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Jay & Silent Bob SB__$22.49__$17.99__$16.99__$17.99__$_N/A_
Larry Sanders Show___$37.99__$39.99__$49.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Meet The Feebles_____$11.24__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Men/Killed Kennedy___$22.46__$24.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
The Musketeer: C.E.__$20.24__$16.99__$16.99__$17.99__$_N/A_
Roger Ramjet #1______$11.24__$_N/A___$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Roger Ramjet #2______$11.24__$_N/A___$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Secret Agent Man #2__$29.96__$34.99__$29.99__$25.99__$_N/A_
Secret Agent Man #3__$29.96__$34.99__$29.99__$25.99__$_N/A_
Session 9____________$20.24__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Sonic The Hedgehog___$11.24__$12.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Soul Survivors-K.C.__$18.74__$19.99__$16.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Space: 1999 #5_______$29.96__$27.99__$29.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Space: 1999 #6_______$29.96__$27.99__$29.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Spr Mario Bros Show__$11.24__$12.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
St Wars vs. St Trek__$ 9.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Twin Peaks-Fire WWM__$14.99__$13.49__$15.99__$13.49__$_N/A_

(I'm almost ready to drop Sam's Club from the grid...thoughts on that?)
* [rant]Best Buy will give you $5 off any 3 DVD's you buy[/rant]. Fine print: multi-disc items count as "1 DVD", and savings is off of the total purchase (I think that last bit means that if you buy 6 DVDs at once you still only save $5...solution is buy 3, dump 'em in your car, go back in and buy 3 more! ;) ).
* Best Buy also gives you 2 free DVDs if you buy a DirectTV system and 4 free DVDs if you buy a projection TV.
* Best Buy's flyer shows Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me for $14.99, but their website shows $13.49!! I expect that there was a last minute markdown, or else the lower price is unique to the website. If you MUST save the $1.50, and you have a CostCo membership, then there's no dilemma. Otherwise, buy from Best Buy's website and use the in-store pickup option. Don't forget that you should buy this but not watch it unless you already know who Laura Palmer's killer is...if you watch it before Twin Peaks Season 2 comes out your surprise will be spoiled and the suspense will be **gone**!
* Circuit City's ad shows Chasing Amy for $14.99, for you Kevin Smith junkies. For more info about Askewniverse title pricings, though, see my post in this thread (if it's a tough read then I apologize; it was not too long after I woke up).
* Peter Jackson fans will have to look hard for his rookie effort, Meet The Feebles. Noone seems to want to stock it in-stores this week. Same for geeky effort Star Wars vs. Star Trek: The Rivalry Continues, which I am curious about, geek that I am. I'm sure both will show up in a few weeks; no rush.
* History/conspiracy buffs should look to Circuit City for the best price on the 2-disc The Men Who Killed Kennedy...I just hope my local store has it in-stock! I would like feedback from the crowd as to whether anyone spots this at their local CC...mine doesn't *never* seems to have items of this nature, and I want to know if it's a chain-wide thing so I can decide whether or not to complain about the inventory at my nearby store. Thanks. Hopefully I'm wrong and it will be there Tuesday...my wife wants it badly and $5 is $5!!
* LOTS of TV-on-DVD effort this week...please support it with at least the Larry Sanders show, eh? :D
* Target shows "Low Price" on Cinderella 2: Dreams Come True...someone please tell me if this is worth buying, okay? Frankly, I'm scared of Disney's sequels-for-all-their-masterpiece-classics policy! :rolleyes
* K-Mart has a number of things in their ad this week:
  • Cinderella 2 for $19.95, plus "Buy Cinderella II on VHS or DVD and save $2 instantly* on Mattel's Swirl 'N Style Cinderella doll *With coupon on pack" (probably this on-pack coupon is on all DVDs bought anywhere, though)[/size]
  • Bones for $19.95
  • The Musketeer for $19.95
  • Soul Survivor for $17.99
I don't know about any other K-Mart location, but the Super K-Mart near me seems to be getting out of the DVD business?... They have plenty of VHS stock, mostly older stuff, but DVD stuff is drying up fast. Probably a sign of their bankruptcy troubles. Comments?
The latest markdowns according to VideoTropics web site (DVD Title/Old SRP/New SRP):
-------------------------
None this week! Our friends at VideoTropics seem to be falling down on the job, as both Clerks (down to $19.99 SRP) and Clerks Unsensored: The Animated Series (down to $22.99 SRP) are getting marked down this Tuesday, everywhere. Best Buy will have each of them for $14.99!! :eek:

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Thanks David.

By the way, Meet The Feebles wasn't Peter Jackson's first film. It was his second after Bad Taste. I haven't been able to find out any details of this release or cover art. I'm not sure if it's a reissue of the Canadian Substance DVD or if it is different in any way. Since no e-tailers have any concrete details that I could find, could it possibly have been delayed?

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Clerks Uncensored: The Animated Series has been $16.99 at local Media Play stores for the past couple of weeks. I'm glad to hear that the original film is getting marked down as well; it's impossible to find it at a B&M for under $30...until Tuesday, that is.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
The two twin packs Best Buy offers for $14.99 also caught my eye, although I think I'll pass on both, since I already own one of the two films in each pack.
Pi and Requiem For A Dream is one of them, although it's the R-rated version of Requiem, according to the ad.
The Way Of The Gun and Killing Zoe is the other one.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
By the way, Meet The Feebles wasn't Peter Jackson's first film. It was his second after Bad Taste.
My wife has already corrected me on this! She did so in Best Buy, where (attention David Lawson!) I picked up the Askewniverse titles at their already-marked down prices (yes, including both Clerks titles).

My blatant apology to my wife is that I wasn't paying attention to her during our conversation; she was on IMDB on one of our PC's, I was surfing HTF on the other one, and I tuned her out at some point. My fault, and I apologize to her at to all of you for the misinformation. Forgive me? :sniff:

Bill Geiger

Second Unit
Just thought I would add a couple in case some of you shop at WalMart.

The Musketeer: 19.95

AI - Artifical Intelligence: 22.95 - March 5

The Last Castle: 19.95 - March 5

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, I guess I'll finally hit the Costco after almosta month away from the store. I plan on getting Twin Peaks; FWWM, and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

Is A.I. even supposed to be released this week? Or Last Castle?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
You're welcome, Ed, and everyone else.
In the meantime...STOP THE PRESSES!!
I always wanted to say that.
Listen, I'm a stupid S.O.B. and I missed a couple of important aspects of Best Buy's sale. One of them was pointed out to me by Matt Birchall in http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&postid=471530&t=6496#post471530[/list]In other news, I also missed out on mentioning Best Buy's OTHER offer: to get a free $5 gift card when you buy either the DVD or the VHS of Cinderella II: Dreams Come True. This sounds like a stinker and I don't want it, but if YOU do want it then the price comes out to $11.99, plus more savings if you're getting it with 2 other DVD titles. "Offer begins Tuesday Feb. 26th; In-Store Only". :)
Sorry for missing these with my earlier post, folks! I guess I was anxious to get to BB and start saving money...
(Y'know, they ought to be giving me kickbacks, as often as they "win" these roundups! Maybe Costco, too. Sigh. Nothing for David...just high credit card bills :frowning: )

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I was in Super Target today and they had Cast Away marked down to $14.99. At the register it came up $19.99, but I told the clerk, and she changed it, no questions asked. So, I'm not sure if it's for real or not, but it may be worth checking out if you don't already have this (and want it).

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Patrick, those are both March 5th. I believe I know where you're going with that. Sorry, Bill!
I would ask that only The Last Castle be removed from that list, since I wouldn't want anyone to subject themselves to that dreck, especially for $20 sight unseen. :D
David, I was just about to post the Jay And Silent Bob/$5 off deal, but I see you've beaten me to it.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
you can buy J&SBSB, Clerks, and Chasing Amy and save $10 ($5 for the J&SB with either Clerks or Amy and $5 for buying 3 DVDs at once).
Although I hope I'm wrong, I would be surprised if Best Buy let you take advantage of both offers at once on the same DVDs. I'll definitely try it Tuesday though - I've been looking for an excuse to "upgrade" my Clerks LD to DVD, and the price reduction in combination with the J&SBSB combo deal is just the ticket. Getting a third DVD with another $5 off would be gravy!! :D
David, I'm guessing you've already opened your Clerks DVDs? Otherwise, I'd suggest you take one of them back Monday and get a refund (say you got it as a BD present or something). Then rebuy it Tuesday with J&SBSB to get the $5 off.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
I was in Super Target today and they had Cast Away marked down to $14.99. At the register it came up $19.99, but I told the clerk, and she changed it, no questions asked. So, I'm not sure if it's for real or not, but it may be worth checking out if you don't already have this (and want it).

One of the best things about Target is that they are not supposed to do price checks if the item is within $20 of the price that rings up. This keeps customers from getting upset at non-moving lines and also shows that they have a little faith in customer honesty. You just don't see that much anymore!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Bill, really, all you have to do is edit your post to remove the name of the store. Perhaps replace it with asterisks. Nothing else need be done!
David, I'm guessing you've already opened your Clerks DVDs? Otherwise, I'd suggest...
Yeah, I'm a blathering dolt...I opened it up immediately. Both of 'em. :rolleyes
A fool and his money...

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
David,

I don't personally find it to be morally reprehensible though some may, but you could just rebuy both Clerks discs that you just got on Tuesday with J&SBSB and then return the two, now unopened copies, with the original receipt. Therefore still getting the discount...

-Chad

Stephen L

Second Unit
In other news, I also missed out on mentioning Best Buy's OTHER offer: to get a free $5 gift card when you buy either the DVD or the VHS of Cinderella II: Dreams Come True. This sounds like a stinker and I don't want it, but if YOU do want it then the price comes out to $11.99, plus more savings if you're getting it with 2 other DVD titles. "Offer begins Tuesday Feb. 26th; In-Store Only".
I think it is a stinker myself but my just turned 4yo DD will think its a winner . I'll gladly take the $5 card as my wife planned to purchase this anyway to go with all the other sequels :rolleyes:.I can hardly wait until Return to Neverland makes it to DVD.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
FYI -- There are some good Costco deals going on. I saw the Twin Peaks Season 1 box set for $39.99 and two-pack Disney DVDs (Dinosaur & The Emperor's New Groove) for $19.99.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Chad, thanks for voicing that idea...I actually thought of that yesterday myself. I'm thinking about it, but I actually think that - since I've spent something like $3000 just on DVDs at my local BB and the manager knows it, then if I ask him nicely he'll take care of me. If not, then I'll write to corporate again. Last time I did that they sent me a $25 gift card! ;)
Mark, thanks for the input. Actually those items were covering in previous Weekly Roundups, which I'd point to except that they were deleted when this section was removed and re-installed. In any case, a reminder never hurts, so thanks for pointing them out. These are Costco's everyday prices on these items, so get 'em while they last! Especially Tarzan: CE, since it CAN'T be reordered!
Also I'll point out that, if you're not a CostCo member, or if you're local CostCo is out of stock (mine didn't get there stock until weeks late!), then Wal-Mart has the Twin Peaks box set for $43.99. Pertinant info with TP:FWWM streeting on Tuesday.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks