What's new

Weekly Roundup 2/25 (Sci-Fi TV week) (1 Viewer)

Gary_E

Second Unit
Also from Best Buy...

Maxtor 120 gig hard drive = $99.00 after rebates
Kingston 256 MB DDR RAM = $29.00 after rebates

If you buy both of the above units, you get a $10.00 gift card towards your next Best Buy purchase.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I gotta work on my sarcasm. :)

Thanks for the effort David. BTW, hope you get better.

Should the DD and DTS versions of Road to Perdition be the same price? I'm opting for the DTS version if the price difference is small.

BTW, David, have you checked out Cinema Paradiso yet?

MikeSRC

Second Unit
Best Buy will sell you both Road to Perdition and American Beauty for $20, if purchased together. Are deals like this CALCULATED to be on older titles that have already been on sale numerous times and which most everybody already owns?
I think they usually are. :frowning:
However, in this case there's a reason since they're both Sam Mendes directed films.

BTW, the reviews on RtP have indicated that the DD and DTS soundtracks are pretty equal in quality, but supposedly the DD version has the HBO special as one of the extras and the DTS version doesn't.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Will BB have both the DD and DTS versions of Road to Perdition? If so, is there a difference in content in terms of extras between the versions? If not is there a likely qualitative difference in picture quality with less space being available on the DTS version? Thanks.

Joel

MikeSRC

Second Unit
According to the Best Buy near me, they will have both versions. The DTS version does not have the 25 minute HBO "Making Of" special that the DD version does. As I mentioned above, both versions have been well reviewed for their sound quality, so it's up to you whether you care about the extra documentary in the DD version.

I saw it a couple of times on HBO, so I'll probably just get the DTS version for what's usually a more precise soundstage.

BTW, thanks to Dave for his usual thorough job scoping out the deals. :emoji_thumbsup:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Doubtful. I never saw QAF1 in-store or online at Costco. Apparently it sold well enough for Sam's Club if they're bringing back S2.

Dave Corder

Stunt Coordinator
Best Buy will sell you both Road to Perdition and American Beauty for $20, if purchased together. Are deals like this CALCULATED to be on older titles that have already been on sale numerous times and which most everybody already owns?
Am I correct in assuming that there is only one DVD edition of American Beauty (ie, just the Awards Edition)? Am I also correct in assuming that this deal at BB is good for any of the three versions of Road to Perdition? I've not seen either of these movies, but they both sound like excellent movies and I am very tempted to pick them both up this week, especially for only $20 total.

Many thanks,

Dave C

Nick Cerretti

Stunt Coordinator
Only one version of American Beauty - the dts one.

And I'll go out on a limb and say any version of RtP should work. All 3 versions are selling at 14.99. Although I wouldn't put it past BB to say you need to get the P&S version to get the deal :laugh:

Still, I've never seen AB, and didn't plan on getting RtP, but for 20 bucks, heck yeah!

W/ Farscape S2 V5, RtP, AB, and XS:E1 this week, I'm going to be one busy person!

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Knockaround Guys is actually pretty good-- it was on the shelf for some time, true, but is pretty much intact, unlike our other Vin Diesel film, A Man Apart, which has been tinkered with for the last 2 years. It's definitely worth a rent. (Yes, I work for New Line Cinema, but don't expect me to repeat my opinion of The Friday After Next in late March!).

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Any word on the pricing of Road To Perdition at Target? Better question, are they carrying the widescreen DTS version?

Chris S.

Kevin Hill

Auditioning
Just got back from BB.
Both movies (RTP & AB) ring up @ $10 a piece.
AB was flying out of the store. Southfield, MI store had ~15 left of AB.
They carried the WS-DTS and FS versions of RTP only.

As for the Knockaround guys deal, they had ~10 Boiler Rooms left. Also I PMed Knockaround to Target's 15.99 for an extra dollar in savings.

Since this is my first time posting in these threads, just wanted to thank david for all the hard work each every week.

Robert McLay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
I went to Sam's Club in Michigan and they didn't have Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, nor did they know if they ever would get it when they looked it up. Went next door to WalMart and they had if for $96.63. They also had Road to Perdition for $14.98, and Knockaround Guys for $15.98. Road to Perdition was only available in FS and WS-Dolby Digital - No DTS. I PM'd at Circuit City for the DTS version and bought everything else at WalMart - because I too had a horrible time with Best Buy last week, so they will be getting very little of my hard earned money from now on.

Rob

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
After seeing that the DTS version of Road to Perdition also includes the Dolby Digital 5.1 English and French audio tracks, I've really gotta wonder what the reasoning was in releasing a separate widescreen version that merely replaced the DTS track with a practically worthless promo piece. Are Walmart customers confused by the concept of DTS tracks or something? :angry:

No one has mentioned yet two other releases today. "Forsyte Saga" PBS 1969 version 7 discs. Amazon has it listed for 112.49 Best Buy(online) 118.99 Circuit City(online) 149.99 and Costco 99.99. The second release is "Tales of the City" Maupin's original series which inspired the "More" and "Further" series. Amazon - 44.96 Best Buy(online) 59.99 Circuit City(online) 49.99. Costco, not surprisingly, doesn't list it. However, my favorite Deep Discout has it listed at 35.98.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Regarding Tales of the City, Best Buy's website lists 2 editions, one with an autographed insert. There is no other differentiation, and the price is the same between the two listed "items". Does anyone know what this insert is, and if all editions will have it? The DDD price is very attractive.

ChristopherDM

Stunt Coordinator
Best Buy didnt have any DS9:angry:
and only RTP in the DTS/DD or Fullscrean so I left went to CC and while they didnt have DS9 and wanted too much for RTP I did pick up Norah Jones(10.99) and DareDevil(12.99) CD's

Went to Target No DS9, so went to Wally World had DS9 which suprised me, for 96.69 so pick that up with RTP Dolby and went on my merry way :D

Cheers!
Chris

PS: Wal-Mart(has all TNG seasons for 99 each) is starting to improve itself and with Target doing well, it seems the realize the loss in sales they where getting from Best Buy and CC which now seem to be taking ppl for granted. I dunno

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
If I had to guess, everyone under-ordered DS9. They probably got 6-10 copies per store instead of the 50 they were getting with TNG and it was outta here

Bill Gato

Stunt Coordinator
The Best Buy in my city ran out of American Beauty so I had a choice of getting a rain check for the movie or choosing another movie valued at $14.99 to complete the Road to Perdition/American Beauty for $20 deal.

I perused the aisles and settled on Iron Monkey. It's amazing how many my most wanted movies were 17.99 and up. It was pretty slim pickings in the $14.99 price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks