What's new

Weekly RoundUp 2-21-2006 (1 Viewer)

Matt.K

Agent
Thanks Mike and Patrick for all the hard work you two put into this each and every week. No new releases for me this week. However, I'll be getting The Office: Season 1 at Circuit City for $12.99. I've been waiting awhile now for this to go back on sale as I missed out when it was $13.99 at CC awhile back.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks to Crawdaddy for stopping by and dropping the dime on Controversials #2. I totally meant to include that info in the RoundUp this week but plumb forgot. Thanks! I was on a business trip all day Saturday and didn't get back until late. When I think about it, I'm actually pretty surprised I get the RoundUp posted as often as I do without a delay or problems! :D

Pat...not much info on transfers...but you can read about some bonus features HERE.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I got delayed in posting back, but I had found that link. Thanks. It sounds like it's some great comedians in some pretty mediocre films. I think I'll pass. I know I like the Benchley shorts, so I'll be getting just those.

I'd love to get an improved transfer of The Stranger, but it doesn't sound likely from that link.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
George, here's a review of the 2-disc ATPM. While it doesn't compare the transfer to the previous release, the words "fantastic" and "outstanding presentation" are used in regards to the video transfer.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Robert Benchley rocks. Some of the funniest comedy shorts of all time came from him. I will be getting that for my collection.

Thanks for the round-up guys.

Steve

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Just a note - DVD Beaver has comparison reviews up of all three titles in Warner's upcoming "Controversial Classics" box. Their conclusion is that all three transfers are improved. Based on their screenshots, I agree. In addition, all three titles, having been expanded to 2-disc sets, have significant new extras.

Bottom line: if you have any interest in the great American films of the 70s, this set is a must-buy.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor

DVDFile has their review up.

STAY AWAY from this set!!

The transfers are said to be horrendous, and there's a "garash red logo" on the bottom right corner of every frame of all four features!!

Sounds like one of the worst releases of all time!!

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Chris Minogue

Stunt Coordinator

That's a very good comparison actually. I've head that said more than once about the show/film.

Just rent it and see if you like it. If you like musicals, the 2 hour documentary about the SHOW on DISC 2 might interest you as well.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Ya know, I gotta disagree with the idea that Moulin Rouge is a good yardstick for Rent. First off, Rent is, despite the more "rock"-oriented songs, a traditional Broadway musical at heart, in that the songs were written to tell this specific story. MR's song score was a pastiche of pop/rock tunes from the past few decades which the creators wove a story around. More importantly, the hyperactive editing (especially the first 20 minutes) that drove some people away from MR is not really an issue in Rent.

Chris is right - the "Hair" comparison is much more appropriate.

That said, definitely "rent" (ha, ha) this one first. The characters can be unsympathetic. At times I wanted to yell at the screen, "Grow up and get a job!!". But in the end, the show won me over. If you enjoy musicals, it's worth a watch.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

I just want to clarify that RENT is in no way edited like Moulin Rouge. It is shot like a traditional musical but given that both take cues from the same source material, La Bohème, and therefore have similar themes, I think they complement each other very well.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

No doubt, people need to remember that two of those titles were previously released on dvd back in 1997 and the third one was in 1998. Since then, Warner has been busy with the film elements.:)

Crawdaddy

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
RENT has a central narrative. The movie makes it very easy to follow and it is a great show... nothing like Moulin Rouge (which was also very good, but different in its storytelling style).

Roy Van Nostrand

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Roy Van Nostrand
I wonder... should I rent Rent?

I don't usually rent. Waiting for the Warner Bros. Classics Collection box set price to see if I'll buy the three of 'em or not, so far Dog Day is the only one on my list.

North Country, Seperate Lies and The Weatherman for me. I've got to finish using up a "Holiday" gift card at BB.

Big thanks for providing the pricing information! ...as usual, stellar job!

Looking foward to next week.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Best Buy sucks story #15,067:

I REALLY wanted to get Young Mr. Lincoln today. So, off I go to Best Buy...which had the best price around.

Couldn't find one on the shelf...so I asked a blue shirt. He looked in his computer and said, "Oh, it's not coming out until March 7."

I said, "No. It was released last week. Your web site even said so."

He must have looked at me and watched my mouth move...but heard nothing come out...because he just said, "Yeah...it'll be out March 7."

I just backed away.

I then went to Borders thinking I might use one of their 20% off coupons (posted in another thread for anyone who might be interested). Somehow Borders had a copy. :rolleyes:But at $40, I passed it up and will wait until a better deal. $40 - $8 (20%) = $32 which is still higher than Best Buy's $30.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Mike, it appears you don't want to buy it online, but $23.21 shipped at DDD may be worth the extra time you'll have to wait to get it (plus, you'll probably have it by BB's "release date" of 3/7). And it's even in stock (as I type this, at least).

Julio Diaz

Stunt Coordinator
Mike, sorry to hear your BB horror story. At one point I was boycotting the chain due to a horrendous streak of bad service culminating in a store manager deciding it was OK to make a 4-year-old girl cry over a 5-cent balloon. I'd sworn off them forever.

But then, as a going away present from my old job when I accepted a promotion/transfer to another paper, I was given a BB Gift Card, so I waited until I moved and used it here in Pensacola. And I have to say, the store here is generally great. The employees are friendly and helpful and are usually very good about anything you ask of them (the exception: rainchecks for out of stock items, which to a person they refuse to give out until the final day of any given sale - even if you're there just before closing on Friday night when the sale ends Saturday and they KNOW they aren't getting another truck before it ends). I now shop at my local store quite frequently and even bought some appliances and HT equipment there, and I even joined RZ.

So I'm aware that typically BB sucks, but here's a shout out to the Pensacola store, which is definitely an exception to that rule.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks