What's new

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Where to find the Best Deals on Movies & TV Shows on 4k/UHD, Blu-ray and DVD…
The Features
full

– Do the Right Thing – 1989
full

– The Last Blockbuster – 2020
full

– Anna Lucasta – 1958
full

– The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman – 1974

full

– Let Him Go – 2020

full

– A Man Called Adam – 1966

The...

Continue reading...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Happy Groundhog Day, woodchuck-chuckers! (And RoundUppers!)

Another relatively light week of interesting new releases...but maybe one or two which might perk your interest.

Safe shopping!

bill murray well its groundhog day again GIF

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thank you, Mike!

Next week, I'm actually getting a movie which I don't see in the Roundup.

Wild Mountain Thyme.jpg

This is a romantic comedy based on the play Outside Mullingar, which was also written by John Patrick Shanley. I saw the play a few years ago with a friend and liked It very much, so will be blind buying the disc. I am very much looking forward to seeing the film. It had a nominal theatrical run and PVOD rental window in December, but I decided to hold off for the disc rather than pay $19.99 for a 48-hour rental. Unfortunately, it is a DVD only release with no Blu-ray counterpart. But I still want it.

Amazon's current price is $14.96, but I preordered it at $16.99 and it hasn't been adjusted down yet. That's weird, as the pre-order guarantee usually drops the price within a day of the price dropping on the site. I also have a $5 courtesy credit from Amazon applied to the order because they screwed up one of my previous orders, so I can't cancel and re-order or I would lose that credit. However, they should honor the lower base price as part of the pre-order guarantee plus the $5 credit on top of that. We'll see what happens. There's still a while until it would need to ship to get here by next week, so I will continue to monitor the situation and take it up with Amazon if I need to do so. Has anyone else ever had a situation like this?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks for the RoundUp. There are a couple of quality items on this week's schedule, but more tantalizing items are in the future.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Thank you, Mike!

Next week, I'm actually getting a movie which I don't see in the Roundup.

View attachment 87007

This is a romantic comedy based on the play Outside Mullingar, which was also written by John Patrick Shanley. I saw the play a few years ago with a friend and liked It very much, so will be blind buying the disc. I am very much looking forward to seeing the film. It had a nominal theatrical run and PVOD rental window in December, but I decided to hold off for the disc rather than pay $19.99 for a 48-hour rental. Unfortunately, it is a DVD only release with no Blu-ray counterpart. But I still want it.

Amazon's current price is $14.96, but I preordered it at $16.99 and it hasn't been adjusted down yet. That's weird, as the pre-order guarantee usually drops the price within a day of the price dropping on the site. I also have a $5 courtesy credit from Amazon applied to the order because they screwed up one of my previous orders, so I can't cancel and re-order or I would lose that credit. However, they should honor the lower base price as part of the pre-order guarantee plus the $5 credit on top of that. We'll see what happens. There's still a while until it would need to ship to get here by next week, so I will continue to monitor the situation and take it up with Amazon if I need to do so. Has anyone else ever had a situation like this?
I'm slated to review that, but I requested the studio send a digital code rather than a DVD, so we'll see what they send.

I'm also slated to review Let Him Go on Blu-ray for this week.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Catalog week. Will probably get Ladybugs and Mouse Hunt at some point.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm slated to review that, but I requested the studio send a digital code rather than a DVD, so we'll see what they send.

Could you redeem a digital code prior to street date if they do send it that way? I've always thought the digital codes become active on street date, but maybe I'm wrong.

The play version has a rather bizarre turn at the end that doesn't quite work as well as the preceding stuff. But I'm still looking forward to seeing the film.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Could you redeem a digital code prior to street date if they do send it that way? I've always thought the digital codes become active on street date, but maybe I'm wrong.

The play version has a rather bizarre turn at the end that doesn't quite work as well as the preceding stuff. But I'm still looking forward to seeing the film.
The street date for digital and DVD are the same, so in most cases the answer would be "No." I will most likely receive it on DVD, though. Digital was not an option on the request form the studio sent me, but in my request I mentioned in the comments that I preferred digital over DVD. In these situations in the past, I have almost always ended up with DVD.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I just noticed that the DVD of Wild Mountain Thyme is currently #15 on Amazon's movies and TV chart. Considering all that Amazon sells, that's a pretty high ranking for a movie that Universal did not deem worthy of a Blu-ray release.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Not a movie, but something else which might interest some people here: Ethan Hawke has a new novel coming out Tuesday.

Although known primarily for his acting work, he is multitalented and two of his Oscar nominations were actually for co-writing the screenplays for Before Sunset and Before Midnight. I'm really looking forward to seeing what he has come up with in this book.

Amazon has it for $24.95, or Barnes & Noble is selling pre-signed non-personalized copies for $27.99. I usually won't pay for an autograph, but I was going to buy the book regardless so I decided to go ahead and splurge on the signed one in this specific case. I do like and respect Hawke's work a lot, so it will be nice to have. Since the book is coming directly from B&N rather than a third party seller, I know the signature will be authentic.

The book is about an actor who is dealing with his recent divorce while preparing for a Broadway production of Henry IV, which Hawke was actually in back in 2003-4. So while it is a novel, it seems like at least some of it is related to Hawke's own experience. He is reading the audiobook himself so I might get that too.

Hawke.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks