Weekly Roundup 2/19

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lambert, Feb 17, 2002.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, the week of the release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website...but it COULD still be in-stores!
    Without further ado, here is the latest grid:

_______TITLE__________Amazon_BestBuy_CrcCity_CostCo_SamsClub
    Balto________________$18.74__$22.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Balto 2: Wolf Quest__$18.74__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Don't Say A Word_____$20.98__$17.99__$16.99__$17.99__$18.49
    Escape/Grizzly Mtn.__$11.21__$_N/A___$10.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Ferngully: Last Rnf__$14.98__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Frances - Spec. Ed.__$14.98__$17.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Hardball_____________$22.49__$19.99__$16.99__$18.99__$_N/A_
    Jo Jo Dancer: YLIC___$14.96__$14.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    NG Beyond/Mov: LotR__$18.74__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    "O"__________________$18.74__$17.99__$16.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Roughnecks:STC Vol3__$18.71__$_N/A___$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Roughnecks:STC Vol4__$18.71__$_N/A___$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Thumbelina___________$14.98__$_N/A___$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Troll in Central Pk__$14.98__$_N/A___$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_

* Circuit City seems to rule the roost this week, eh? With only two exceptions, they beat everyone's prices - even the warehouse stores - except for two of them. What got into THEM? [​IMG]
    * Reminder: Sam's Club has the JVC DVD Player with the bonus behind-the-scenes-of-"Lord of the Rings" disc for just $139.98 (SRP is $250), with plenty of them still in stock at my local outlet.
    http://shop.newline.com/escalate/store/DetailPage?pls=newline&bc=newline&prod=013d80328437&clist=01368032f8ac:013d80328435:
    * Best Buy has a load of titles selling for just $11.99 this week, including recent Paramount markdowns like An Officer and a Gentleman, Witness, In Harm's Way, South Park, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and others. Also, Das Boot, Dark Crystal, and Labyrinth come to mind. Oh, did I mention Face/Off? Good companions to the 10%-off preferred customer coupons that some of us (including me) got for this weekend...good through Presidents Day!
    * Circuit City has Dirty Dancing, Poetic Justice, and Last Man Standing for just $8.99!
    * Target has Hardball for $16.99 (nice price!...matches CC's), Balto II: Wolf Quest for $19.99, and Don't Say A Word for "Low Price".
    * K-Mart has Hardball for $22.95 ( [​IMG] ), Balto II: Wolf Quest for $19.95, and Don't Say A Word for $19.95. They also have some cheapy storage racks for just $19-ish, if you need something quick and easy. I have a trio of the "fold-out" kind that are on sale, and they are indeed worth the money (I spent $10 more, IIRC).
    The latest markdowns according to VideoTropics web site (DVD Title/Old SRP/New SRP):
    -------------------------
    • Demetrius And The Gladiators $24.98 $19.98
    Wow, dude...that's the only one! And none others listed until MARCH!! [​IMG]

2. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

David,

Thanks again for the info, though I must say my pocketbook is going to be getting quite a rest until March 5. Nothing I personally want is coming out til then.

3. David Lambert

George, not much for me, either. Just the National Geographic LotR thing for the wife. I feel like I OUGHT to want the family titles, but frankly my son has plenty to watch and better things coming soon. I'll remember them when we hit a rough spot or if my Don Bluth collection feels needy! [​IMG] Otherwise, the only other interesting thing is "Don't Say A Word".
    If I was interested in "Hardball", I'd get the original: Bad News Bears! I should pick that up, but I will pay off some of those credit card bills first! [​IMG]
    Good week to do so....

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Hardball wouldn't be that bad of a rental. I saw it when it was in the theaters.

It also looks like a barren week of DVD buying for me, I don't think I've bought anything *gasp* in the month of February.

5. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Don't forget that Circuit City is also selling the 2-disc SE of Planet of the Apes for $11.99. Its on the back page of the circular, and I picked it up yesterday.
    Pretty good if you haven't gotten it already. And they didn't even ask me to buy a service plan on it.

6. DaveJJ

DaveJJ Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info, David! Your weekly update is very helpful and a time saver when purchasing DVD. Target is also selling Don't Say A Word at $16.99.
    DaveJJ[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Have Fun Guys!My HT

7. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    I bought Panic yesterday at Best Buy for $9.99 [​IMG].
    -Christian

8. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Thanks again, David.
    You know, I've been losing track of release date info (not bothering to scour the net like I used to in the "Coupon Days of DVD"). Well, I find myself looking to this helpful thread every week now! You are my new Reel.com - except hopefully you won't go under like that company did. [​IMG]

9. David Lambert

As always, everyone is welcome for the postings. I wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy it at some level. Cheers,

10. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Just want to confirm the Planet of the Apes at Circuit City for $11.99 in Los Angeles. I got the CC Circular in my area and it didn't have POTA advertised (which was too bad because I was going to have BB do a 110% difference, which would have been sizable since they have it for $22.99).

Walked into the West LA CC and there it was (POTA) for $11.99!

11. David_Jr

David_Jr Supporting Actor

Dave
    It was on the back page of the flyer, toward the bottom. It was in ours anyway.

12. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Costco does have the National Geo. LOTR special for $16.99. I saw it there last night.

13. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

SamGoody.com has the LOTR National Geographic for $11.24. This ends up being $14.23 including shipping.

14. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

15. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Dave, I continue to be impressed by your Weekly Roundups. And thanks to whomever it was for that POTA nugget! I don't own that one...YET! [​IMG]

16. David Lambert

Costco is definately now carrying National Geographic Beyond the Movie: The Lord of the Rings for $16.99. This was added to their web site within the past few days.
    Although I cannot find it listed at the Sam's Club website, the 10th post in this thread states that Sam's Club is selling this same item for only $8.99!! Wow! [​IMG] They might be referring to a VHS, though, at that price.