What's new

Weekly Roundup 2/18 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
So where's everyone buying Cinema Paradiso from for the lowest price?

CompUSA was also offering FOTR UE (with the bookends) for $49.99.

John O

Stunt Coordinator
I was hoping to make Cinema Paradiso my second Disney title at Best Buy and get it for 17.99 :).

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Got to Wal-Mart today to pick up Color Purple SE, MASH S3, Spy Kids 2, and Stargate-UE. I mentioned that yesterday I had called to let them know that they were beat on the prices of SK2 (Toys R Us) and MASH (CompUSA), so I was expecting to see those items with prices lower than $14.99 and $27.99, right?

Wrong. SK2 was marked $15.18, and MASH didn't have a price marked on it at all! I figured I'd look for CP and SG first, before addressing that. Looked all over, couldn't spot either one. 4 employees were all over the area, putting out stock and so forth. I asked the one in charge if they had gotten CP in today. She turned to another one, and asked "didn't you put out a copy of that earlier?" She sure had, and turned to a rack of el cheapo titles. Yep, she tried to hand me the old version!

I explained that there was a new 2-disc SE out today, and the lady holding the old one agreed, saying she'd heard an ad on the radio. The one in charge said, "well...it's not on my list".

"Okay, thanks. Bye!"

Headed over to Circuit City, where I picked up everything except MASH (they didn't get it...I've never seen S1 or S2 there, either) and the Store Director himself pricematched Toys R Us on SK2. :) Stopped at CompUSA and nabbed MASH. I'm happy enough now. But what a weird experience at Wal-Mart! :eek:

josh4040

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
Well, I had quite the afternoon! I went out today with a gameplan, buy fear and loathing, one hour photo and the color purple. I planned to get photo and purple at cc for the cheaper price and since I knew my cc never has anything new that is not in their ad, I felt I could get Fear and Loathing at best buy. So first of all CC was so incredibly rude! They never have anyone to help you and their shelves are always stocked so that I can never find what I need to find. They luckily for me had 1 copy of one hour photo in widescreen. This as opposed to the 12 copies of the movie in fullscreen! The color purple was not in the new release section. I tried to find it in the alphabetical stacks, but there was none with the exception of one copy of the non special edition. I went to ask one of their dim witted employees for help and he tells me "this ain't my department." I tell him can you please get someone to come to this department, (even though he was the only cc employee in the dvd section) or should I just take your ad to Best Buy and get them to price match it for me. The man tells me... "fine go to them we don't care price match it with them that's fine. So I turn to leave, and run right into the special edition of the Color Purple on a side rack with a bunch of old James Bond Movies and the like. Next I go to Best Buy, as soon as I hit the dvd department, I find someone who is smiling and willing to help me. :) unfortunately they too did not have fear and loathing in las vegas criterion. Next I tried costco to no avail, finally I went to Tower Records where I got The criterion editon for 29.99. All and all it was a successful trip, I even found something I wasn't expecting in Pride of the Yankees, and the trip to Costco got me the new John Grisham book. :D

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well officially picked up MB:SE & SG:UE at BB for $33 w/ tax. Next time I'm in Huntington Beach visiting my friend (may be as soon as this weekend or next weekend) I will stop by ken cranes...err...dvdplanet and pick up Fear and Loathing + Cinema Paradiso.
Oh...and maybe Sports Illustrated Swimsuit 2003

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well my Wal-Mart had Spy Kids 2 for $14.88 and my Costco had MASH Season 3 for $25.99, so those were a couple of pleasant surprises.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Costco had Cinema Paradiso for $17.99.

Nothing really hits my fancy this week besides Cinema Paradiso. I've seen the films that were released on DVD, and none make my "gotta buy it today" list.

Jodee

Screenwriter
Costco had Cinema Paradiso for $17.99.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

I'm going to have to return my copy to Best Buy. I picked it up for $22.99 last night on a spur of the moment whim, but I immediaitely felt dirty.

I'm a bargain-hunter and that's way more than I ever pay for a DVD.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm glad I could save you $5! :D

But make sure you go to Costco first (in case my eyes deceived me) because I don't want to hear how I f-ed up, and you returned Cinema Paradiso at Best Buy, and then had to go back and re-buy it again from Best Buy. Hee hee hee.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
nothing for me this week.

as always, your efforts are appreciated dave. i can honestly say you have the only posting i look forward to every week. :emoji_thumbsup: :D

Greg S

Supporting Actor
As usual thanks again David!!

Very light past few weeks for me (which is nice) only thing for me is SG:UE and I preordered it from DDD a while ago so no need to even go anywhere (good thing considering the nice ICE storm we got blasted with for the past 3 days).

(now next week will hit the wallet)

Greg

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

They might if BB isn't within their market. And since you're asking if they'll price match, it sounds like BB must be a distance away.

I don't know how close a competitor has to be to be considered "in market." I'd guess less than 5 miles. :confused:

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Hmmm Costco has Cinema Paradiso for $17.99. Don't you have to be a member though? If that's the case, no one will price match. :angry:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
my Costco had MASH Season 3 for $25.99
I swung into Costco today and saw that they didn't have MASH in stock at all at this location, so it's moot as to whether George's price would have been correct locally or if the $28.99 price in my Roundup would have been the one. Ah well, I can't complain too hard about my $27.99 price at CompUSA.

I checked into that Fox $4 off w/coupon deal while at Costco, and found the Entrapment - SE was one of the titles. I decided to snag it.

The complete list of titles involved are: Entrapment - SE, Independance Day (Fullscreen), Castaway (Fullscreen), Kiss of the Dragon, Courage Under Fire, Office Space, Shallow Hal, Last of the Mohicans (Director's Ext.), Don't Say A Word, Behind Enemy Lines, Planet of the Apes (2001), The Abyss (looked like the 1-disc). They were located together on a palletted cardboard display near the cash registers, off to the side as you head to tobacco and pharmacy (I always thought it funny those dept's were so close to each other! :) ).

I looked for, but did not see Cinema Paradiso there at Costco.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Hey Dave, go over to Home Theater Software and check out Ron's Review for Cinema Paradiso.

BTW, it gets a recommendation from me.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
My Costco had M*A*S*H for $25.99, but no Cinema Paradiso in sight.:frowning:

(They also no longer had How Green Was My Valley, which I was all set to pick up)

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks