What's new

Weekly RoundUp 2/17 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
"I should've kicked her in the face! I should've scratched out her eyes! "
--Melissa Sue Gilbert as Laura Ingalls (Little House on the Prairie)

[c]The Weekly RoundUp[/c]
[C]_________TITLE__________ _ _Amazon _ BestBuy _ CrcCity _ Target_ _ Costco_ Sam’s Club_
American Gun________ _ $25.49 __ $21.99 __ $22.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_
Blow-Up_____________ _ $13.99 __ $16.99 __ $15.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_
Bob&Rose: Series____ _ $25.48 __ $24.99 __ $22.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_
Carnage_____________ _ $21.23 __ $19.99 __ $17.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_
The Damned__________ _ $16.98 __ $16.99 __ $15.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_
Death in Venice_____ _ $16.98 __ $16.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_
Dickie Roberts______ _ $20.99 __ $19.99 __ $15.99 __ $19.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_
Dinosaur Planet_____ _ $16.98 __ $15.99 __ $17.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_
Don’t Tempt Me______ _ $21.23 __ $19.99 __ $19.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_
Dummy_______________ _ $18.89 __ $16.99 __ $19.99 __ $16.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_
Father Ted__________ _ $67.98 __ $69.99 __ $59.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_
The Front___________ _ $21.22 __ $20.99 __ $24.97 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_
Full Metal Panic! #7 _ $20.99 __ $19.99 __ $19.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_
I Accidentally Domed _ $21.24 __ $18.99 __ $19.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_
Le Corbeau (CC)_____ _ $25.46 __ $24.99 __ $22.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_
Little House:Season 4_ $34.96 __ $44.99 __ $39.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_
Mambo Italiano______ _ $18.87 __ $19.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_
Masked & Anonymous__ _ $17.47 __ $20.99 __ $19.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_
Mau Mau Sex Sex_____ _ $25.46 __ $24.99 __ $24.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_
Newsroom: Series____ _ $20.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_
Ninja Scroll: Vol.2_ _ $20.99 __ $16.99 __ $17.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_
Pickup So. Street(CC)_ $25.46 __ $32.99 __ $22.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_
Roswell: Season 1___ _ $41.99 __ $45.99 __ $49.99 __ $45.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_
Runaway Jury________ _ $19.59 __ $16.99 __ $19.99 __ $16.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_
Stone Reader SE_____ _ $33.96 __ $34.99 __ $29.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_
Under Pressure______ _ $21.22 __ $22.99 __ $24.97 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_
Tunes of Glory (CC)_ _ $25.46 __ $24.99 __ $22.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_
We Were Mulvaneys___ _ $16.98 __ $14.99 __ $17.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_
[/C]

Third week in the row there’s been confusion over a title. This week its: City of God. Much like Ed Wood two weeks ago and the Ingmar Bergman Collector’s Set last week, City of God has been delayed. Read this HTF thread for some info on why this title is showing up in some flyers this week but has not been actually released.

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed advertisements, the Sunday of the week of release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website or perhaps in their ads...but it COULD still be in-stores!

$_"LP" means the advertisement says "Low Price", and $_"HP" means the advertisement says "Hot Price". Use of either of these in the Roundup grid indicates that I could not locate a definite price for the item, and the ad is all I have to go on. Retailers use these phrases in advertisements so that they do not violate MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreements with the studios. Doing so can cost them thousands or even millions of dollars in co-op advertising funds.

I only include the titles I feel like including (or the ones Dave tells me he's looking for ;o)). In fact, the titles are pretty much the ones I'm personally interested in, with few exceptions. I don't get paid for this, and I don't have time to devote to doing every DVD. Look, Dave has a lovely wife and a five-year-old son that he is spending time with. So, please don't complain. If there is a title not included in the Roundup that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone...like Dave does!

Note that Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii. Also note that I cannot include Wal-Mart prices in the standard Roundup: Wal-Mart sets prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is not a way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart location. When it comes to Wal-Mart prices mentioned at all, just remember that "Your Mileage May Vary".

--Amazon is still featuring free shipping on orders over $25. Restrictions apply.

--BE CAREFUL! Runaway Jury and Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star are available in both Widescreen and Fullscreen versions...get the correct one.

--Best Buy, this week, is offering a 3 for $30 deal on the combined purchase of Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star, Tommy Boy, and Black Sheep.

--Best Buy is also offering, ALONG WITH the purchase of Runaway Jury ($16.99), the purchase of High Crimes (reg. $9.99) for $6.99.

--Bestbuy.com is offering Roswell: Season 1 at a price of $42.99. That’s three dollars less than their store price.

--Toys “R” Us is offering a free Lion King ‘squeeze light” with the purchase, this week, of Lion King 1 ½.

--Hollywood Video has a deal on a new release this week. Get Runaway Jury for just $15.99 after the purchase of any previously viewed movie. This may be your lowest available price for Runaway Jury, so if you don’t mind buying used DVDs and really want that title, this may be the deal for you. Intolerable Cruelty is available for the very same price /deal.

-------------------------

The latest markdowns according to DavisDVD:

EFFECTIVE: FEBRUARY 17, 2004

Behind Enemy Lines, Don't Say A Word, High Crimes ...

20th Century Fox $14.98 (New Price)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Circuit City DVD sale items:

Once Upon a Time in Mexico $15.99

$19.99 each:
Lion King 1 1/2
Fighting Temptations
Radio
Intolerable Cruelty
American Wedding
Under the Tuscan Sun
Secondhand Lions
In the Cut

$9.99 each:
The Hunted
Old School
Anger Management
Jackass
Identity
Love and Basketball
Narc
Ghost Ship
Blue Collar Comedy Tour
Hollywood Homicide
Blade 2
Seven (Single disc)
Goldmember
Blade
Romeo and Juliet
Knockaround Guys
The Core
Half Past Dead
Rush Hour
Jason Goes to Hell
Enemy at the Gates
High Crimes
Don't Say a Word
First Wives Club
Out Cold
Mr. Deeds
Behind Enemy Lines

$6.99 each:
Why Do Fools Fall in Love
Pee Wee's Big Adventure
Cutthroat Island
Big Easy
Cop Land
Replicant
Forces of Nature
Holy Man

------------

Best Buy DVD sale items:

2 for $25:
Good Will Hunting
From Dusk Till Dawn
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
Chocolat
40 Days and 40 Nights
The Others
O Brother Where Art Thou
The Crow
Rounders
Life is Beautiful
Clerks
Serendipity
Bridget Jone's Diary
Scary Movie 2
Cider House Rules
Shakespeare in Love
Chasing Amy

2 for $20 when you buy:

Unbreakable and Signs

------------
Target DVD sale items:

2 for $20 (probably will ring up as $10 each):
SNL - Will Ferrell
Sound of Music
Daredevil
Signs
Anger Management
Bend it like Beckham
Basic

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Thanks, Mike and Patrick!

So... there are only about 3 or 4 titles on that list that I am familiar with. Anyone know which of these titles (besides "Runaway Jury" and "Dickie Roberts") are films whose theatrical release was in 2003?

BB's 2 for $25 on what seems to be mostly Miramax titles looks like a good deal. I'll have to do some checking to see if the DVD incarnation of "Shakespeare in Love" is worth picking up. I generally don't like to buy a DVD unless I'm sure it's the final version that will be released.

Howard Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Mike & Patrick,

Thanks for all the listings...quite a few titles this week!

Mike,

Thanks for including the new Criterion releases, as they sometimes get overlooked. There is also a third Criterion release this week; Le Corbeau.

For anyone interested, dvdplanet.com has each of this week's three Criterion titles for $19.47 each. Shipping is free with a purchase of $25.00 or more.

Also, Outpost.com has Runaway Jury for $15.99.

H

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Finally a break. After tons of titles the past few weeks, and more to come in the upcoming weeks, a nice respite of nothing to buy this week. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Howard:

Thanks for the info! Added Le Corbeau to the grid.

Dane: This is by no means complete, but Dummy was an '03 release. Mulvaneys, American Gun & Carnage were '02 releases. Don't Tempt Me was an '01 release.

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
My local Sam's put Little House on the Prairie Season 4 out early for $29.99 but they wouldn't sell it to me!!!:angry:

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Thanks, as always, Mike. Horrible prices on Dickie Roberts - luckily I don't have Tommy Boy or Black Sheep yet, so I'll probably take advantage of BB's 3/$30 on those.

Eric Ryon

Auditioning
why would anyone need to own black sheep AND tommy boy? weren't they basically the same movie? =p

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Finally, a break from new dvds. Now I can catch up on TV on DVD or get a new GBA game (Metroid : Zero Mission is almost beat now).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dane: Two additions -- Mambo Italiano and I Accidentally Domed Your Son are both 2003 releases.

Can anyone explain to this hopelessly uninformed RoundUp guy what "domed" means?!?! :b :D

I was surprised to find that The Front had not been released yet on DVD. I would think there would be lots of people interested in that title.

And, Crawdaddy posted over in Software about the release of Pickup on South Street.

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Anyone else notice that the 3/30 titles seem to go to $10 each a few weeks after a 3/30 sale? I've notice this a few times and just not sure if there's any proof of this. I'd hate to buy 3 movies when I only want 2. =)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Although there is nothing for me this week, I'd still like to thank you guys for the roundup, because sometimes I'll forget that something is being released a particular week and won't be reminded until I see it in the roundup, so thanks again Mike and Patrick.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
After picking up the Angel Season 3 boxset and 3 of those Fox Studio Classic 4-packs last week, I could use the breather.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I am intrigued by Le Corbeau, may pick that up and possibly Ninja Scroll Vol 2. But that's about it. I may get Roswell, but that'll be somewhere down the line....
Thank goodness a slow week for once! :D

ericLee

Stunt Coordinator
At my best buy, Pulp fiction 2 disc, jackie brown 2 disc and gangs of NY are 2 for $25 also.
amilie and chicago too.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Mike, you may want to change the CC price for Dickie Roberts in the grid (or at least make a note of it below the grid). The flyer lists it as Low Price, with $15.99 being the most likely price for it given the DVDs near it. They must not have updated their Web price on it when you did the Roundup.

And BTW, no TWEC flyers in the ATU I picked up at work today. Watch, now you probably got one in yours today. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Scott: I did not. However, I DID get that Hollywood Video slick flyer in my Friday Times-Union!

Have updated the CC price on Dickie Roberts in the grid to $15.99. Thanks again!

How come nobody's steppin' up to the plate to help with out with this "domed" thing? C'mon, Scott! You're a young happenin' dude! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks