1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Weekly RoundUp 2-12-2019

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Mike Frezon, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I normally pass on by the DVD section of the grid because I rarely ever buy DVDs anymore, but I noticed Shoplifters is on there.

I really enjoyed that movie in theaters and would highly recommend it to anybody who missed it theatrically as at least a rental. I wish there was a Blu-ray release of it.

I'm not sure how much replay value it has, so I'm not going to rush out and buy a copy right now, but it was a really great film.

2. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Kore-Eda is one of the greats and this film should have been released in BD form. To your point, Jake, when my wife and I went to see the film, we met a couple who admitted to having seen the movie once before and coming back to it. That's how impressed they were by it. So maybe, yes, to some people it does have replay value.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  3. Message #23 of 28 Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Yes, of course, personal taste is personal taste and some people will be more inclined to return to it than others. I loved it and would very much enjoy seeing it again. However, it's a very sad movie. I'm not sure I would want to watch it regularly enough to justify a purchase. I have bought some films in the past that are sad because I think they are great, and I want them in my collection because I consider them important films. Every once in a while I will pull one of them out, but more often than not they sit on the shelf and time and again I keep coming back to the ones that are more fun to watch.

Shoplifters is a great film -- there's no question about that -- but for example, at the end of the month I'm going to buy Ralph Breaks the Internet. I know that I will ultimately play Ralph more frequently than I would play Shoplifters, because it's an easier and more fun watch. That's not a value judgment on Shoplifters, which I love and have recommended on multiple occasions both on this board and elsewhere. But in general, I notice as my collection gets bigger and more and more interesting titles become available, I'm tending to prioritize the ones I know I will watch a lot because they are fun.

Which doesn't mean I wouldn't ever consider buying Shoplifters -- but I know it wouldn't be one I'd watch over and over and over again for pure entertainment, because it's a really heavy film.

YMMV.

4. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Managed to get into Target last night and snagged 4k's of Venom, Nutcracker and the Four Realms and Reign of the Superman for $66 with tax.

5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Yeah. Often enough there is the occasional surprise that doesn't get an HD release.

It's where I found out about What They Had. I ordered the DVD as a blind buy and can't recommend it enough.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I mainly skim the DVD section for TV releases. Seems like most of those are DVD-only anymore.

7. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Personally, I find my use of the RoundUp has changed over the years.

In terms of the consumer end of things, I mostly use it to find out what titles are new in any given week. While I MIGHT be interested to learn about an especially good deal, I get the sense that most release date titles are priced pretty evenly across the market. And, honestly, at my age now, it's more about convenience than it is saving a buck or two by running across town (a lot has changed for me over my 18 years of being on the forum).

But I still find a lot of interesting titles exclusive to the DVD section. Occasionally I'll even end up highlighting one of them as one of the week's 'featured" releases.

Adam Lenhardt likes this.
  8. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    Shoplifters in HD is $13.99 on Prime Video and $14.99 on Vudu.

Jake Lipson likes this.