Weekly RoundUp 2-1-2011 (2 Viewers)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by TravisR

Well, don't those coupons usually qualify it and say it's for "participating retailers" or some such *and* that "all relevant rules must be followed, etc."?

Although a retailer shouldn't lose any $ on the coupon assuming it's applied correctly, but that's just the thing. It's quite possible that some retailers might have some sort of behind-the-scenes deal w/ the distributor, the studio, etc. that might prevent use of such coupons. OR the retailer can always just choose not to be a "participating retailer" unless there's some legal and/or contractual issues that require them to participate, eg. legal issues could potentially be a state-by-state thing for instance.

Finally, it does cost the retailer something to make the effort needed to process/handle coupons much like it costs them something to process/handle credit card payments, and some (smaller B&M) retailers might not want to bother w/ that (and potentially risk breaking certain promo and/or coupon rules, etc. among other things). I'm sure there can be quite a few complications involved in properly processing/handling coupons in general -- just look at how there often seems to be loopholes in how coupons and other promo offers are applied at various retailers and some of the issues will be quite apparent.

Of course, the point is probably moot in most cases for a big superstore chain like BB, but the blanket statement may not really apply to all retailers as one might like to assume. Then again, some of these superstore retailers are clearly trying to implement policies that essentially preempt some of the more potentially troublesome loopholes out there...

_Man_

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by ManW_TheUncool

Well, don't those coupons usually qualify it and say it's for "participating retailers" or some such *and* that "all relevant rules must be followed, etc."?

That's why I said "basically every retailer" instead of "every retailer". I'd be surprised if there was many stores that carried Blu-rays but didn't accept a manufacturer's coupon. Places like Best Buy, Target, Wal Mart, Borders, Barnes And Nobles, Toys R Us, FYE and probably every other chain store in the country will take the coupon (assuming that the clerk knows what they're doing). I suppose there's a few independent video stores left that might not be a participating retailer but indie stores must be very few and far between and are probably charging way more than the $20 pre-coupon price that BB is charging anyway.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I don't shop at B&M stores that often to know, but AFAIK, Costco does not accept most/all non-Costco coupons. Neither does J&R -- that's my main B&M retail outlet for this kind of shopping. I don't know that B&N takes manufacturer coupons either -- some seem to say they don't, which actually would not surprise me at all. Does Borders for another? And you know Amazon and other online stores have no means to accept printed manufacturer coupons (at this time anyway).

I know that I (and many others) have been rejected under certain circumstances by both BB and Target. The worst for me was during the 2009 holiday shopping season when I was trying to pick up a copy of Inglourious Basterds BD around release week (and debated between the BB exclusive and Target's better price). In that one case, my local Target actually even rejected their own coupon (printed from their site) -- and that was my one-and-only attempt at using it.

In most other cases, I just haven't bothered to try (nor asked my wife to try) since it's usually not worth the effort.

_Man_

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Costco does not accept manufacturers' coupons, but I think that's because they're sort of a wholesaler.

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
The cashier explicity told me that her manager had instructed her not to accept the $10 coupon off of the sale price of $19.99. I left the disc at the counter and told her I would just go to another Best Buy, which I did. Unfortunately, they were all out of their Blu Ray copies of Alice, but I asked if they accepted the coupon and they indicated that they did. I went to another Best Buy that had the disc in stock, took it to the Cashier and cashed out no problem -- just under $11.

What I hate, is how hard Best Buy makes it on their customers and how inconsistent they are, store to store. I ran into a similar problem with the Fantasia Coupon, which I solved by going to another BB. The problem is that you just never know what store manager is going to refuse the coupon.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by DennisBassi

The cashier explicity told me that her manager had instructed her not to accept the $10 coupon off of the sale price of $19.99. I left the disc at the counter and told her I would just go to another Best Buy, which I did. Unfortunately, they were all out of their Blu Ray copies of Alice, but I asked if they accepted the coupon and they indicated that they did. I went to another Best Buy that had the disc in stock, took it to the Cashier and cashed out no problem -- just under $11.

What I hate, is how hard Best Buy makes it on their customers and how inconsistent they are, store to store. I ran into a similar problem with the Fantasia Coupon, which I solved by going to another BB. The problem is that you just never know what store manager is going to refuse the coupon.

Maybe you could send a complaint to Disney's home video arm? They might be interested to know that Best Buy is doing their best to discourage sales of Disney titles.

The only place I use manufacturer coupons on DVD's anymore is at Walmart or BJ's Wholesale Club. I've never had any issues at either chain.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
The Alice in Wonderland disc is proving very hard to find. I went to a Best Buy, Target and Walmart today and none of them had it. The guy at Walmart said they had not yet received their shipment for some reason. Anyone else running into this problem? My inner conspiracy theorist suspects they are being suppressed until February 8 when the $10 coupon expires. My rational mind, however, suspects it's all just a wacky coincidence.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by SD_Brian

The Alice in Wonderland disc is proving very hard to find. I went to a Best Buy, Target and Walmart today and none of them had it. The guy at Walmart said they had not yet received their shipment for some reason. Anyone else running into this problem? My inner conspiracy theorist suspects they are being suppressed until February 8 when the $10 coupon expires. My rational mind, however, suspects it's all just a wacky coincidence.

I didn't have any problem picking Alice In Wonderland up but I ran into the same problem with Fantasia back in November and the same conspiracy theory ran through my mind.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, since a "participating retailer" gets paid either way, if there's a conspiracy at all, then I guess it all points back to Disney itself since it (and its shareholders) is the one who stands to gain (or lose) depending on whether you use one of its coupons.

_Man_

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I would contact Best Buy's regional office if your local store gives you a hard time. Both Best Buys in my area are staffed with helpful, courteous people who never give me a hard time over coupons and such.

Yesterday after work I went to get Alice. They only had a handful of copies left. It was next to a big rack of $9.99 BDs, where The Expendables caught my eye. (I'm not doing impulse purchases, but I have a BB gift card. :) ). I checked it at a new "Customer Kiosk" computer and it rang up at $12.99. There was no shelf tag for that movie, so I checked a couple others marked $9.99 from that shelf, and they also rang up at $12.99. So I went over to the CS counter, where they called someone to come help me out. We looked for a tag for that movie, but couldn't find one. The guy was apologetic, but said he couldn't adjust the price without a tag. Fair enough, so I thanked him. After he walked away, it suddenly struck me that I should check the *back* side of that shelf, where I found the Expendables tag. I went and found the guy and showed him the tag, and he took me back to the CS counter and told them to ring me up. They did, along with Alice and the Alice coupon. No worries!

Of course, this means nothing to any of you and I should be working right now. . .

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
For those looking to pick up An Affair to Remember coupons.com has a $5 off coupon available.

Actually several other $3 and $4 off coupons as well for specific movies like Wall St, Moulin Rouge and Romeo+Juliet.

Also Affair, All About Eve are priced at $20 at some/many Walmarts.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by David Norman

Including the ones in my area. Thanks for the coupon tip, David.

FWIW, my Best Buy took my $10 Alice coupon with no issue last night.

I also scored their last copy (I think) of Almost Famous on BR ($13.99). It wasn't in their cardboard display of exclusives...but on the shelf under "A". While I was in-line waiting to check out a 20 year old fella came up to me and asked where I found it. I had to tell him that it was the only one I had seen but he went off in optimistic search anyway.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I got one at Best Buy, but there weren't many copies and it was in the regular rack instead of the new release section or a separate display like what usually happens with big Disney release. I figured that it was probably just AiW is often considered a "lesser" film than their really big classics. FWIW, my local BB took the coupon, no problem.

I also scored their last copy (I think) of Almost Famous on BR ($13.99). It wasn't in their cardboard display of exclusives...but on the shelf under "A". While I was in-line waiting to check out a 20 year old fella came up to me and asked where I found it. I had to tell him that it was the only one I had seen but he went off in optimistic search anyway.
I've been finding the "Store Pickup" from the website option to be pretty useful lately. You'll know right away the DVD/BD is available and then you don't have to search for it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by WillG

I've been finding the "Store Pickup" from the website option to be pretty useful lately. You'll know right away the DVD/BD is available and then you don't have to search for it.

I noticed for the first time, last night, that my Best Buy has set-up an "in-store pickup area" right near the customer service desk. It is a roped-off area (with two employees in it while I was there!) dedicated to that service. The most common item sitting on their shelves looked like laptops to me.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Including the ones in my area. Thanks for the coupon tip, David.

FWIW, my Best Buy took my $10 Alice coupon with no issue last night.

[/QUOTE]

Checked at 3 of my local WM and no AATR or AAE though I'm honestly not too surprised -- I'm bummed out.

I did score a load of Blu from Best Buy though -- Long Kiss Goodnight, The Cove, Out of sight, Manchurian Cand, Thomas Crown, Heavy Metal.

BB let me use coupons for Alice, Wall St, Moulin Rouge, and Romeo+Juliet without blinking an eye.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The hardest part of the using the Alice in Wonderland coupon at BB today was the cashier figuring out how to actually record it in their system. But there wasn't a single problem with actually getting the $10 off. And they had quite a few on the new release wall.

Brisby

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Knaus
My local BB didn't give my any problems using the Alice coupon, but I had to do some finagling to get Fantastic Mr. Fox and Kick-Ass for their advertised $9.99 prices (they rang up initially as $12.99 apiece until I showed the lady at the service desk the shelf tags). I also grabbed the Thomas Crown Affair Blu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks