What's new

Weekly RoundUp 12-9-2014 (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I agree. At that point, you're not really paying to own any special bonus content. You're just leasing it for as long as they care to make it available via streaming.

If it's not on the disc, it doesn't exist for me.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Amazon now shows the DVD version of Guardians of the Galaxy as "temporarily out of stock."

Yep, they will not be getting this purchase...

Moises

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Moisés Chiullan
I've actually spent the better part of this year investing in and researching the wide swath of "retailer exclusives" that've started to troublingly trend toward "off-disc" extras, which retailers have locked to their respective streaming services (STID's Best Buy extras on CinemaNow, Captain America 2's on Target Ticket, etc), and it all drives me nuts. It does nothing to further the sustainability of physical media. If anything, it only really benefits retailers, who, discs or no, can enforce retailer digital exclusives as time goes on.

The hilarious thing about that Captain America 2 one? It didn't even work for a week or so. Target could've cared less, too. They assumed no one would give a crap or remotely care about redeeming it.

I'll report back on this GOTG one, which I'd assume will suffer the same neglect from Target.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't mind the retailer exclusives being streaming content in theory, since most of the extra features are repurposed EPK fluff pieces that I'll only watch once.

But in practice, I would bet that most of us that bother to redeem the digital streaming codes have a streaming service of choice for the non-Ultraviolet titles. Vudu has the best user interface for my money, and its streaming service is included in my television's "smart TV" functionality. If I want Target's streaming exclusives, I have to redeem the code with Target Ticket. And that's not nearly as convenient to use.

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you, Mike, for the round-up - been a while since I've "needed" it (too many other things in the outside world).

The info for Doctor Who series 8 was more than I could find directly searching Best Buy's website - even now, item in hand, it doesn't recognize their own SKU for the release!

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Just a heads-up for those getting GOTG this week. If you have the necessary hardware, go for the 3D combo pack. The 3D version is the only one with the IMAX shots inserted in it. Like the two Nolan Batman discs, depending on the scene, the aspect ratio will shift from one to the other. The IMAX shots (in particular) look great in 3D!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks