What's new

Mike Frezon

Premium

Where to find the Best Deals on Movies & TV Shows on 4k/UHD, Blu-ray and DVD…
The Features

– The Shop Around the Corner – 1940

– The Best Years of Our Lives – 1946

– Akira – 1988

– A Night in Casablanca – 1946

– It Happened on 5th Avenue – 1947

– Kajillionaire – 2020

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Merry Christmas, RoundUppers! This is my annual end-of-the-year two-fer…in which I combine the last two weeks of the year’s new releases into one (not-so-grand) RoundUp. It’s always slim pickings the weeks around the holidays…AND this allows me the opportunity to slack off for a week and rest up for another year of tracking releases and prices.

One note: I included the 4k release of Akira into this week’s RoundUp, although I usually don’t include anime titles. But I figured there might be a fair amount of interest. And if it wasn’t for some of the fantastic Warner Archive releases, this would be a rather slim report which included some of the worst releases of this rather forgettable year in cinema (like The War with Grandpa)!

I want to thank each and every one of you for checking in here over another year. And I want to wish each and every one of you a blessed Christmas season and a healthy and prosperous 2021. I know most of us are ready to kick 2020 to the curb and turn the pages of our calendars to a bright, shiny New Year.

Thanks for your support of the Home Theater Forum and the Weekly RoundUp!

Mike

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks, Mike, and Happy Holidays!

I have The Shop Around The Corner on pre-order, and will pick up A Night in Casablanca eventually. I did not know there was a new release from WA of The Best Years of Our Lives coming. I will have to check out reviews to see if it's an improvement over the existing BD I already own.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I asked that very question RIGHT HERE, Scott. The answer seems to be "no." But it also seems to be speculation at this point.
Not really speculation as every catalog Warner title that has been re-released again on Blu-ray from WA has the same video presentation. Warner has been using WA for their re-releases for a good while now. If Warner ever releases a movie a second time on BD with an improved video presentation through WA, there isn't any doubt that WA would mention a new master was used in their announcement via social media outlets including their Podcasts. That didn't happen with "The Best Years of Our Lives". However, this upcoming BD re-release does have the original artwork for the BD case.:)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thank you, Mike!

Maybe The Shop Around the Corner eventually, but nothing for me right now from these weeks. I'm pretty sure that Tenet will be my last new disc purchase this year.

Rodney

Premium
Merry Christmas, @Mike Frezon, and thank you for all your work on the Weekly RoundUps, this year as well as all the years past.

I am getting a large percentage of the titles you are posting this time around :laugh:
  • Akira: Limited Edition
  • It Happened on Fifth Avenue
  • The Shop Around the Corner
  • A Night in Casablanca

Bartman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Not really speculation as every catalog Warner title that has been re-released again on Blu-ray from WA has the same video presentation. Warner has been using WA for their re-releases for a good while now. If Warner ever releases a movie a second time on BD with an improved video presentation through WA, there isn't any doubt that WA would mention a new master was used in their announcement via social media outlets including their Podcasts. That didn't happen with "The Best Years of Our Lives". However, this upcoming BD re-release does have the original artwork for the BD case.:)

WB repackaging of existing releases happened in the DVD era too. I remember getting excited about the WB The Little Foxes only to find it was the same as the poor MGM I already had. There was practically no info online about the WB DVD so I took a chance.

Now there is a very nice HD presentation of it on Prime, highly recommended. I believe the reason for it being on Prime is there is a short glitch in the video about twenty minutes in, that would be difficult to correct for a Blu-ray release.

Sega

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Thank you, Mike!

Maybe The Shop Around the Corner eventually, but nothing for me right now from these weeks. I'm pretty sure that Tenet will be my last new disc purchase this year.
The Shop Around Corner yes. But that's it for this year.
For me.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I got a $50 Best Buy gift card for Christmas so I got the complete series of Spartacus, Coming To America, and Beverley Hill Cops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yllanes