Weekly RoundUp 12-20-2005 (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Eric,
Are these titles available starting on Tuesday and do they usually have such titles on display when they open at 8:00 a.m.?

Crawdaddy

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Michael,

I couldn't imagine the executives at Warner would be stupid enough to include the superior (imo) original "Red Dust" as a mere extra on an "average" remake. Red Dust was the first major film with Harlow/Gable, meaning it will likely be included in a boxset for Harlow or Gable in 2006. I am also curious if any features are included on Mogambo, but I seriously doubt it's Red Dust!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Someone asked earlier about whether Not Another Teen Movie is worth a blind buy. I would say that if you're into teen comedies, then absolutely. It is a really well-done satire of both '80s classics and more recent films.

However, note that there are two versions -- the new unrated cut doesn't include the commentary (there may have actually been more than one) from the original disc (it does include all the other features though). Someone posted a detailed comparison between the two cuts of the film here, so try a search. IIRC, the new version is supposed to be slightly better.

Joe-Frietze

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the Chicago update, Julio. Well, if they would have included some Jerry Orbach performances, I might have been interested. But, I think I can let this pass.

-Joe

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

Super Nanny Season 1 and Til Death Do Us Part with Carmen and Dave S1 both came out in late Nov/early Dec.

RE: the two Warner titles-

I would HIGHLY recommend calling your local Target when they open to see if they can hold a copy. With Christmas at the end of the week all stores may not do that (it's a store-by-store decision), but given the requests for it today, it looks like a lot of people are interested in them.

EricSunde

Stunt Coordinator
Notice for Sci-Fi Fans:

According to a poster on the DVD Talk Forums, there is a coupon (on the packages) to get $10 off Battlestar Galactica 2.0 and Serenity when you buy them together.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My Target didn't get any stock for "3 Godfathers" though they have a price tag and row reserved for it. I did buy the "Mogambo" dvd and they had about another 4-5 copies of them left. I wonder if the "3 Godfathers" dvds will ever come in and whether they put out that stock only in the morning before opening? An employee told me they won't hold any copies for me.

Crawdaddy

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I tried to post this Sunday, but I couldn't... The Best Buy flyer here also listed Seasons 1-3 of ER at $19.95 each, if that influences anyone's purchasing plans.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I had $8.00 Funcash so I was able to pick up Battlestar Galactica 2.0 from Ch.com for $21.99 Shipped. I'm gonna stop at Target on the way home to see if they have any of the exclusives.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

My Best Buy had this, as well. The signs were pre-printed, so it looks like this was planned, but did not make the Sunday ads.

- Steve

Chris Minogue

Stunt Coordinator
Just a heads up, Target doesn't appear to be advertising the Serenity sale price. I went to two Targets today (on a different matter) and neither had sale signage for Serenity - only a sign for the full price. However, they do come up on sale at the register.

Brenda M

Stunt Coordinator
Chris, I got Serenity at Target too and checked the price with the aisle scanner to make sure it was on sale, no signage. And I was hoping to pick up the Firefly series but no luck. I waiting until the release date hoping for a bundle deal too, I guess I should have Amazoned it in the first place.

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
I stopped by Ballbuster(blockbuster) to get a couple flicks (I've already purchased Serenity).

I looked on the shelf, and it looks like they received 15-20 copies of Serenity(based on the display boxes), all checked out. Meanwhile, there are over 50 copies of "the exorcism of emily rose" sitting on the shelf.

I always thought ballbuster's policy was to carry *more* copies of movies that did poorly at the box office, because people tend to rent movies that they didn't make it out to the theater for.

Same goes for Brothers Grimm...it had maybe 30 copies, all gone.

The Great Raid had about 8 copies, and there were still 4 copies on the shelf.

Chris Minogue

Stunt Coordinator
I think Lackluster's only policy is to see how many poorly planned experiments they can unleash on their poor customers.

On my Tuesday blockbuster run at 12:00pm they were out of Brothers Grimm (they appeared to have gotten around 20) out of Serenity (a measly 8 placeholder cards - don't know if they doubled up) and out of Cry Wolf (5 copies. Who besides me wanted to see that piece of junk? ;) ). And about 900 copies of Emily Rose which apperently nobody was possessed to rent.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Does Blockbuster still offer a free rental for certain new releases if they're completely checked out? I've used that deal in the past for freebies.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
they still do the guaranteed i stock but only on a few tiles and none that will usually be out of stock.

they do not carry extra copies of movies that did not do well at the box office.

movie that did not play well there usually do the same on home video.
there are some exceptions to that but not as many as it would seem. one exception would be the Island.
plenty of copies of that.
another thing to cosider is the area the store is located.

maybe bros grimm isnt a movie that would rent well in a specific store but another movie that wouldnt usually see alot of copies will rent there.

movies that are short on shelves that actually might have done well are usually universal titles, as there is some kind of tiff between bbv and uni right now.
one of those titles would be unleashed.

you'll see a ton of movies like emily rose and 40 year old virgin because they did do reasonably well at box office and also had good word of mouth and people actually want too see them.

by people i mean more then a small group of fans who are fans of the people involved with the actual movie.
like terry gilliam people etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks