What's new

Weekly RoundUp 12-20-2005 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Weekly RoundUp

The Features

– Catherine Zeta-Jones & Renee Zellweger (Chicago - 2002)

– Diane Lane & John Cusack (Must Love Dogs - 2005)

– Randolph Scott (Seven Men From Now - 1956)

“The Battle of the Sexes! The Battle of the Gorillas!” (Mogambo - 1953)

(3 Godfathers – 1948)

The Prices

TITLEAmazonBestBuyCrcCityTargetCostco3 Godfathers---$9.99-21 Hours at Munich$14.95$14.99$15.99--The Amazing Race: Season 7$27.48$34.99$34.99$29.99-Battlestar Galactica: Season 2.0$34.99$32.99$39.99-$33.99Bob the Butler$17.99$14.99$17.99--The Brothers Grimm$17.98$16.99$17.99$16.99-Chicago: Razzle-Dazzle Edition$20.99$19.99$24.99$19.99-Creep$18.99$24.99$19.99--**Cry Wolf (NR)$22.48$19.99$19.99$19.99-ER: Season 4$37.48$34.99$32.99$29.99-**The Exorcism of Emily Rose (R & NR)$20.26$16.99$17.99$19.99-**Four Brothers CE$17.98$16.99$14.99$16.99-Frankie and Johnny are Married$20.98$16.99$19.99--The Great Raid: Unrated Director’s Cut$27.99$29.99$34.99--Here Come the Tigers$13.45$12.99$14.94--Martha’s Baking Favorites$14.98$19.99$15.99--Mogambo---$9.99-Murder on Orient Express (2001)$20.99$14.99$15.99--**Must Love Dogs$17.98$19.99$14.99$16.99$18.99November$16.99$19.99$24.97--Once Upon a Mattress$14.99$14.99$17.99--One Day in September$14.95$14.99$15.99--Party of Five: Season 2$34.99$34.99$39.99$39.99-Rebound$20.98$19.99$17.99$19.99-Santa’s Slay$24.28$22.99$19.99--**Serenity$16.98$17.99$17.99$16.99$18.99Seven Men From Now$11.24$11.99$12.99--White Dragon$16.99$22.99$24.97--

The Disclaimer Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

"LP" in the RoundUp table means a store’s Sunday flyer says "Low Price". That means I could not locate a definite price for the item, and the ad is all I have to go on. Retailers use these phrases in advertisements so that they do not violate MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreements with the studios. Doing so can cost them thousands or even millions of dollars in co-op advertising funds.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain! If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the RoundUp. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, as always, Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii.

The Specials

**BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL! Cry Wolf (Unrated) AND Four Brothers CE AND Must Love Dogs AND Serenity are all available in both OAR and MAR versions...get the correct one(s) ! Also, note that Cry Wolf AND The Great Raid are also being released in a Rated-version but it is MAR ONLY!...stay away!!! :thumbsdown: And, The Exorcism of Emily Rose is being released in BOTH a Theatrical Version and an Unrated version…get the one that’s right for you. Phew! This part of the RoundUp seems to be getting harder each week. What’s the deal with releasing theatrical cuts MAR-only…or four different releases of the same title at once (Rated/OAR, Rated/MAR, Unrated/MAR, Unrated/OAR or some similar variation on that theme)?

--Target, this week, is advertising TWO EXCLUSIVE releases of John Ford movies: Mogambo (Clark Gable, Ava Gardner and Grace Kelly) and 3 Godfathers (John Wayne & Harry Carey, Jr.). They are $9.99 apiece.

--Best Buy, this week, is offering an EXCLUSIVE with its copies of The Exorcism of Emily Rose—the 50-minute The Real Exorcist, as seen on A&E. Follow real exorcists as they work to cast out the demons of the afflicted. Featuring Father Gabriele Amorth, renowned as the Vatican’s chief exorcist. Examines science’s explanation of the phenomenon of possession and exorcism.

--Best Buy is also advertising a $6 savings if you purchase BOTH The Brothers Grimm ($16.99) AND The Great Raid ($29.99 in WS with 232-page book). Minimum 10 per store. No rainchecks.

--Although not a new release, I think its worth pointing out that the release of both Ghostbusters 1 & 2 is on sale at Best Buy for just $7.99 this week…along with other titles under the banner ”Our Lowest Advertised Price”

--Fans of ER will want to check out Circuit City this week. ER: Season 4 is on sale for $32.99. Although that price is bested by Target at $29.99, CC has ER: Seasons 1 thru 3 on sale for $19.99 each! THIS WEEK ONLY. Save up to $20. In-store only.

--Although it doesn’t quite live up to the great Market Pantry Flavored Water/DVD promotion at Target several months ago :D , Circuit City is offering FREE ACT II popcorn with either the purchase of Four Brothers or Must Love Dogs on DVD ($14.99 apiece). In-store only. While supplies last. Minimum 36 per store. Movies + Popcorn = :emoji_thumbsup:

--Target has the lowest price this week on ER: Season 4…AND an EXCLUSIVE BONUS DISC! It includes the Live East Coast Broadcast of the Ambush episode. Quantity limited; no rain checks.

Target is also offering FREE $5 GiftCards with the purchase of The Amazing Race: Season 7 ($29.99) or Party of Five: Season 2 ($39.99). GiftCard automatically given at register; no rain checks.

The Markdowns

The latest markdowns according to DavisDVD:

EFFECTIVE: December 20, 2005 (Studio/Titles/New SRP)

None to report.

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the Roundup. Just Brothers Grimm for me with the $3 coupon from Better Homes & Gardens which brings it down at Target to $13.99 (or $13.89 at CC with a pm).

What?...no picture from Serenity ? The price is a little higher than I was hoping for, but I'm still picking up four copies. Thanks Mike.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Circuit City on sale DVD items:

$14.99 each:
Christmas with the Kranks
House of Wax
Batman Begins
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Spider-Man/Spider-Man 2

$17.99 each:
The Devil's Rejects
Star Wars Episode III: RotS
The Polar Express
Madagascar

$19.99 each:
Mr. and Mrs. Smith
War of the Worlds
Cinderella Man
40 Year Old Virgin
Bad News Bears
Roll Bounce

$34.99:
Seinfeld season 5

$27.99:
Family Guy season 4

$24.99:
Chappelle's Show season 2

$39.99 each:
Lost season 1
Desperate Housewives season 1
Harry Potter 1-3 collection

$32.99:
Lords of the Rings 6-disc set

$29.99:
Friends season 10

$45.99:
The Godfather trilogy 5-disc set

$52.99:
From the Earth to the Moon

5 for $25:
Enemy at the Gates
Primal Fear
Kiss the Girls
Beverly Hills Cop
Vanilla Sky
The Talanted Mr. Ripley
What About Bob?
King Kong Lives
Lionheart
What's Eating Gilbert Grape
The Naked Gun
The Naked Gun 2 1/2
Cobra
Waterworld
Black Mask
the Edge
Basic Instinct
Bratz
Fist of Legend
The Last Castle
Urban Cowboy
Panic Room
The Tuskegee Airmen
The General's Daughter
Bad News Bears (70's)
While You Were Sleeping
What Dreams May Come
Pretty in Pink
French Kiss
The Score

$9.99 each:
Troy
The Aviator
Scarface
Amercian Psycho
Alexander DC
Hitch
Ghostbusters 1 and 2
Tears of the Sun
The Passion of the Christ
Barbie Fairytopia
Barbie as Rapunzel
Barbie and the Magic of Pegasus
Interview with a Vampire
Warriors
Dave Chappelle For What It's Worth
The Chronicles of Narnia (BBC)
the Phantom of the Opera
the Green Mile
Saving Private Ryan
Ray
Smokey and the Bandit
willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
The Color Purple
The Silence of the Lambs
Dirty Dancing
Blazing Saddles
The Ten Commandments
Tommy Boy
full Metal Jacket
After the Sunset
Cheaper by the Dozen (2003)

-------

Best Buy on sale DVD items:

$16.99 each:
Stealth
The Amityville Horror (2005)
Wizard of OZ 2 DVD Version
The Island

$12.99:
XXX: State of the Union

$14.99 each:
Sisterhood of The Traveling Pants
Batman Begins
Charlie & The Chocolate Factory

$7.99 Each:
2001: A Space Odyssey
One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest
Superman: The Movie
Bullitt
Empire Records
Eyes Wide Shut
Caddyshack
National Lampoon's Vacation
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Pack
Not Another Teen Movie Uncensored
The Grudge (Sarah Michelle Gellar)
Monty Python & The Holy Grail Special Edition
Steel Magnolias
Resident Evil: Apocalypse
The Mask of Zorro Deluxe Edition

$9.99 Each:
Blow
Old School Unrated
Clockwork Orange
Full Metal Jacket
Shaun of the Dead
The Warriors: Ultimate Directors Cut
Gladiator
Wayne's World
Scarface (Pacino) 2-DVD Anniversary Edition
The Godfather
Sideways
Friday
The Butterfly Effect
The Girls Next Door Unrated
Garden State

2 for $20:
Office Space (2005)
I, Robot
Fight Club
Dodgeball Unrated
The Transporter (2005)
Ice Age
Man on Fire
Hide and Seek

$35.99:
The Simpsons: Season 7

---------

Target on sale DVD items:

$15.99 each:
War of the Worlds (2005) Low Price
Charlie & The Chocolate Factory
Batman Begins
Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

$19.99:
The Polar Express

$19.99 each:
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Madagascar $19.99
Mr. & Mrs. Smith

$7.50 Each:
Radio
As Good As It Gets
Big Daddy
Something's Gotta Give
Blade II
Blade

$10.00 Each:
Barbie: Fairytopia
Cheaper By The Dozen (Steve Martin)
The Terminal
Blue Collar Comedy Tour
Open Water
The Running Man

Box Sets:

$17.99:
The Magnificant Seven Special Edition

$19.99:
Audrey Hepburn Collection
Beavis & Butthead: Mike Judge Collection

$24.99 each:
Entourage: Season 1
Family Guy: Volume 1 / Volume 2 / Volume 3

$32.99:
The Elvis Collection

$34.99:
The Complete Superman Collection

$29.99 each:
Alias: Season 1
ANY Seinfeld Season Set (1 through 6)

$39.99 each:
LOST: Season 1
Tyler Perry Collection
The Pink Panther Collection
Star Wars Trilogy 4 DVDs
The Godfather Collection
The Lord of The Rings Trilogy

$44.99:
North And South

$49.99 each:
The Indiana Jones Collection
Batman: Motion Picture Anthology 1989 - 1997

$59.99:
The Sopranos (seasons 1 through 5)

$69.99:
Band of Brothers

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW Mike, that image you linked only works if you have actually visited the site and had it loaded in your browser cache. You might add a simple link

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Where are these dvd releases of 3 Godfathers and Mogambo coming from? Both of these titles would be Warner releases and I can't imagine these Ford directed films not getting some advance publicity or even in a boxset of Ford films. Something isn't right about this????????

Crawdaddy

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here's the Circuit City sale DVDs for this week:

$17.99
The Devil's Rejects
SW Ep. 3: RotS
The Polar Express
Madagascar

$19.99
Mr & Mrs Smith
War of the Worlds (2005)
Cinderella Man
40 Year Old Virgin
Bad News Bears (2005)
Roll Bounce

$24.99
Chappelle's Show: Season 2

$27.99
Family Guy: Vol. 3

$29.99
Friends: Season 10

$32.99
LOTR: six disc set

$34.99
Seinfeld: Season 5

$39.99
Lost: Season 1
Desperate Housewives: Season 1
Harry Potter 1-3: six disc set

$45.99
The Godfather Collection

$52.99
From the Earth to the Moon

5 for $25
Enemy at the Gates
Primal Fear
Kiss the Girls
Beverly Hills Cop
Vanilla Sky
Talented Mr Ripley
What About Bob?
King kong Lives
Lionheart
What's Eating Gilbert Grape?
Naked Gun
Naked Gun 2 1/2
Cobra
Waterworld
Black Mask
The Edge
Basic Instint
Bratz: The Movie
Fist of legend
The Last Castle
Urban Cowboy
Panic Room
The Tuskegee Airmen
The General's Daughter
Bad News Bears
While You Were Sleeping
What Dreams May Come
Pretty in Pink
French Kiss
The Score

$9.99
Troy
Aviator
Scarface
American Psycho
Alexander: Dir. Cut
Hitch
Ghostbusters 1 & 2
Tears of the Sun
Passion of the Christ
The Warriors
Barbie: Fairytopia
Barbie: Rapunzel
Barbie: Magic Pegasus
Interview with the Vampire
Dave Chappelle: Live @ Fillmore
Chronicles of Narnia (BBC)
Phantom of the Opera
The Green Mile
Saving Private Ryan
Ray
Smokey & the Bandit
Willy Wonka & Choc. Factory
The Color Purple
Silence of the Lambs
Dirty Dancing
Blazing Saddles (30th Anniv)
Ten Commandments
Tommy Boy
Full Metal Jacket
After the Sunset
Cheaper By The Dozen

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Robert: the only thing I can add is that both of these titles are, indeed, Warners releases. And, that both are pictured in this week's Target flyer with the poster art I have used above pictured as the cover art. Text is: Exclusively at Target! $9.99 each, Warner

And, that's all.

Bill_Nolan

Agent

The original post includes this note:

--Target has the lowest price this week on ER: Season 4…AND an EXCLUSIVE BONUS DISC! It includes the Live East Coast Broadcast of the Ambush episode. Quantity limited; no rain checks.

So, the one included as the regular part of the set is not the East Coast broadcast, I guess.

- Bill

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The west coast version is on the set. However, Target (which has the lowest price for the set) has an exclusive bonus disc that contains the East coast version. So if you buy the set at Target, you'll get BOTH versions.

Here's Roundup creator Dave Lambert's take on it.

Thanks, as always, Mike and Patrick but (for the first time in a few weeks) nothing definite for me this week. Although I may start picking up the ER sets.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
As always, thank you mike and Patrick for the continued good work! :emoji_thumbsup:

Just Serenity for me... But, that's more than enough! :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wow! What is this phenomenon called "Serenity"?

Youse guys really seem to like this flick. It was completely off my radar screen.

Wonder how I missed it completely?! I don't know ANYTHING about it.

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
Serenity is from a tv series called Firefly which my nephew tells me is great. He's got the Firefly boxed set & is looking forward to Serenety's release but I've never seen the series or the movie. It does appear to have quite a following though.

Dave Corder

Stunt Coordinator
Just Serentiy for me (at BB PM'd to Target). Maybe 2001: A Space Odyssey or One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest at BB.

$17 + $8 = $25 - $25 in RZ certificates = free!

Thanks Mike for the RoundUp!

GarySchrock

Second Unit
Serenity was the movie continuation of the series Firefly, although it can be watched with only moderate confusion if you haven't seen the series. (There's a couple places you meet characters that were introduced in the series that aren't really "introduced" in the movie, but in general it's not too important to the plot if you don't know who they are). Was a fairly decent movie (Firefly zealots might say the best of the year :)), albeit a little predictable in points for my taste. Many firefly zealots are trying to convince themselves that great sales of this dvd might warrant the release of the other two movies that were discussed, but it was such a box office flop that I personally think they're hoping in vain. (Not that I'd complain if they get made, I just think realistically there's not much chance).

Serenity (I did say it was fairly decent) and BSG for me this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks