What's new

Weekly Roundup 12/10 (1 Viewer)

NickFoley

Stunt Coordinator
Not a single new thing to be picked up by me this week. I guess I'll catch up on some older DVD's.

JamesY

Stunt Coordinator
Mark and Ted,
Thanks for the price listing on U2: Best of 1990-2000 from BestBuy, although $17.99 isn't the best deal, IMHO.
Borders.com (via Amazon) lists the title as $14.99. Hopefully, their B&M store will offer it at the same price. I wonder if any of those Borders %10-15 coupons are still available, haven't seen one for awhile...
If Borders doesn't work out, BN.com (Barnes and Nobles) lists the price at $15.98 on their own website, so hopefully they'll have it in store for the same price.
Those are the only deals I could find, unless you want to order it online (damn it for my lack of patience...)::crazy:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That's it, short week while we get ready next week for the most exciting release of the year, if you ask me!
Dave, you CAN'T be talking about the Country Bears--because that's gonna be full-frame only. Hmmmm. Must be The Crocodile Hunter: Collision Course that you're looking forward to! :D
As for me, my big week will be the following week (12/24) when The Adventures of Pluto Nash is released. That's probably gonna sell about as well as Glitter.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Finally, BB will give you a FREE DVD player (their choice) when you spend $124.99 to buy a pack containing the following 8 movies: Rocky SE, Mad Max SE, Usual Suspects SE, Terminator SE, Bull Durham SE, The Magnificent Seven, The Graduate, Silence of the Lambs (MGM).
Just an FYI:
The Silence of the Lambs, despite being pictured in the ad, is not in the 8-pack. It has been replaced by The Thomas Crown Affair (Pierce Brosnan Rene Russo version). :)
Nothing for me this week, but thanks, anyway, Dave. :emoji_thumbsup:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The Borders in-store price for U2 is $19.99; the lower price mentioned is actually Amazon's price. To get the correct in-store prices for Borders, go to Link Removed and click on the "Store Inventory" choice in the small-font menu at the top. You'll have to inform the system which store is your local store, because it will also check stock for you at the same time. All pre-streetdate items are marked "Availability: Order", though. P.S.: don't forget to look up all DVDs as "movies"; don't (for instance) look for a U2 DVD under "music". :)
Matt, I glanced at the set while I was in BB yesterday using my Prefered Customer coupons. I hadn't noticed the switch to Thomas Crown Affair; thanks for mentioning it. Was that a progressive scan DVD player those go with? :eek: I figured it would be the cheap Mintek! :wink:
Terry: thanks for the alternate listing of price drops. I'll click on it tonight, I promise!
Tom: Jackass? :shudder: Hey, uh, can someone look that up for Tom? Thanks! No offense, Tom, but I *really* hate that show!!
Jeff: Stuart 1 probably is just P&S now; thanks for the catch. I'd forgotten. :frowning:
Mike: Yeah, yeah, it's the Country Bears! At least you could have said "King of Comedy"! :rolleyes:As for Pluto Nash: that week, my fave release is Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever! :laugh: Is that "dump week" or what? If I were a star whose film was getting released to DVD this week, I'd be pissed to be in company like that!

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
I know this is not a DVD, but the CD soundtrack to LOTR:The Two Towers is being released tomorrow in case anyone is interested.

As for Dvd's, this week is a dead issue. I've had Stuart Little 2 for 3 weeks now. So no incentive to head out to the stores. I'm waiting for 12/18 when my x-mas bonus check comes from my job. I've got a big wantlist & BTTF is at the top of it.

Joe

Dave Sabo

Stunt Coordinator
Finally, BB will give you a FREE DVD player (their choice) when you spend $124.99 to buy a pack containing the following 8 movies: Rocky SE, Mad Max SE, Usual Suspects SE, Terminator SE, Bull Durham SE, The Magnificent Seven, The Graduate, Silence of the Lambs (MGM).
So can I get some opinions if this seems like a good deal? Are these decent versions of those releases? Or have these titles had multiple releases and these are the lesser of them?

I am purchasing a cheapo DVD player for someone for Xmas either way, so this deal interests me. I don't own any of those titles, but if it's not that great of a deal, then I'd rather just pick up a DVD player for 50 bucks somewhere.

Thanks in advance for your opinions,

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
As for me, my big week will be the following week (12/24) when The Adventures of Pluto Nash is released. That's probably gonna sell about as well as Glitter.
Personally, I'm not buying it until I read Ron's review (and yes, he is reviewing it). Anyone remember what he said about "Glitter"? :D

Alex Morrow

Stunt Coordinator
Only Contempt for me this week, but I ordered back a few weeks ago when Barnes and Nobel were having their sale so it came to only $23.98 I'm looking forward to next week's roundup.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if any retailer still has a good deal on "Lilo and Stitch"? I'm thinking of getting that for my departmental Christmas thing this Friday (Sneaky Santa).

If not I may get Neil Gaiman's Stardust (a book) and some Lindt chocolate.

Jodee

Screenwriter
Also coming out this week:

Cherish (just gonna rent this one)
Human Nature (just gonna rent this one)
Party Girl ($10.49 from DVD Empire)
Story of O ($15 from Deep Discount DVD)

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
So can I get some opinions if this seems like a good deal? Are these decent versions of those releases? Or have these titles had multiple releases and these are the lesser of them?
All of the titles in the box set are the most recent versions of the film released, and most should be at least decent, if not very good. Myself, I can vouch for The Usual Suspects and The Terminator as above-average discs. Also have The Graduate, but haven't watched it yet. I don't believe there's one title in the box that I've ever seen too many negative things about.

Keep in mind that The Silence of the Lambs is not in the box set, despite being pictured in the ad. It has been replaced by The Thomas Crown Affair (1990's version).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
As for Pluto Nash: that week, my fave release is Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever! Is that "dump week" or what? If I were a star whose film was getting released to DVD this week, I'd be pissed to be in company like that!
From what I read, Eddie Murphy should be pleased that stinker got released at all (theater or DVD). Actually, maybe he would have been more pleased if it HADN'T gotten released. I saw one interviewer ask him, "are there ever times when you're making a movie and you get the feeling that, you know, its just not working?"

Like Malcolm says, I shouldn't be badmouthing a movie I haven't seen. But, even the trailers made it look bad!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks