What's new

Weekly RoundUp 11/30/04 (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Just the Spidey 2 Superbit at BB for me this week. I figure if I can get the SE used for $8.50 or so in 6-8 weeks (and a newer and better version has not been announced), I can get my movie fix now, my extras fix then, and have the best of everything for under $27.

Regards,

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
If you want the picture/sound quality go for the Spiderman 2 SuperBit. Sony, this time around especially, artificially lowered the bitrate on the regular version and reviews are stating it's an only so-so compression job (very low bitrate overall). The SuperBit has been pumped up to make it look more appealing... and no extras. So, you know why Sony is doing this. More quality concious studios like Warner Brothers usually can give you extras and keep the picture quality high... Sony's bad news.

So, to make a long story even longer... I'm getting the SuperBit version only. The "extra" Best Buy disc is fluff... as is a lot of the extras on the Special Edition. I already watched the VH-1 Spiderman special (which is the main feature on the Best Buy disc) and it was nothing more than an infomercial... no real meat at all.

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Mike,

This is a worthy mention here as well.

Just got a Flyer in the mail from SEARS (sale prices good from 12/1 - 12/4)

They have the Happy Gilmore/Billy Madison set listed on sale for $15.99 as well.

Just an FYI to anyone who wants it and can't find it elsewhere.

Greg

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
Did the Sears flyer show Fullscreen only? I know my Target didn't have any Widescreen sets all they got were a ton of Fullscreen copies?

I'll do a PM at CC instead.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter

I had the same experience in the Matteson, IL Target store. All they had were Fool Screen versions of the Happy Madison 2-pack. The shelf they were on specifically had a price tag that said Fool Screen. There were no tags or anything indicating the Widescreen version. They might not even carry the Widescreen ones.

I'll have to pick this one up at Circuit City then for $17.99 cause my local Best Buy won't price match.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Foolscreen versions of the Happy/Billy set were all I saw at two different Targets in and around Oklahoma City this morning.

Swell.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter

This isn't a national thing. I checked my local WalMart and they were ~$19. You probably were seeing a Black Friday deal.

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the roundup Mike!!

I went a little nuts and ended up with 13 DVDs and spent over $150 (went a little overboard), LOL!

I took advantage of the Superbit deal at BB:

Spiderman 2 2 disc set with bonus disc, DD Director's Cut, Billy Madison/Happy Gilmore set, Spiderman 2 SB (3 of them), Guns of Navarone SB, HOOK SB, Bad Boys 2 SB, Starship Toopers SB, S.W.A.T. SB, Cliffhanger SB

Most DVDs I have bought at one time in I don't know how long, uggh!

FYI to anyone getting HOOK Superbit make darn sure thats the last one they ring up as it is priced at $24.99 and you surely want that one to be free!!!

Greg

James D

Second Unit
Best Buy has a Superbit sale-buy 2 SB titles, get the third for free. Make sure that you give the cashier the most expensive DVD last, for that is the one that you'll get for free.:) Not every BB is offering this sale, so you may want to call before you head out the door.

Don_Limey

Stunt Coordinator
I went to 2 Super Target's in my area after work yesterday as they had it for the lowest price of $15.99 & both of them had FULLSCREEN only. And the lady who worked electronics at the first location I visited decided to argue with me after I asked her if she had the WIDESCREEN version as she claimed that "THEY DON'T MAKE IT IN WIDESCREEN & ONLY IN FULLSCREEN" & I told her whatever log onto the internet if you heard of it & go to either amazon.com or hometheaterforum.com & you will see. The second rep at store 2 new that there was a WIDESCREEN version but said that they didn't order. I then took a Target ad with me to Circuit City which only had WIDESCREEN only & they matched Target's price. It is funny because even Walmart got both WIDE & FULL.

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
You know...

I generally like Target, but they really pander to the lowest common denomenator carrying full-screen only of some titles. Ticks me off. But, I am surprised that they would do this with a new release... I wonder if they sold out of the widescreen or if they forgot to put some out or something...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Good advice. Employees at my local Best Buy last night insisted there was no such promotion underway. :frowning:

Although maybe they were just under orders to deny specifically me...and everyone else gets the deal! :D

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I've noticed that my local Target that used to stock both Full and Wide version has as of the last few weeks carried the Fullscreen only on most movies, it's a disturbing trend and why I've gone to mostly online ordering. Gas is too much to run around to find the right version or save a buck here or there.

Greg S

Supporting Actor

I just want to be CLEAR on this you MUST BUY SPIDERMAN 2 SUPERBIT to get in on this deal. The deal is buy SP2 SB and any other 2 SB titles in a specific list (its about 15 titles I think) and ONE of them is free. So don't get confused that you can get ANY 3 titles you want.

Greg

LIST OF SUPERBIT TITLES IN THIS DEAL:

Bad Boys 2
Black Hawk Down
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Cirque du Soleil - Dralion
Cliffhanger
Cowboy Bebop: The Movie
Fifth Element
Heavy Metal
Hook
Johnny Mnemonic
Lawrence of Arabia
Leon: The Professional
Once Upon a Time in Mexico
Snatch
Spider-Man
Starship Troopers
S.W.A.T.
The Guns of Navarone
The Mask of Zorro
The Missing
Underworld

***CREDIT FOR ALL OF THIS GOES TO DVDTALK MEMBERS NOT ME!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks