What's new

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon submitted a new blog post

Weekly RoundUp 11-27-2018
WRU-Banner-2018a-1024x661.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Kind of a funny post-Thanksgiving week, guys. Usually not much happens on this week in the calendar year in terms of interesting releases...but with all the recent delays in disc replication/releases, some pretty nice catalog releases got pushed back into this week's calendar.

Enjoy!

And...as always...safe shopping! :D

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks for the RoundUp.

I reviewed the new Gosford Park on Friday. That review can be found here.

I have The Magnificent Ambersons on pre-order from Criterion, and I'm sure Lucy/Mame will be joining the collection eventually, too.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thank you for your work, Mike!

I loved Searching in the theater and count it as one of the best surprises this year, since it kind of snuck up on me and I didn't really know a lot about it before seeing it, which is pretty rare for me, and it was exceptional. However, I spent enough yesterday that I think I can wait for it to come down in price before I buy it. However, I would very strongly recommend it as a rental for anybody interested who missed it theatrically.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks for the prices, Mike. I hope you and your family had a nice holiday.

I have The Magnificent Ambersons on order, but doubt I will get it this week as I bundled it with the new Arrow release of The Apartment to get free shipping at B&N, and that title is out in a couple of weeks.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Critters Collection is pre-ordered. Want to pick up Gosford Park at some point since it sounds like it's an improvement over the Canadian blu-ray (which I purchased just days before this new blu was announced).

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Thanks for the Roundup
Ambersons and Gosford are coming (?) via B&N and True Stories through Amazon ... Mame with Lucy: Prolly through WBshop or DD eventually ...

"Update: True Stories has shipped
Saturday, November 24
5:43 PM
Package has left the carrier facility
San Marcos, US US
Package has left seller facility and is in transit to carrier
US"

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Mike! Hope you and yours had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Just "The 100: Season 5" on Blu-Ray for me. I have a 20 percent off coupon for Barnes & Noble, so I'll probably order it from them.

Speaking of, just FYI: The "The 100" Blu-Ray Amazon link goes to The Little Stranger.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll head down to Barnes and Noble sometime this week to pick up The Magnificent Ambersons.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Amazon has lowered the price of Searching on Blu-ray to $19.96 vs. the $22.96 it was at the time Mike posted the Roundup grid. That's good enough for me, so I went ahead and ordered it. This is too late for release date delivery, but it will arrive Thursday, which is fine.

Bizarrely, this makes the DVD version 3 cents more expensive than its Blu counterpart.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It's actually been happening more and more often in recent months.

Except not in this case after all. I misread; the DVD is still $19.96, and the Blu-ray which I ordered is $19.99. My bad for mixing the two up.

But it's still less than the $22.96 from the grid, and three cents one way or the other doesn't matter to me that much.

I also noticed that on Amazon's page, it indicates in one spot that the Blu-ray has "+DVD + Digital Copy," but actually this appears to be wrong since the cover art says it's a Blu-ray + Digital.

This makes me wonder who decides at the studios which films are getting combo packs and which are getting just singles, and what kind of criteria they use to make this determination. Obviously, films that are family-friendly tend to get DVDs thrown in more often than not, theoretically so the kids can use a copy in their non-Blu-equipped room. However, what's the deciding factor for films that are aimed squarely at adults? Sony released Sicario: Day of the Soldado in October, which is a combo pack with a DVD, and they're also releasing Searching, which does not have both formats in it. Although I don't have much use for DVDs now, so it doesn't really matter to me, this is curious since they're not being consistent between all releases. So what's the process like to decide?

Last edited:

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
Mike, hope you and yours had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

After picking up 20+ 4K discs over Black Friday, I think I'm on a buying moratorium until next year! I do have 2001 and Schindler's List on my wishlist though, so maybe Santa will bring me just a couple more to round out an outstanding 2018.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Amazon has lowered the price of Searching on Blu-ray to $19.96 vs. the $22.96 it was at the time Mike posted the Roundup grid. That's good enough for me, so I went ahead and ordered it. This is too late for release date delivery, but it will arrive Thursday, which is fine.

Bizarrely, this makes the DVD version 3 cents more expensive than its Blu counterpart.

It's actually been happening more and more often in recent months.

Here's two examples that this has been becoming more commonplace--from the coming week's RoundUp:

Operation Finale: $19.99 DVD/$19.96 Blu-ray

Attraction: $19.99 DVD/$11.99 Blu-ray

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks