attachicon.gif
grumpy-cat-no.jpg
I don't know. I want Jason to be happy!

yes2.jpg

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Thank you guys! This has run the gamut from disapproval to approval to actual praise for good shows. I knew I could count on all of you! ^_^

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I totally forgot...I also ordered The Little Mermaid Legacy Collection CD set...it showed up today...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Jason_V said:
I totally forgot...I also ordered The Little Mermaid Legacy Collection CD set...it showed up today...
Have you been buying all the Legacy Collection Disney OSTs, Jason?

I already own all Disney OSTs and am hesitant to re-buy them. I did splurge on the Sleeping Beauty one so that I can do a compare/contrast with my others. (But I haven't done it yet.)

I already own most nearly all the Disney OSTs on CD (at least a couple times over in most cases. Some in several languages.). I really don't want to think about doing it all over again...but...

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I have, Mike. They've been fairly cheap (TLM came out to $16 with tax for 2 discs) from Amazon and I'm a sucker for this kind of thing. This will be my final dip on these OST's mostly because it's ALL the music, not just selections or "best of" cuts. Disc 2 of this set is all demo's and other work print-type tracks. The first disc is 32 tracks, more than double what is on the original CD.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Little known fact:

Back in 2001, then-newly minted HTF member Rob Kilbride (March 2001 sign-up) told me on another forum about the HTF and how they were having a discussion here about an issue we were trying to get to the bottom of over there. That other forum is magicmusic.net...an all Disney-music forum. That forum was my first foray into the seam underbelly of internet discussion boards. :biggrin:

So, I stuck my head in the door over here and have been quite busy ever since. :laugh:

Sadly, I can't recall the exact issue at the time that was being discussed...but it had something to do with a Disney DVD release and its music.

I have been into collecting Disney music discs (movies and theme park music especially) since the early 90s. That appetite has fallen off a slight amount in recent years in favor of this fascination with Blu-rays. But it is still very much there for me. One of the friends I made over there is Disney producer Randy Thornton. He has helped me with information on any number of occasions. One of the good guys.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
^^The issue had something to do with the Snow White DVD release in 2001. Still can't remember exactly what it was though. :blush:

That sure does seem like forever ago, though.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
That was eons ago, Mike. I remember that day like it was yesterday, though, since it was right around September 11.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Good job, Jason! The Snow White DVD (according to Amazon) was released on October 9th, 2001.

Now, take a look at my "Join Date."

:biggrin:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That's fun. I wish I could somehow track down my earliest post or even my original account name. I know I made some sort of
posts here sometime in the late 90's under a similar name, but different (?? what email account).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Off-topic but what the hey:

The Lion King and The Little Mermaid Legacy Collection CDs are newly-authored discs for the main soundtrack. They contain the entire score for the film in the order it is presented in the film, interspersed with the songs. Most Disney releases include the songs first, then a few small score excerpts, so this corrects the error of that release method and the difference can be quite substantial. The Lion King had a half hour of previously-unreleased score. Those are absolutely, positively worth purchasing again. The bonus disc of demos, etc. is just icing on the cake. Even the liner notes on Mermaid included some things I didn't know (which, considering that I watched all of the Blu-ray and DVD supplements for it, is a bit of a pleasant surprise.)

The people in charge of these releases for Walt Disney Records need to be put in charge of Disney's Blu-ray releases as well; they understand how to release a complete deluxe edition which celebrates the film, and there is absolutely nothing else they could release for either Ariel or Simba, as the entire score has been preserved for the first time ever, and the bonus tracks are substantial and worthwhile. The last time a Disney DVD was this complete was...I dunno...Snow White or maybe Aladdin. Lion King never had a single release that could be considered "definitive" on DVD or Blu-ray with everything on there. Anyway...long story short...RUN, do not walk, to get your copy of these new editions. They are FANTASTIC, and Disney should be encouraged to do more of them. (They have only announced Legacy Collection releases through next August, and I hope they continue beyond that.)

It is my understanding that the main soundtrack discs for Mary Poppins and Sleeping Beauty are the same as the previous remasters, so the appeal of those editions will lie solely in the new bonus disc created to supplement the soundtrack. Mary Poppins already had a fine 2-disc set released in 2004, so its Legacy Collection release is 3 discs. I have not bought these two yet -- probably will at some point -- but they didn't seem as urgent to me as Lion King or Little Mermaid with newly authored main discs.

I would also like to note that, since Disney has so far timed each of the Legacy releases to an anniversary, I hope we do not have to wait until Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin turn 25 (which in both cases is still a while off) in order to get them released with this level of love and care.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks