What's new

Weekly RoundUp 11-22-2005 (1 Viewer)

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the Roundup guys. Went with

KK with everything from BB
AVP from WM -- $15.87
KK 1978 version from WM -- $9.82 :emoji_thumbsup:

Considering WOW 2005 -- saw it in theaters and enjoyed it but not thrilled at its high price.

PE -- totally undecided here. Never saw it and not sure if I should just get it or not. Any thoughts folks??

Thanks again

Greg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What an unusual night for me. I wanted to go to BJs Wholesale Club and pick up the 2-disc Polar Express...but a brief snow squall here forced me to change my plans and I went to the closer Target & Wal-Mart figuring I could at least pick up King Kong for $14.99.

Went to Target first. They had NO copies of King Kong and one of their raincheck pads in the single slot which was marked "King Kong". They had NO copies of Leave It To Beaver: Season 1. So I cannot report the price. They had ONE copy of Polar Express (2-disc) and a slew of single disc copies. I grabbed the two-disc wondering why my world had been turned on its ear. :D And, they did have a few copies of the 1953 War of the World for $4.99. Although I was not interested, I did notice they had quite a few copies of the 2005 War of the Worlds...but I did not check to see which they were. So, I left Target with WotW ('53) ($4.99) and PE ($22.99). I am going to do a common trick of my wife's and buy the PE at Target...but then return it later if I get the better price at BJs. She does this ALL the time with clothing! We spend more time making returns than shopping it seems sometimes!

I crossed the street to Wal-Mart and again could find NO copies of King Kong. :eek: After asking an employee if they had received any, he directed me to two copies which were nowhere near the new release areas. It was marked $19.96. I PM'd the Target ad for $14.99. :emoji_thumbsup: They also had LitB: S1 for $37.99. That is going to be squirreled away for Christmas for me..making for one agonizing wait. ;) The Polar Express 2-disc at W-M was $21.66. W-M only had a half-dozen copies of the 2-disc PE on hand. They also had bonus discs with the 1-disc PEs and with their copies of the 2005 WotW.

BJs tomorrow!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The BB in my area didn't recieve their Warners stuff until this afternoon for some reason. I went back tonight and they had a good number of the Kong sets but only about 6 copies of the King Kong two disc. I price matced with the Target ad and used a Reward Zone certificate for a grand total of $10.59 after tax. What a steal! :)

EDIT: At Best Buy, the two disc King Kong rang up at $22.99 but it was priced at $19.99. Anyone else see this?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Who needs to run around town? I'm watching KK on TCM right now for free! :D

You may want to be careful of this. Some recent article I read said the big chain stores are now using special software to track returns and "habitual returners" may be flagged and dealt with in a most unpleasant manner.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

:eek: That doesn't sound good, does it?!?! :D

She doesn't do it in any great volume, mind you. She'll just buy several different items, lets say. Many times it'll be for my son or daughter and she's not sure if they'll like the item or if it fits...but rather than make another trip to the store with them in tow to find out...she'll buy it, figuring she can just return it later.

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
Got both Polar Express & WOTW 2 discs at CC with a Wal Mart pm. Wal Mart had a price of $19.97 on both 2 discers & I used the $3 WOTW coupon from inside Madagascar. $38 for the pair including tax.

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor
Two stops for my DVD shopping today:

Wal-Mart (Murrieta, CA)
King Kong (1976) ~ $9.72
War of the Worlds (1 disc) ~ $13.87 - $3.00 Madagascar Coupon = $10.87
Polar Express (1 disc) ~ $13.87 - $3.00 Cap'n Crunch Mail-in-Rebate = $10.87

I wanted to pick-up the 2 discers of WOTW & PE, but both were priced at $21.66. :frowning:

Target
Seinfeld: Season 5 ~ $29.99 - $5.00 Gift Card = $24.99
Seinfeld: Season 6 ~ $29.99 - $5.00 Gift Card = $24.99

The Weekly Round-Up is definitely a time and money saver for me, so thanks as always Mike & Patrick!

Another coupon heads-up: Two $3 off coupons are enclosed in WOTW: $3 off Madagascar and $3 off The Island (release date 12-13-2005).

MatS

Screenwriter
I saw The Incredibles at my Target and in their print ad as one of the $13.88 deals

I assume this is a good price

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
My Costco had King Kong CE (3 titles) for $24.99 (that's $8.33 per title!). They also had War of the Worlds LE for $24.49. It appears that Costco has adopted a local pricing strategy where local competition allows them to price accordingly (similar to some WalMarts). This makes it imperative that I check with my Costco before going to the other 'Usual Suspects' if I'm to win the 'low pricing game'... ;)

Joel

Allen_Kir

Stunt Coordinator

BEST BUY! I did a price match for FRY's
SITE: shopping.ocregister.com/ROP/ads.aspx?advid=179018&adid=2261563&subid=9445875&type=

BUT I wouldn't go to FRY's cuz their ads sometimes make mistakes and put a picture of a 2-disc with the price of the 1-disc(EX. phantom of the opera) I HAVE NOT CALLED FRY'S so it might be right but since I'm a reward zone member and I wanted the lithograph I price matched.

***They remove the AD tomorow so if you go on the site and it's not there tell me and I'll e-mail you the picture so you can print it***

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Same here except mine had them for $24.26. Strange price but I'm not going to argue. I would have paid that just for Kong alone. Costco also had a bunch of titles out already for the Friday shoppers. Picked up Gone With The Wind 4-disc for $18.89! :eek:

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Another big week for me:
Seinfeld S5
Seinfeld S6 and
Golden Girls S3 at Target

King Kong Best Buy Set (2 copies, one for me and one for Dad for Xmas)
Queen: Night at the Opera 30th Anniversary CD/DVD at Best Buy

My Target only got 4 copies of the 2disc King Kong and 2 copies each of the tin/boxed set releases.

If anyone is looking for the Rush/Jack Johnson/Barbra Streisand DVDs at Target they are merchandised in the CD area (like the Live 8 DVD is) not in the DVD section.

willyh

Agent
Fry's in Phoenix is advertising Polar Express for $13.99 (One day only) and the item number matches the two disk, wide screen version! Also, K-mart is advertising Buena Vista DVDs tomorrow only for 12.99, including Bambi and Cinderella.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

That's amazing, Eric. Must've been the same at the Target nearest me. Wonder if this is going to go down as one of those great mis-estimates of popularity...although why feature it prominently in your flyer with a very LOW price...only to come up short?! Bad idea.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
cant beat $5.00 for the 1953 WOTW!
and $15.00 for 2 disc KONG...(both TARGET)

anyway, at one store they had KONG but no WOTW.
At the other store it was reversed!

And probably the only reason there were any left is because some goofball stuck them in the tagged rack that read:
WOTW:CE $25.99...!(the 2005 edition)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

I completely agree...and to make matters worse, apparently some stores did not put out the tin/box sets because they didn't fit in the shelving we use. We ended up displaying them at our Electronics Dept. counter.

BTW, if anyone is interested, I posted a link in the Black Friday Ad thread with the official release of the Target Two Day Sale.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

P.S. Please remember this while you are out battling the crowds on Friday...Retail workers (like myself) are people too!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks