What's new

Weekly RoundUp 11-18-2008 (1 Viewer)

Greg Layton

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg Layton

Oh wow, good catch. I'll head to Meijer before work Tuesday and see if I can catch it before they issue a correction.

EDIT:

or maybe I should be there at 12:01am.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Thanks for the prices, Mike and Patrick. This week, it's Wall•E Blu (3-disc) and Tropic Thunder Blu. Also, possibly Universe season 1 Blu and I may eventually upgrade to the new Cannibal the Musical disc.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

"The sky is blue, and all the leaves are green...." :D

============

That Meijer's ad is amazing. None around here--darn it! I'd be there!

The Wall•E Blu-ray (2-disc) for me this week. I came away from the film feeling a little disappointed, but find that I have some pretty good memories of specific moments in the film. Hope I don't regret it.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I have a Best Buy GC so I'll be getting the 3-disc WALL*E BD there. Is there any chance of them price-matching Wal-Mart's online price?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Awesome catch! The BF handed me the ad on Saturday and I dumped it without even looking! I'll be there before work tomorrow morning. Otherwise, nothing else. I've got two boxes from DD coming, along with a couple box sets and assorted other stuff still waiting for reviews...

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Yeah, no Meijers around these parts. Oh well.

But why get the 2-disc version of WALL-E when the 3-disc costs the same (at least from Amazon)? Is there a better deal for either one than Amazon's (other than Meijer's)?

I preordered the 3-disc version from Amazon when they had it for ~$1 less in their Gold Box offer.

I suspect though that the $15 DVD Guys over here in Manhattan near City Hall will have the 2-disc version (or maybe the 3-disc?) for $20 w/in a week of release -- they seem to be carrying the more popular BD titles much more quickly lately (as I managed to pick up Hellboy II and Kung Fu Panda last Friday from them w/out lining up first thing -- and they still had some today).

_Man_

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
^ The third disc is just Digital Copy, IIRC, and it's quite useless to me. Can't speak for anyone else, though.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

I'm aware of that, but if the price is the same (like from Amazon), why pass on it? :D You never know when you might decide to want to use the DC, especially if you presumably won't also own a DVD version of that title. I'll probably use the DC for laptop (on occasion). If the DC is compatible w/ PSP (which I doubt), I'd put it on my kid's PSP too.

Of course, if you do have a Meijer nearby, it makes perfect sense to pay much less for the 2-disc.

Actually, now that I think of it, didn't someone post elsewhere that either DDD or DVD Planet has WALL-E for less after using the 25%-off coupon?

_Man_

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
If I didn't have three Meijer stores within ten miles of me, I might think about it. However, there's a number of factors which go into my decision: storage space (I know, one disc...), not watching movies on my laptop and HATING the idea of putting a movie on my iPod.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Brett: There's always a chance. But I'd predict it to be slim-to-none. But if it were me, I'd ask. You never know what you might get at BB for a customer service rep.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Brett, I routinely price-match Walmart at my local Best Buy. I simply bring along a print-out of the Web page and give it to the cashier when I check out. I don't think I have ever had a problem. In fact, I know from looking over their shoulder when they key in the reason for the price-match that Walmart is one of the stores in their system. Now bear in mind, that my local BB also directly competes with three Walmart super centers in town. But, based on my experience, I think that as long as there is a Walmart in the same town as your Best Buy, the chances of you getting the price-match are good. One other thing, I always do my price-matching at a regular checkout. I never bother going through customer service. On occasion (depending on the price difference) the cashier may have to call over a supervisor to process the adjustment, but I can't recall when it's been an issue. Good luck!

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys, worked like a charm. Got the 3-disc BD for $24.86, got my WALL*E Rubik's Cube and best of all an employee took my name & number after I expressed interest in the 3-D cardboard WALL*E sitting atop the display.... fingers crossed. :D

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
Well, I have Wall E ordered from DeepDiscount. With their 25% discount the 3 disc dvd is $19.32. I'll have to wait a bit with taking the free shipping but that's preferable to the $30+ prices everyone is charging for it. Even CC is over $30 with tax added to their $27.99 price which is the lowest I've found.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I'm curious if anyone had luck at Meijer's. I was up late and decided to run over a little after midnight. I saw WALL-E DVDs but no Blus. I finally found someone and asked but got a broken English reply of "Not in."

I went back this morning and they had a ton of DVDs but no Blus anywhere. I asked the clerk and he confirmed that they didn't get any Blus in either here or at the other local store. He told me they might get some later, but definitely before Thursday "because that's when the sale ends."

Then I went to Best Buy across the street and was able to get a price match for the $16.99 :emoji_thumbsup:. And I was given the Rubik's Cube as well.

While I was doing this I had my wife call over to another nearby Meijer and while they had it in they quoted a price of $30, but that's the sticker price. So I still don't know if that was a legit price.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
^ I stopped in on the way to work. The center aisle display had a good number of BD's with a big $26.99 label on them. I checked the ad insert sitting at the front of the store. There is *no* price on the Detroit-area flyers. No wonder I didn't notice it before...

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I'm glad it worked out for you. I took my cue from you and price-matched Walmart at Best buy to pick up both the 3-disc WALL*E and Tropic Thunder Blu-rays (complete with Rubik's Cube and booty t-shirt!) Plus, I used a $5 Reward Zone certificate and a coupon for triple Reward Zone points, so it made a good deal even better! :cool:

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor

Same thing here, but for the SD 3 Disc set+Cube for $22.86. No issues at all (Cashier just needed a manager for their password to price match.)

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
I did drop by Meijer (Indianapolis) hoping to pickup Wall*E on Blu Ray for $16.99 but no such luck - they had lots of copies but were trying to sell them (unsuccessfully) at $29.99 for the 2 disk.

Regards,

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Nick: How did you save those extra two bucks?!? :confused:

Walmart.com is showing the 3-disc for $24.86 and the 2-disc for $24.32.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks