What's new

Weekly RoundUp 11-13-2007 (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
you know, this is helping you get on a list alright.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i see that deepdiscount has the close encounters blu set for 32.95.

if it stays that way on tuesday, that will be a nice set to get with the 20% coupon there.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
No doubt Tony will have to complete the "Frezon module" before his training is finished. ;)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
"The Terminator / Robocop double feature"

I've seen lots of these around lately, and am wondering, are there two DVDs inside the case, or are these flipper discs or something just as bad?

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I was thinking about the CE3K DVD set, but I don't like what they did with the extras.

Change the disc three times to watch the 'Making of' is nuts, I'll stick with the 2-disc.

Bob Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
FYI, just thought I'd update everyone on my Smallville "adventure" tonight! :)

I went to Best Buy tonight and tried to get seasons 5 and 6 at $14.99. The more I thought about it, the more obvious it seemed that they should honor their ad, since the English (in BIG letters) was plain enough: "ALL seasons of these TV series". The *tiny* captions in white under each series pictured do what captions are supposed to do, describe what you're looking at, nothing more. Of course, neither the cashier nor the customer service rep who came over to "help" saw it that way. We went round and round, the checkout lines started backing up, and finally I just took down both of their names and left in frustration!

This was so idiotic. The ad couldn't be plainer -- "all seasons of these TV series". Can't get much more cut-and-dried than that! This is one of the most blatant misrepresentations I've ever seen Best Buy (or similar B&M retailer) do. If you're going to bait-and-switch, at least have some small disclaimer text at the bottom of the page stating that the price only applies to the sets pictured in the ad!

I almost never complain about things like this, but I actually went back and argued some more, with no luck. Those people were robots.

So, I went to Wal-Mart, got friendly with some of the clerks in the DVD area, and then nonchalantly asked if they'd price match this week's Best Buy ad -- all seasons of Smallville for $14.99 -- which they did! So, I managed to pick up Season 6 after all. I'm glad for the victory, but the whole experience with BB left a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't usually whine on the boards, so thanks for giving me a chance to vent. Hope everyone enjoyed their purchases this week!

Bob

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
As a soon to be employee of BB i vow to never let anything like this happen ag.... eh who am i kidding.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
FWIW, my wife was at Target today and picked up Simpsons: Season 6 (which is on sale for $14.88) for a Christmas Gift.

The only copies they had were the collectible Homer head packaging but it rang up for the sale price.

===========================

Oh...and to wrap up a tale from last week, I was able to go back and get that movie cash for Enchanted by showing my receipt for having purchased two copies of Ratatouille. :emoji_thumbsup: Thanks, Malcolm for the tip.

HienN

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hien
Thanks Mike and Patrick.

Does anyone know which version of Shrek goes for $10 at Target?

Bob Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Good one, Tony, and thanks. I was just really spun up last night! Needed to let off some steam.

Bob

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I checked the Ad for BB on Smallville and it does say "Seasons 1-5" on it. I have a feeling if I tried to get Season 6 at Wally's I'd be turned down (Or even arrested for trying to Defraud them!) No Thanks! I'll wait for Season 6 to be discounted later in 2008! Meantime I have plenty to chew on for now! :D

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Just Perry Mason and Close Encounters on Blu-ray for me this week. I can tell its getting closer to the holidays, cause Amazon its getting slower with its shipping. The price you pay, for a good price. :)
I worked at a BB once as Christmas help, my first day was on Black Friday as well. I have never done retail in my life. The number of people that ran in for those cheap in every way, 25 dollar VCRs amazed me. More amazing was that they wanted me to shove warranties that cost about the same price on that crap. The best warranty for that kind of junk is dont buy it.
Anyway, i wanted great employee pricing. They really dont get it that great unless your buying computer cables or some other cables that have a huge mark up, think add ons. DVDs, computers, and even some TVs are sold at very break even prices, at least 10 years ago it was that way.

Mary_P

Second Unit
Re: the "Smallville" thing, the ads must've been different in different parts of the country. Both the ad I got and the display sign in the store stated specific seasons that were on sale. In some cases like "The West Wing" and "Lois and Clark," it *was* the entire run of the series. On others, like "Smallville" and "Veronica Mars," it was all BUT the latest season, which was still the regular price. There was a note that you could get the bonus "Aquaman" pilot with any season of "Smallville," though that was gone by the time I got to the store. Glad you were able to get it price-matched at Wal-Mart, Bob.

I did luck into one "unadvertised special" at Best Buy. The ad this week listed "Brothers and Sisters" S1 for $27.99 -- a good price, but it's not a high-priority title for me, and I was already buying so many things on the $14.99 sale (plus other titles at Target). Anyway, I was surprised to see it in the store with a shelf-talker saying it was $19.99, so I grabbed it. When I got up to the counter, it rang up at the advertised sale price, $27.99; I told the cashier that it was marked on the shelf at the lower price, and she retrieved the tag and rang it up with a price override. So that was a bit of dumb luck, finding it mismarked like that.

Also saw a couple of things at Target at what I thought were pretty decent prices, besides all the $14.88 sets they have on sale right now. They had "American Dreams" S1 at $19.99 (which I think has had a price drop, so it may be available near that price point at a lot of places), and "Not Just the Best of Larry Sanders" for $19.99, which is cheaper than I can find it online, even with the DD 20% off sale.

And the Deep Discount sale.... My, oh my. This is definitely going to be the most expensive week I've had in a while!

Mary

Ed Faver

Second Unit
FYI-

Best Buy has Blood Diamond Blu Ray for $17.99 this week. I haven't seen it advertised anywhere at that price, but I did get it for that amount (plus 10% off on a coupon!).

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
THose that need the new Perry Mason set may want to head to Target: regular price is $29.99! (I snapped that one up QUICK!) Also saw the BD version of CE3K for $37.99 and Princess Bride for $14.99.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Seems like there's no reason why places like Target have started their sale prices on tv season sets so early. I hope this means deals will be easily available through December. It seems odd.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks for the Round-up!

Perry Mason for me as well. Two seasons down, seven to go!

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks