What's new

Weekly Roundup 11/12 (May The Force Be With You!) (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Can someone explain how the $2.00 off Netflix coupon works with LOTR: Extended Version at Best Buy? I assume you have to join Netflix in order to get teh $2.00, right? This would bring the price down to $22.99 for LOTR.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
this is the first i've heard of this coupon were did you see it?

o ok i thimk you meen the one in the netflix free case.
you do not have to join to use that cuopon.

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
I'll just stop off at Best Buy on Tuesday. I hear their AOTC comes with a free clalender. I've never really been big on pricematching so I'll likely get it for $15.99. I'll also pick up FOTR EE while I'm there.
what if i price match theirs with the toys r us one, would i still get the calendar? :b yes, i am very greedy.

JamesY

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks again David, I always look forward to you roundup!
Anybody know anything about what happened to the exclusive "R2-D2: Beneath the Dome" documentary DVD that was suppose to come with your purchase of AOTC? I had heard that Suncoast (and related stores) was going to be offering this, but in the last month, the news has all but disappeared.
Still, can't complain about TRU's price, but getting the whole doc on DVD would be nice:)

Gregory E

Second Unit
WALMART.COM states that pre-ordering it through the website gets you a special bonus...some widescreen-format trading cards! And you get those no matter WHICH version of the film you pre-order! Now isn't THAT a twist for a company that's usually vilified as the propagator of fullscreen versions! Hahaha.
Joe Six-Pack will probably return their cards to Wal-mart and ask for the fullscreen cards! :D
Anyways, thanks for prices Dave. I was kind of mad about the whole South Park/commentary debacle. But if I can pick up the set at Media Play for $19.99, I'll buy it.

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if Walmart will be selling AOTC & LOTR Extended cut at 12:01AM like they did with Spiderman? If so can you pricematch the Toys R Us price with them at midnight for AOTC? Would you have to bring the flyer Torys R Us flyer in to do the pricematch if they'll accept the pricematch?

Does anyone know what Walmarts price will be for AOTC & LOTR Ext Cut?

My Walmart in San Diego isn't 24 hrs but they stayed open an extra hour (midnight to 1AM) to sell the Spiderman DVD. Does anyone know if the Walmarts that aren't 24 hrs will stay open an extra hour to sell the AOTC & LOTR DVDs?

I know that's alot of questions but thanks for your replies.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Okay, here's the word on the Toy's R Us ad, and it's aimed at those of you who are saying "Whoa...my newspaper didn't have one!"
Well, neither did mine (Memphis Commercial Appeal). So this deal just cost me $2 for a newspaper I wouldn't otherwise have gotten, frankly.
I have contacted friends and family in other cities: It is NOT in the New York Daily News (thanks for looking, Stacey), Houston Chronicle (thanks Bro!), or the Washington Post (sorry to "waste your time", Ed! ;) ).
However, the ad IS in the Miami newspaper (whatever its called; thanks for the info, Louis), The Forth Worth Star-Telegram (appreciate it, "Red") and in some but not all editions of the L.A. Times (thanks, Dave!)! :eek: It's described as being a four-page ("one giant page front-and-back-printed, folded over") and one page measures 27 CM x 23.5 CM (centimeters, Louis? :rolleyes:)
I just got a cellphone call from my wife. Steph's IN Toys R Us, and she's got the circular in her hot little hands! So I will have one for myself via that way. I encourage all the not-have-ads to run by and grab a flyer now, to prep later for the price match if that's what you're gonna do. Or, while there, just grab a pre-sell deal and you'll pay $5 now and the rest later.
Meanwhile, I spoke to a TRU saleslady earlier, and she states that there's a chance the ad will appear in newspapers on Tuesday. I take that with a grain of salt, but you don't need the ad if your plan is to go fight the traffic at TRU. It will be $9.99 for anyone, ad or not. And indications are that they will have a decent amount of them...at least numbers that this TRU lady thinks of as a "decent" amount. Whether its enough...who knows?
Frankly, if that's not easy enough for you, just get it for $14.97 at K-Mart or $14.99 at Circuit City...a VERY good price in any event! Or spend a buck more and get it at Best Buy along with the nifty calendar.
Even Walgreens and Rite-Aid are advertising this title...albeit at $19.99 each.
And to finish with a change of pace, file this under "strange but true": My local Wal-Mart now has Spider-Man for $13.97...about a buck cheaper than I paid for it on street date! I've never seen the price continue to go down like that. Perhaps they're overstocked? Oh, they still have a bunch of the LE's, too!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Bill Balcziak: What's different about Target's return policy? What WAS it, and what is it now?
Does anyone know if Walmart will be selling AOTC & LOTR Extended cut at 12:01AM like they did with Spiderman? If so can you pricematch the Toys R Us price with them at midnight for AOTC? Would you have to bring the flyer Torys R Us flyer in to do the pricematch if they'll accept the pricematch?
Taking the questions in order: I'd be shocked if Wal-Marts that aren't 24-hour stores (they still have some, eh?) don't open at midnight for AotC. It's a big Star Wars title, last time I checked. If they're selling one new title, they'll sell you all of 'em, I'm sure. At least the ones they've unboxed and put out, but I'm sure LotR is a no-brainer. As for the other questions: I've never had them refuse to pricematch me just because the competitor hadn't opened for business yet on street date. After all...if they don't match, you'll just walk out and drive right over there and wait, right? As for needing the ad itself: depends. I would normally say "yes" in all cases. But Wal-Mart's different in that they try to "shop the competition for you", and have the better price in the register before you get there. But A) they might not be aware of the lower price yet, and B) they might not automatically honor such a deep cut as this (I anticipate an arguement, though I hope that doesn't happen...after all, $9.99 is way below cost!). Suffice it to say, it's safer to have the ad to pricematch. I always do, and just hope I don't have to use it. Better safe than sorry, though.

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
My local TRU has stopped taking pre-orders on AOTC; I'm glad I did it last night! Anyway, those of you hadn't yet pre-ordered it there may have to fight the crowds on Tuesday if you want that price at that store. Worth trying anyway today if you're passing by one; you never know!

JamesY

Stunt Coordinator
It turned out to NOT be a bonus disc for AotC, but rather a separately-sold item coming next month. Why not?...it can sell, sell, sell! Right? Details are here.
David,
thanks for answering my question! I've mainly been following the Official AOTC DVD Thread because I assumed that everything dealing with AOTC had to be there. I guess I just missed that other thread...
I too was upset over the whole South Park commentary debacle, but for $19.99 (+$3.50), it's worth it. FYI, Media Play is also having a VIP event for it's Replay members tonight (11/10) from 7-10; so triple points on everything makes SP an even sweeter deal!
David, thanks again!
:emoji_thumbsup:

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
Does anyone have any details on this calendar from Best Buy that's supposed to go with the AOTC DVD there? I'm just wondering if it will be worth paying the extra price for the DVD to get the calendar for free (well, at least discounted, if you take the extra cost of the DVD into account). Also, do you think Best Buy would price-match Toys R Us on the price of the DVD AND still give you the calendar?

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Guys you are forgetting a VERY IMPORTANT thing about most stores pricematch policy (particularly BB and CC).

Buy the DVD at whatever price is posted (it makes no difference). Walk out of the store then back in with your DVD, receipt, and ad in hand. Go directly to the customer service desk.

Let them know that you just got this and noticed in the TRU ad that they had it for $9.99 and you would like your $$$ back based on their pricematch (in most cases you will get you $5 + 10% of the diff).

Look at the PM policies it clearly states that the PRICE is guaranteed for a period of 30 days (at some places). So this method of PM is completely within the rules.

I have done this a bunch of times with 100% success every time. They NEVER call and check stock when this is done. When you try to pricematch when you first purchase it you run into the "in-stock" issue. Not so with the after purchase PM. So I RECOMMEND to everyone who is headed to PM somewhere do it this way.

The only thing you lose is a little time spent waiting in line.

Myself I will do this or just say the hell with it and pay the extra $5 because I am not interested in "fighting" with anyone for a DVD.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Greg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dave:
My newspaper did not have the TRU ad today either, so even before you posted, I went to my local TRU to see if they had the flyers and to see what's up.
In an amazing fit of incompetency, when I inquired about reserving a copy of AOTC, I was told by a cashier to go to customer service. Customer service told me the slips were at the register (which they were!).
The customer service person asked me "VHS or DVD?" and handed me a slip to bring to a cashier. The slip was unclear, but it said "11/12 SW2 FDVD". I asked if this was for a widescreen copy. The customer service person had no idea what I was talking about but found one that said "11/12 SW2 WDVD".
I took the slip to a different clerk who knew all about the promotion. After suggesting that I pre-order Lilo & Stitch, too; the clerk asked if I was sure I wanted the widescreen version. When I gave her an emphatic yes, she smiled in acknowledgement. I then asked her how their "reserve system" works. She says they should have plenty of copies, and that all I needed to do was pick one up and bring it, with my receipt, to a register. However, she said they absolutely put aside enough copies "in the back" to make sure they can fill all their pre-orders.
BTW, they were handing out the flyers along with their "Big ToyBook" catalog as you walked into the store. So, I was armed to pricematch. But, I figured, why pricematch when I can reward TRU for having the low price on the DVD? I'll just to have to run over to BestBuy afterwards to get my copy of LOTR: FOTR 4-disc set! :D

Brent_H

Second Unit
I don't know if anyone mentioned this elsewhere, but South Park Season 1 is actually $9.99 at Media Play. It is listed at $19.99 but the ad says an additiona; $10 will be taken off of the sale price at the register. South Park for $9.99!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
I also got the $5 TRU reservation deposit. I figure I won't be able to get to TRU early on so it will be reserved until I get there after work. The cashier actually mentioned that as long as I get there Tuesday sometime, the price should be honored with the deposit. I was surprised that she had mentioned the sale pricing.

I'm going to try to priec match BB and get the calendar. We'll see how it goes.

Bob

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I've had two different e-mails about that SouthPark at MediaPlay deal:
* One suggested it was $19.99 after the $10 off.
* The other said it was advertised at $19.99, and there was "also" $10 off.
I tend to believe it's the first one...I doubt MediaPlay would let go a season box set of a hot new item for just a tenner! :eek: But...prove me wrong! :)
It doesn't matter for me...the closest MediaPlay for me is Nashville. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks