What's new

Weekly RoundUp 10-9-2012 (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
One of the things that will make me happy about this upgrade is that I always HATED the fact that there was nothing printed on the spine of the ET DVD release.
Despite not having the title on the spine, I always knew it was E.T. due to that weird package design. There's certainly no mixing it up with another disc.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Kind of a big week for me*:

Magical Mystery Tour
Dial M for Murder (one of my two favorite Hitch films - I always stop when I find it channel surfing. the other is Rear Window)
Little Shop of Horrors

I'm on the fence with ET.

TOTALLY forgot about LSOH! I quickly ordered it so hopefully it will shop with the other discs. I watched the DVD last year and hated the picture quality. VHS probably would have looked better.

It's a 'can't wait' for all of these. Not sure which I'll put on first.

(*additionally Jeff Lynne has two new albums out on tuesday as well)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
There was a brand new Jeff Lynne documentary on Palladia last night called Mr. Blue Sky. It was only an hour, but was very good. It had interviews with Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and Tom Petty, as well as the widows of Roy Orbison and George Harrison, along with some really cool vintage recording studio footage.
Very curious to see what the deal is with the Target exclusive on Rock of Ages. That's the only DVD edition of the extended version, but it only adds 13 minutes, so I'm wondering what the rest of the claimed 45 extra minutes is (and if it's on the Blu version). Maybe it's just the normally BD-exclusive extras. Incidentally, Target.com is currently showing $14.99 for the regular DVD, $19.99 for the store-exclusive DVD, and $24.99 for the BD combo pack (which I expect to change to $22.99 tomorrow).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
4 or 5 weeks in a row of major releases. Can I and my wallet stand the strain!
At least each week, Costco has come through! I hope they have the Prometheus 3D, 2D, DVD set and Dial M and Strangers on a Train and ET. Our cups runneth over.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Hi Mike, my review for Dial M for Murder 3D can be found here and MattH's review for Prometheus 3D can be found here.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Busy week for me as well. I'll be picking up the Hitchcocks and Prometheus 3D is already on its way. I'll also get E.T. eventually. I may cave and try to pick up the digibook at Best Buy tomorrow.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Mr. Blue Sky said:
/t/324264/weekly-roundup-10-9-2012#post_3985906
I see one called "Long Wave" what is the other new Jeff Lynne album?
It's called "Mr Blue Sky : The Best of ELO." The title is very misleading. What it actually is is re-recordings of ELO songs by Lynne. He felt he could now do the songs like he wanted to do back then but was restricted by the recording technology of the time.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I stumbled across the doc by random chance as well. Jeff Lynne is one of those artists where I don't actually own any of his material, but I feel like I should. :)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Quite a few titles of interest here (as mentioned by others) though I'll probably need to wait for some better sales for some of them -- wonder if Costco will have Dial M for Murder at a great price. Will probably pick up the ones that are reasonably close to the $10 mark after factoring BB's U&S deal -- sorta debating about blindbuying the Prometheus 3D pack (since it has what sounds like an excellent bonus disc besides the 3D, which I can't use yet).

And thanks for another WRU, Mike!

_Man_

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I posted my review of Little Shop of Horrors on BD: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/324317/little-shop-of-horrors-blu-ray-review

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I was going to get Dial M at Amazon, but if they have it at Costco that might be the way to go. If anyone goes could they report back?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I'd like to know if Costco has Dial M, Prometheus 4 disc set, ET and Strangers on a Train.
I'm betting Costco will have Prometheus and ET. Not so sure they will have the Hitchcock titles, but they have had them before so there's a good chance.

Strangely enough, the cheapest pre-order price I've seen for Avatar 3D is at Barnes and Noble. The website has it for $22.79 which would beat current Best Buy listing even with "trade in and save". Mike, you may want to mention this in next week's Round-Up if it holds up.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I don't have high hopes, seeing as BB isn't even carrying Dial M in stores...
Frys is carrying it for 30.99 and seems to have it in stores. I think even with Tax, Amazon wins.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
For those buying Prometheus 3D at BB make sure you get the correct price. It is ringing up five dollars too much if you use the trade coupon it isn't taking the extra $5 off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks