B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Here's an interesting one:

Best Buy has a new-ish steelbook release of Interstellar in 4K which their website lists as being released on Tuesday.

The artwork for this steelbook is identical to the original Blu-ray+DVD steelbook release in 2015, which was exclusive to Target at that time. I have that original steelbook and it is one of my favorites.

However, the new one is a 2-disc set featuring a 4K movie disc only, and a Blu-ray special features disc. The new steelbook does not appear to include a Blu-ray movie disc. If you've already upgraded to 4K, that wouldn't really be an issue, but I thought it was an agreed-upon standard that 4K releases would also include a Blu-ray of the film so as to be backwards compatible. I don't buy too many 4K discs because we're not equipped for that, but the handful of steelbooks I've gotten lately have all had Blu-rays included. This makes it okay for me to buy that and still have something to watch even if we don't have 4K right now. So it's interesting that they took the opposite approach with Interstellar.

I don't feel the need to upgrade this right now anyway, but I thought it was odd.
Just as it "used" to be standard to have a DVD included with the bku-ray ... not all 4KUHDs have a blu-ray with them. Some of the Black Friday packages bought were 4K discs only. The only way to be sure you are getting a blu-ray as well is if it says so on the cover. (That isn't to say that it might not have one).
1601933573384.png

Reactions: Jake Lipson

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I can think of a few 4K releases that did not include a Blu-ray copy.

Expendables Trilogy (this was the first, very controversial since the 4K's were movie-only)
Game of Thrones: Season 1 (special features were included on discs, but digital copy was HD on Vudu only)
Game of Thrones: Complete Series (coming in November)

Warner also released the Hobbit movies in exclusive steelbook 3D Blu-ray only editions, which were a massive headache for customer service when I was working at Best Buy since the disclaimer stating they were 3D only was in fine print on the back cover, and that they would only play on a 3D-capable system. We received quite a few opened returns on those from people who did not have 3D players and displays, and because they were opened, a manger over-ride was required in order to issue a store credit.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Incidentally, Amazon used UPS to send my book today. It got here on time. This is the first time in a while I've seen them utilize UPS rather than their own delivery service.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
I can think of a few 4K releases that did not include a Blu-ray copy.

Expendables Trilogy (this was the first, very controversial since the 4K's were movie-only)
Game of Thrones: Season 1 (special features were included on discs, but digital copy was HD on Vudu only)
Game of Thrones: Complete Series (coming in November)

Warner also released the Hobbit movies in exclusive steelbook 3D Blu-ray only editions, which were a massive headache for customer service when I was working at Best Buy since the disclaimer stating they were 3D only was in fine print on the back cover, and that they would only play on a 3D-capable system. We received quite a few opened returns on those from people who did not have 3D players and displays, and because they were opened, a manger over-ride was required in order to issue a store credit.
I think that Expendables set was a WalMart exclusive. I remember driving to the store nearest us to pick it up, along with a similar packaging for the two Now You See Me films.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I think that Expendables set was a WalMart exclusive. I remember driving to the store nearest us to pick it up, along with a similar packaging for the two Now You See Me films.
I believe the first 4K disc I bought that didn't have a blu-ray was this one from Universal
1602062659737.png

I show a release date of 09/13/2016!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Just a heads up for anybody else who was holding out for a price drop: Best Buy currently has the first season of "Stargirl" and the most recent season of "Legends of Tomorrow" on Blu-Ray for under $20.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The 2020 Secret Garden--coming out this week--has had its price dropped by Amazon from $22.99 to $19.96.
It looks like they're price matching Walmart; I saw it for the same price there and grabbed it as an impulse buy.

Just a heads up for those who care about digital copies: It does come with a digital copy, and the digital copy does redeem in 4K on iTunes. However, while the physical media release is from Universal, the digital copy is through STX Films and is not Movies Anywhere-compatible.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ab1979