Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thank you, Mike!

But no new discs for me next week. Amazon is going to be sending me a book, but that's it as I am saving for a couple weeks from now.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Hey RoundUppers!

Well, we are officially now in the 4th Quarter of 2020 (an important milestone for a number of reasons!)...but also a reason to start paying attention to what releases will be rolled out as we get closer and closer to the holiday sesason at the end of the year.

Personally, I am very much looking forward to seeing the new version of The Secret Garden. I had purchased Flicker Alley's DVD release of the 1927 Chicago when it was released back in 2010. It was a very good release and I don't see any need to upgrade. How cool to see a version of that story made so close to the time period in which the story took place. Very interesting.

Safe shopping. I hope you all find something to your liking! :D

Reactions: Jake Lipson

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
What is this version of Jaws 4K? Just the discs without the "collectible book"?

'Tis the season when all the schmaltz from Hallmark starts coming out on DVD.

Curse of the Undead looks like it might be a good one for the Scary Movie Challenge.

Reactions: Jake Lipson

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
So, would you like the new standard version for $22.99 next week, or the deluxe edition (with collectible booklet and packaging) today for $3 less? :lol:
Yeah, I noticed that.

Tangentially, browsing on the Bull Moose website earlier today I also saw several titles that are cheaper to purchase "new" than "used".

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Thanks as always, Mike!

Drop Dead Gorgeous on Blu-ray next time there's a Warner Archive sale.

The first season of "Picard" on Blu-ray when the price drops a bit.

Personally, I am very much looking forward to seeing the new version of The Secret Garden.
I'm a massive fan of Agnieszka Holland's adaptation from 1993, so I didn't really have any interest in this new one. But I have to admit, Robert Harris's few words have me intrigued.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Nobody grabbing that 4K Battlefield Earth? :P
It's only Blu-ray.....

Here's something strange to ponder: Battlefield Earth is a Morgan Creek title that was licensed to Sony, who then licensed it to Mill Creek rather than release it as an MOD title (which Sony has done on several Morgan Creek titles).

Mike Frezon

Premium
I'm a massive fan of Agnieszka Holland's adaptation from 1993, so I didn't really have any interest in this new one. But I have to admit, Robert Harris's few words have me intrigued.
Me too, Adam. I like the Margaret O'Brien version too. My mother-in-law will bend your ear about how enthralled she was when she saw that version in the theater back in '49 and the B&W film transitioned into technicolor when they entered the garden.

I figure if I'm fans of both those, then, hopefully, then I'll like this new one, too!

(Although that certainly didn't work out for me with Greta Gerwig's Little Women!!) :D

Reactions: Adam Lenhardt

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
So, would you like the new standard version for $22.99 next week, or the deluxe edition (with collectible booklet and packaging) today for $3 less? :lol:
Amazon just dropped next week's standard edition of Jaws on 4K to $19.99, while the deluxe anniversary edition from this summer has dropped to $19.96!

Reactions: Yeoman007

Clay_E

Stunt Coordinator
Just the Picard Steelbook for me--I forgot that was due out this week, so I'm very excited!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Here's an interesting one:

Best Buy has a new-ish steelbook release of Interstellar in 4K which their website lists as being released on Tuesday.

The artwork for this steelbook is identical to the original Blu-ray+DVD steelbook release in 2015, which was exclusive to Target at that time. I have that original steelbook and it is one of my favorites.

However, the new one is a 2-disc set featuring a 4K movie disc only, and a Blu-ray special features disc. The new steelbook does not appear to include a Blu-ray movie disc. If you've already upgraded to 4K, that wouldn't really be an issue, but I thought it was an agreed-upon standard that 4K releases would also include a Blu-ray of the film so as to be backwards compatible. I don't buy too many 4K discs because we're not equipped for that, but the handful of steelbooks I've gotten lately have all had Blu-rays included. This makes it okay for me to buy that and still have something to watch even if we don't have 4K right now. So it's interesting that they took the opposite approach with Interstellar.

I don't feel the need to upgrade this right now anyway, but I thought it was odd.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smwe16