Mike Frezon

Weekly RoundUp 10-3-2017
WRU-Banner-16-9-1024x661.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey RoundUppers!

Although you wouldn't know it from this week's Best Buy and Target flyers, there is a ton of new releases this week.

The Amazon/Disney "feud" continues...

And I've got Lost Horizon (pre-ordered July 2nd!) on it's way to me. I'm interested in The Book of Henry--but NOT at $25! And, I am intrigued by both Harold & Lillian and A Woman's Life...but I think I'll keep my eye out for better prices and reviews.

Safe shopping everyone! And thanks for the "likes" to the OP.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks, Mike. I have the UHD of Kick-Ass pre-ordered at that great price, and will pick up the UHDs of Bridge on the River Kwai and Bram Stoker's Dracula once the price on each drops. I would like the Arrow release of A Fish Called Wanda, but at that price I think I'll just settle for my existing BD.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
It's an historic week. The first film I'd pay for in 4K: Bridge On the River Kwai. But the cost of entry is too high for me at present.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If I was fully 4k, I'd be picking up Kwai and KickAss on 4k, for sure.

But I'll wait until I have my display and then pick up some of these titles. In the meantime, I've already got the Blu(e)s. But I'm still picking up the 4k releases of any new-to-me titles (if available in the format). Makes sense to me...

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thank you, as always, Mike, for your work putting this together.

I did not like Pirates 5 at all in the theater, so that's an easy pass for me, although a sad one, since I used to love this franchise back in the day when it was fresher. Now, not so much at all. I do have to admit that that steelbook looks pretty awesome though, and I would be all over it if only the movie it contained was any good.

I'll be picking up A Ghost Story this week. It's one of my favorite movies of the year and I would recommend a rental to anyone who thinks they might be interested in it -- however, it's a divisive movie and is one of those that you'll either love or hate, which is why I would advise rentals rather than blind purchase unless you're sure you're going to dig it. But I loved the sheer originality of it, and I think it has a lot to say about life and about grief, and I thought the whole thing was great. Rooney Mara, especially, deserves an Oscar, and Casey Affleck was good too (at least I think it was Casey Affleck -- lol -- since he's under a sheet for most of it.) Amazon must have recently raised the price, because my pre-order started at $18.99 and went down to $16.97, and is now back up to $18.99. I'm glad I got it earlier than tonight.

I also have some interest in the Superman extended cut as a curiosity, but not for $21.99 in this crowded fourth quarter marketplace where there's something new I want every week.

Also, even though it's not a movie, it's the first week of October, and that means Harry Potter fans have a new illustrated book to get excited about. This year, it's Prisoner of Azkaban, illustrated again by Jim Kay, who is doing all seven and did such a wonderful job with the first two the last couple of years. Amazon has it for $25.93, which sounds expensive, but if you're a fan, it's one of the best purchases you'll ever make. These illustrated editions are tremendously well-put-together and among the most gorgeous books I own. I can't wait to see how Mr. Kay has envisioned the third book on Tuesday. I've had my copy of the new one on pre-order since it first became available in February (it's usually slightly cheaper if you do that, as is the case with mine, since it hit a lower price briefly between February and now, which I got locked in, and it's gotten to a point where I look forward to these releases this week every year, and the space on my shelf is waiting right next to the first two.

I've attached the cover to this post, and if you want to get it, the Amazon link is https://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter...e=UTF8&qid=1506829686&sr=8-2&keywords=Azkaban.

That being said: given that the book is 2.4 pounds, I'm a little afraid that if Amazon sends them together and there's any problems during shipping, the huge book could crush or bang up the Blu-ray of A Ghost Story, which I'm sure will be in a thin standard Blu-ray plastic keepcase. I ordered the movie and the book separately and hope I will get two separate packages, but sometimes Amazon puts multiple orders together if they both have the same estimated delivery date. Normally, I don't mind this, but normally I'm not ordering enormous 2.4-pound books.

I had a chat with Amazon customer service this morning, and their representative Mohd Adil said that he checked and the two orders are to be sent separately. But, since he's probably at some overseas help center or something, obviously he's not going to be the one doing the shipping, so whether that is actually something that can be controlled or not is, of course, an open question. We'll see what happens on Tuesday when I get them.

Most of the time, Amazon items arrive here well-packaged without a problem...but for some reason this one concerns me. My other two illustrated Harry Potter books also came to me via Amazon, but they were the only things I ordered for delivery on their respective release dates. Having a movie as well on the same date is new.

Attachments

• Azkaban illustated.jpg
    Azkaban illustated.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks, Mike! This year's Capra release from Sony, Lost Horizon, is my purchase this week.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks for the RoundUp, Mike, and for the links, too.

I'm assuming Fox will be sending American Horror Story this week. I haven't heard from them about it, but they've sent all of the others for review so I expect it to arrive at some point.

I'll be picking up Lost Horizon for sure and Kwai at a later date. The Blu-ray is fine for now.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Bigger week than expected for me. These pre-orders caught me unawares:
  • The Bridge on the River Kwai
  • A Fish Called Wanda (Special Edition)
  • Harold and Lillian: A Hollywood Love Story
  • Lost Horizon
  • Superman The Movie: Extended Cut
  • Prancer

EDIT* I just cancelled my BOTRK order with Amazon. I see from some 4K threads here that lately Amazon has been lowering the price a week after initial release. Also, DeepDiscount has it cheaper, so if they don't lower it I can still get a better price. I can wait for this one.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Thanks once again for the Round-up Mike

I was going to order Lost Horizon and BoTRK 4K from Amazon ... but checked deepdiscount and they had LH $1 cheaper and BoTRK for 4K $2 cheaper than Amazon (and no tax for me from DD) I also ordered two Kinos in the BOGO sale and when I went to check out everything was either "in Stock" or "pre-order" when I finalized my order I noticed that LH is on the dreaded "backorder' :( ...

I plan to get A Fish Called Wanda and Superman: The Movie Extended cut later (Supey through Warner Archive sale?)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Is there a Pirates of the Carribean 5 movie bundle that includes the latest in 4k anywhere?

Not that I know of. There is no boxed set, as logical as that would be.

Maybe they will issue one whenever Disney starts releasing its back catalog on 4K and put out the first four films that way? But since they're slow, who knows when that might be? They still have catalog titles they need to release on plain old Blu-ray (*cough* The Black Cauldron, A Goofy Movie *cough*), let alone 4K.

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Lost Horizon and Home for the Holidays are on the way. Likely Pirates 5 on UHD, even though it was kinda unsatisfying for me in the theater at some point later in the year.

And chances are I can watch Lost Horizon this week. Yeah, that's kind of a novelty for me. I've loved this movie since I saw way back in film class in college.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I'm supposed to get all of the Sony and Lionsgate 4K titles that street this week for review, but all I've received so far is Warm Bodies which should be up late on Monday (too many items on the honey-do list this weekend ;)).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I had a chat with Amazon customer service this morning, and their representative Mohd Adil said that he checked and the two orders are to be sent separately.

It feels odd to be quoting myself, but in case anyone cares, my shipping notice came through and it says they are packaged in the same shipment....even though I specifically asked for them to go separately, so Mohd Adil was not able to do anything, because of course he wasn't. I will hope that whomever packaged it did so effectively, and that the tiny movie will be safe in the company of the 2.4-pound book. We'll see.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I will hope that whomever packaged it did so effectively, and that the tiny movie will be safe in the company of the 2.4-pound book. We'll see.
Not to create worry for you but in my similar experiences, they just toss everything in the box and MAYBE they put in some of those plastic air bubble things in there to stop the items from moving around too much. For what it's worth, I don't think I've had any trouble with that but it certainly was luck more than anything else.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It's cute that Mohd Adil thought he had any control over what happens in the fulfillment warehouse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks