What's new

Weekly Roundup 10/29 (and 11/1 for our friendly neighborhood, well..you know!) (1 Viewer)

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
Nice job David,
My wife says to buy Spidey at K-Mart (mine usually has the widescreen version but you have to ask for it) and buy something else there so they stay in competition with all the others (she works in home video marketing). It will also support the loss leader theory and keep K-Mart stores from closing down :frowning:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
My wife says to buy Spidey at K-Mart (mine usually has the widescreen version but you have to ask for it) and buy something else there so they stay in competition with all the others (she works in home video marketing). It will also support the loss leader theory and keep K-Mart stores from closing down
My K-Mart has no widescreen copies of any new titles. Not even when you ask for them.

Week after week of getting these notices out to Roundup readers about K-Mart's loss leaders, and I get dozens of replies on two forums that noone can locate WS copies at thier local stores! They all have to hike it up the street to a competitor of the Big K.

I have to do the same. Fortunately for me, I have a Best Buy in the same parking lot as my KM, and a WM/Sam's 2 blocks away in one direction, and a CC and a Target a mile or two away in the other direction. Just on either side of a really nice mall. And I live around the corner from Costco. So shopping elsewhere is no hassle for me at all. But it's not even worth the time spent anymore for me to check, only to get hassled in the process and leave empty handed.

Once we can get the Widescreen copies of Spider-Man into the K-Mart stores, ready to sell to me on a hassle-free basis, I will happily oblige by buying it there, along with another item to turn it into an MST. And I'll ask all of my readers to oblige as well.

Until then...NO OAR = NO SALE!

And, if they continue on this course of action of not being able to please their customers, then they deserve to live up to their nickname of "Kame-Apart". Sorry, that's just the Darwinism of retailing.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Well said, Dave. Kmart needs to step up at the plate in regards to the widescreen issue.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Thanks as always, Dave.

Looking a bit disappointing so far on the Spidey Gift Set. I seem to remember that some weeks back Costco had it on their web site for about $32.99, but checking the other day, its gone.

I wonder if it will show up in-store on Friday along with the regular set?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
As far as I can tell, Chris S, "not carrying it". Anyone who knows better, please feel free to correct me. It just doesn't come up on their site...and they rarely have something in-store that's not at least LISTEd at their site. Perhaps the other way 'round, on occassion, though.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
According to DVD Empire, the Spidey Gift Set is to be a true Limited Edition item, with possibly not enough units to even fill initial orders from retailers. DVDE isn't guaranteeing fulfillment for any orders placed after October 9.

So my guess is "favored" retailers and those websites with early pre-orders get preference, other retailers get the crumbs (if there are any).

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Only Spidey LE for me this week. And I haven't found anywhere cheaper than DVDEmpire's $32. So it'll be in my mailbox when I get back from vacation (woohoo!)
Oh, if you buy your copy of the new Tori Amos CD at an independant music store, most of them are throwing in a companion CD, called Scarlet's Stories. It's a commentary CD, where Tori explains her feelings on each of the songs. Check out the list of stores at www.toriamos.com.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Man, what is with the price of Mysterious Island? Are they including gigantic chickens inside every DVD case or something?

Paul D G

Screenwriter
In one of the Sunday paper ads (I want to say Circuit City's but I'm not 100% certain) it said that if you buy Spiderman you'll get a coupon for a free DVD. It listed two specific movies and, again, I'm not sure if it was a sample of what there is to choose from or if those were the only two - I think it was the former.
Does anyone know if this is standard for this release (a la Jurrasic Park promo) or is it store specific? They had Resident Evil as one of the discs and I've been holding out for an expanded release of this but, I'll go to a specific store if there is a chance of getting it free.
Sorry for the lack of facts here :), it's been about 20 hours since I looked at the ads and expected to see it mentioned here.
-paul

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Paul, it was CC that had that. It only says look inside package, but does not specify if it is store specific.

"2-Disc set includes buy 1 movie, get 1 free mail-in rebate-- over 20 great titles to choose from, including Resident Evil & Black Hawk Down. See inside package for details"

My guess is a list inside, you buy one off the list and get one free, not a free movie just for getting Spidey.

Chris

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
My guess is a list inside, you buy one off the list and get one free, not a free movie just for getting Spidey.
Good guess, Chris. Buy Spidey, Mr. Deeds, or the upcoming MIB II. In each, there's a mail-in certificate for buy 1 from a list of 20, get another from the same list free. So unless you can get someone to give you the certificate, you have to buy 2 to get 1 free.

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Hey David,

I don't know if this is BOGUS or not but I just heard an ad on the radio that said TOWER Records was selling Sum of All Fears for $11.99.

I have not had the chance to call or anything but perhaps someone can check on this.

Greg

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
Does this mean that CC will not be carrying the LE gift set or that they are just not posting a price for it?
None of my CC's in San Antonio carried the E.T. Gift Set. Wouldn't surprise me if they didn't carry the Spidey Gift Set either.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Circuit City's never been big on collectors sets or gift boxes. Best Buy has nearly a whole aisle dedicated to them and Circuit City usually has about a 2-foot section of shelf. CC has never been competitive on price, either, for those they do carry (example: the ST:TNG boxes at $149 while most others are $89 - $119).

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
I just went to bestbuy.com and put the Spider-Man gift set in my cart. I usually put the titles I'm looking for in my cart on Mondays, so on Tuesdays I can "check-out" and see the availability of the title at my 3 local stores, so I know which one to go to. Now I know Spidey comes out on Friday, but after I put it in my cart today and checked out just for the heck of it, I got this:

Not available for delivery at this time
Not available for store pickup

This is not the standard message for pre-orders, either. The other title in my cart that comes out on Tuesday says:

In Stock - Usually ships in 2-3 business days
Pre-order not available for store pickup.

So what does the Spidey availability mean?

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
I planned on ordering Spidey Gift Set at DVDEmpire for $32.47. Went there today to order and now the price is listed at $39.95. I waited too late. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks