What's new

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Where to find the Best Deals on Movies & TV Shows on 4k/UHD, Blu-ray and DVD…
The Features

full

– Parasite – 2019
full

– Africa Screams – 1949
full

– The Last Starfighter – 1984
full

– The Ipcress File – 1965

full

– Daughters of Darkness – 1971

full

– High Plains Drifter – 1973

Continue reading...

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thank you, Mike!

I'll be double dipping on Parasite next week. If I had known that a Criterion edition was coming so soon after Universal's relatively barebones disc in February I would have just waited. But of course that wasn't announced prior to the original release. This is slightly annoying, but at least I am passing the old disc off to a friend who is fine not having a bunch of bonus features. So that helps me rationalize the double dip a bit.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I might consider the same, but I was extremely disappointed in Parasite when I watched the Universal disc. And I had had such high hopes that I was going to enjoy it.

I thought the film was based on an extremely interesting premise...but then the ending REALLY let me down.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You are right about variety this week, Mike.

For me:
  • Africa Screams
  • The Flintstones: The Complete Series
  • The Last Starfighter

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks for another RoundUp, Mike.

Nice assortment of titles both new and old this week. I'm slated to review a few of them, but they haven't arrived as yet. Maybe soon.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
but then the ending REALLY let me down.

It's funny you should say that. I disagree and loved the ending of Parasite. But I've also heard that same comment from other people who liked most of the film. It's great that it is able to generate such differing opinions.

I haven't watched it in a while but look forward to seeing it again when the Criterion arrives next week.

Amazon is currently estimating a delivery date of next Thursday for some reason, instead of the release date delivery I would normally get on Tuesday. But that's fine.

I wouldn't mind getting The Flintstones at some point, and $60 is a very reasonable price point for a complete series set of that nature. But it is proving to be an expensive fourth quarter even without the usual wave of new theatrical titles coming to disc, so I can hold off on that one for a while.

Last edited:

Clay_E

Second Unit
I am considering getting the Flintstones set for a British friend of mine. Does anybody know if this set is region locked? I know the WB discs usually aren't, but I want to make sure.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I really want to pickup Africa Screams, The Last Starfighter, and The Flintstones, but I may have to wait a bit.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I thought Africa Screams came out months ago? Or is this the general release through other retailers vs. direct from Classic Flix?

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Thanks Mike!

Last few weeks have been dry for me purchase wise, but this week I'll be stocking up on Parasite, Last Starfighter and some Clint Eastwood.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Here's a minor annoyance with Amazon.

My copy of Parasite is set for delivery on Thursday instead of today. Technically, I should be entitled to release date delivery, but practically, fine, whatever, I can wait two days.

But what's annoying is that the product page says I would get it tomorrow (Wednesday) if I place a new order for it within the next 4 hours and 49 minutes.

They are already preparing my existing pre-order for shipment. I could request cancellation of it, but it wouldn't be guaranteed. So I'm just going to leave it alone.

But I pre-ordered this back in July. Why would a new order to my same address get to me faster than the old one? It seems like the whole point of pre-ordering with Amazon is to reserve a copy for you and get it first. If I ordered it in July, shouldn't that entitle me to get it shipped before an order placed right now?

Again, it's not actually a big deal. There is no reason I need to get Parasite on Wednesday as opposed to Thursday. But it's weird and annoying in principle.

Has anyone else ever had this happen before?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
All of my Amazon orders over the past several months take 7-10 days minimum, so consider yourself lucky if you only have to wait 2 days.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It's not so much the Thursday thing that I find weird as the fact that I could've had it sooner by placing a new order yesterday. That's unusual.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's not so much the Thursday thing that I find weird as the fact that I could've had it sooner by placing a new order yesterday. That's unusual.

Assuming you believe the Amazon autobot thing. I've had too many of those 'get it by' things that suddenly turned into the same issue as your original order once it was placed.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, Parasite came on Wednesday after all. But it doesn't include the customary Criterion booklet which the back cover and press release both say it's supposed to have.

I seem to have a string of rotten luck lately in this regard. Last week I went through four steelbook box sets for Back to the Future without finding a clean copy. Also, one of the Charlie Brown discs came with a defective case, loose disc and broken hub situation. Then the replacement for that one keeps the disc in place but won't close all the way.

I understand that mistakes and imperfections happen from time to time, especially when I place a lot of orders. But it seems like of late I have had more than my fair share of issues. :laugh: :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks