What's new

Weekly RoundUp 10-23-2007 (2 Viewers)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

My Netflix does not show then as available -- though they have the old versions.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

2001, Clockwork Orange, Eyes Wide Shut and Shining all have options for DVD, HD and Blu Ray. All have Oct. 23, 2007 as the release date.

I hope this helps: The Shining.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
for the saw tril.

check local blockbuster.

it has a list of 34.99 but there is a popup coupon dropping it to 27.99.

also this has been appearing, including the bbv were i work, after the auto pop up coupon, for 21.99.
ymmv

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Small nit, but Amazon lists the Kubrick titles for $19.95 for HD DVD and $18.95 for the Blu-Ray.
Why Warner didn't throw them all in a box with a discount for completists is beyond me.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Not a nit, Doug. Let's call it an update.

I actually double-checked those prices when I first compiled this week's table because they were all over the board. Like they have with a number of titles, they seemed to have updated their prices closing in on release day.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know which stories are on the The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror disc at Circuit City? I assume it is a compilation?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

bobraleigh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bob
If anyone needs to finish the Universal Horror Collection, like me, Borders has them all on sale for $14.99 each until Halloween (i think). These are the ones that came out in 2004. Drac, Frankie, Wolfie, Mummy, etc..

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

I've no doubt the HD releases will be the new versions, but looks like Netflix is not replacing their old DVD versions with the new versions. If they were, the DVD of each of these would be 2-disc sets. But I am not too familiar with how fast Netflix updates their artwork and specs when new editions come out, so, maybe. The only one I have waited years to see is the uncut Eyes Wide Shut. I may buy that one anyhow.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I can see I am setting myself up for another week of "new release frustration"!

I just returned from Best Buy, Circuit City, Target and Barnes & Noble in search of O Lucky Man! and no one has it.

Not only that, no one is getting it.

According to the sku# in his store computer, a clerk at Best Buy said it is only available as an online item. And a very helpful clerk at Barnes & Noble looked it up in his computer and said that they only have 30 copies in their inventory nationally.

Add this title to the rapidly growing list of Roger Corman, Vincent Price, Frankie & Annette, Mario Bava and Fly boxsets, all of which I had to buy online.

Message to the b&m's and big box stores... If you don't carry it, you can't sell it.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know what the Target B&M prices are on the Kubrick Blu-rays? They're not the same as online are they?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That's why I almost always order small titles online and use the B&M stores to buy bigger titles. Shelf space at stores is premium real estate and they don't stock small titles that a small number of people will want.

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
Got Meet The Robinsons at CC but they (as usual) didn't get a single copy of The Shining 25AE. They got ONE copy of it on BD but no standard dvd. Had to get it at Wal Mart for $15.96. I sure wish we had a Best Buy.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I did use the deal to get $5 off ANY Disney DVD tonight to make my purchase of Meet the Robinsons.

By pre-ordering Ratatouille (with a $5 downpayment), they took $5 off Meet the Robinsons. With their Disney sale this week the price went from $22.49 to $17.49. :emoji_thumbsup: When I go purchase Ratatouille, I'll probably do the same pre-order deal on PotC III. :)

BTW, for those who followed the odyssey of doing this same deal a few weeks ago for The Jungle Book, they did NOT at that time charge the $5 downpayment for Ratatouille...but they did give the $5 off TJB.

This time, they charged the $5 downpayment for Ratatouille, but I had to point out that they neglected to deduct the $5 from MTR. The cashier did it gladly manually.

==============================

I also searched for A Christmas Carol but did not find it at Best Buy or FYE.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Hit Target on the way home from work...it is THE place to get the I Love Lucy Complete Series Set: Reg. price is $159.99, and at an unadvertised price of $139.99 until 10/29!!! They had the Standard versions of three Kubrick titles (2001, The Shining and Clockwork Orange) at $14.99 each. Hostel Part 2 (Blu-ray) was $29.99 and three of the UA Cinema Classics sets were at $29.99 also.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I am a bit dismayed that on a forum like HTF, members dismiss O Lucky Man! as a "...small title(s) that a small number of people will want." I know I am not alone in the high regard I hold for this classic film.

Review #1
Review #2
Review #3

As always, YMMV, but I took the plunge on Amazon and plan to revisit this wonderful, quirky film on DVD this Friday night.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Gary: I understand your frustration. I couldn't even find a copy of A Christmas Carol at Best Buy or FYE last night.

But, I don't think Travis was "dismissing" O Lucky Man! in any way. I think he's probably right to think of it as a catalog title which won't be racking up major sales for the studio.

You know the drill. If you're lucky enough to find a copy of a desired catalog title on release day at a B&M, you're going to have to reach over a stack of a title like Transformers to reach it. It's the reality of the situation.

No one here at the HTF would ever equate big sales to quality of production.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
You are correct, Mike. And I certainly did not mean to take issue with Travis. I guess I overreacted a bit when I saw his post followed by Robert's post. Before I tracked back through the thread, I thought Robert was "thanking" Travis for his remark about O Lucky Man!, when in reality, he was referring to something different altogether.

No harm. No foul.

My apologies to Travis.

That said, I still find it frustrating that I now have to do all of my catalog title shopping online...

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks