What's new

Weekly Roundup 10/22 (E.T. Phone Home!) (1 Viewer)

Michael Moulton

Stunt Coordinator
Did anybody have trouble with getting a price match for E.T.?

I went to Circuit City, where the woman claimed that "it's only $14.95 if you buy the batteries!" despite the fact that it is CLEARLY labelled $14.95 and then "SAVE $4" is printed. She went and asked the manager, he said no, and I walked out-- waited by the manager for a minute or two while he helped someone else so I could tell him what I thought but he pretty much ignored me.

Best Buy... same thing. But instead of going to a manager, she decided to call K-Mart. After being on hold for nearly 10 minutes, she decided to give me the price match anyway instead of waiting any longer.

Peter_C

Auditioning
Anyone have luck finding the E.T. 3-disc Ultimate Gift set at Costco? It's not showing up on their website, so maybe the stores aren't carrying it.

Shawn Sefranek

Second Unit
I had no problem price-matching ET at Best Buy.

I had the big buck BOX SET in my hands, but just couldn’t justify the nearly FOUR times the price difference.
Beautiful looking set for those who are getting it though.

Shawn S

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Peter_C--my local Costco didn't have the gift set either...
Shawn--I bought the ET gift box set--it is very nice; guess I'll just put it next to my JP box set, although in retrospect I would have bought the smaller box set (the one that comes with the bonus fourth DVD that contains the extra deleted scenes and such) instead of the extravagent one that includes the soundtrack on a CD and other nick-knacks...;)

Peter_C

Auditioning
Tonytone- I notice you're from Northern California. Which Costco did you visit? SF? Richmond?

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Did anybody have trouble with getting a price match for E.T.?
No problem at Circuit City for me. Just went to the register, asked for a price match and got it. No KMart circular needed. No hassles from the sales person either. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Also picked up Star Trek III for $19.99
Joe

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
I bought the ET gift box set at Best Buy; when I got there around 11 AM I could find but two copies sitting on a little display table, one of which I snagged. I admit that I didn't look throughout the entire store to see if BB placed more copies elsewhere--I did not see any in the "DVD Collector Sets" aisle though, nor did I bother to ask if they had any more in the back. Either BB sold a bunch of them in the first hour or they didn't have that many available to begin with. Oh well...
For whatever reason, the Ultimate Gift Sets are supposed to go in the Family section, with the other two E.T. DVDs.
Also, when I left work today at around two, the UGS was outselling the pan-and-scan version. :emoji_thumbsup:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
For you Costco shoppers, check out the $6.99 DVDs and other new deals I found. I put them in a new thread.
I didn't see the Artison titles there (High Noon, etc.). Nor the ET Gift Set. I did see the latter at BB, in the Family section as Matt says. BB didn't have the Chuck Jones...not even a price listing nor any copies ordered!
Matt! What's the story with the Chuck Jones disc? Me want!

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I got mine from WMart as well for only $14.87 with no batteries to buy. They say this price is only good through Friday. There seemed to be the same amount of WS ones too! :emoji_thumbsup:

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
BB didn't have the Chuck Jones...not even a price listing nor any copies ordered!

Matt! What's the story with the Chuck Jones disc? Me want!
Don't know! I'll look into it Thursday, when I work next. Sometimes that miscellaneous-type-stuff is listed in the computer in awkward ways--maybe its in there.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I got the 2-disc set E.T. at Wal-Mart for $14.87, too. Plenty of Widescreen available. No High Noons (although I wasn't expecting any there;) )

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Don't know! I'll look into it Thursday, when I work next. Sometimes that miscellaneous-type-stuff is listed in the computer in awkward ways--maybe its in there.
No no no no no!
It WAS in there. Look it up as "Extremes and"; you will see the listing with no problem. I can even tell you it is supposed to live in the "Special Interest" section.
What the problem IS, is that it shows a price of 0.00 and the quantities on-hand and the quantities on-order are both zero!! :angry:

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Oh, well, then, I don't know what to tell you. As you well know, a lot of the less-mainstream titles like that, Best Buy stores just don't handle (although the website will usually have them). There's still a bunch of fairly-mainstream titles like Nashville and The Remains of the Day, that I want, that aren't even listed in the computer system, but are on the website.

Still, I'll look and see if the warehouse has any on order. If they don't, I wouldn't expect to see that title at your Best Buy anytime soon, if ever. If they do, then I wouldn't expect to see them until at least a week or two from now.

Sorry!

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
I didn't see the Artison titles there (High Noon, etc.). Nor the ET Gift Set. I did see the latter at BB, in the Family section as Matt says. BB didn't have the Chuck Jones...not even a price listing nor any copies ordered!
Artison? Now I know where you got the "a" from in Scorpian King! :) Just funnin' of course. Thanks for the roundup it has been saving me a lot of money since I discovered it.
On another note, is there anyway to get competitors to pricematch Costco if you're not a member? I am not a member.

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
Guys, the $24.99 E.T. Ultimate Gift Set deal at K-mart is back on:
Link Removed
I just ordered 2 sets. The availability was 3-4 weeks.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Artison? Now I know where you got the "a" from in Scorpian King! Just funnin' of course. Thanks for the roundup it has been saving me a lot of money since I discovered it.
On another note, is there anyway to get competitors to pricematch Costco if you're not a member? I am not a member.
I've been more and more spelling-deficient lately. Comes with senility. Thanks for the bitch-slap. :p)
Speaking just for around here: Noone will price-match Costco because it's a members-only club (not even Sam's will match Costco).
Costo won't match anyone because their prices are so low already they can't afford to pricematch, they tell me. :rolleyes:I assume Sam's would say something similar, but I have never asked.
When pricematching is discussed, my brain just automatically excludes the warehouse clubs from the entire deal...

Mike Friedrich

Stunt Coordinator
Thanx Andea, I just ordered 4 sets, one for myself, 1 for my partner, 1 for my sister & her family, and one to sell, total for all 4 is under a hundred shipped, no tax, only $2.98/Sh and $10 off for orders totaling $99 or more, sweet !
bodym:cool:v'n

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Andrea - Not working now. Also searched there site and could not even get ET to come up.

Yesterday I bought LOTR:FOTR Extended Edition and ST III Collector's Edition, from Amazon for a total of $40.48. ($5 coupon and free shipping). Not too bad of a deal, I think.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
Best Buy went above and beyond on the price matching for me: Not only did the cashier give me the K-mart $14.95 price for E.T., she also noticed that Mr. Deeds was only $14.95 at K-mart (compared to Best Buy's $14.99), and insisted on knocking another 4 cents off of my bill.

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
I've been more and more spelling-deficient lately. Comes with senility. Thanks for the bitch-slap.
I wouldn't go so far as to call it a bitch-slap! :)
I figured I was SOL about pricematching Costco, but I figured I'd ask anyway. No biggie, I save plenty of dough shopping around anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks