What's new

Weekly Roundup 10/22 (E.T. Phone Home!) (1 Viewer)

Keith M.

Second Unit
all I can say is SCREW KMART!!!!!!!!!!

I hated the store to begin with and then wasting my time going there, after the person on the phone said they had plenty in stock. Of course only Fullscreen...

The store is a complete dump and never wish to go there again...

I will just pay whatever BB has it for, and forget about it!!

Not worth the hassles...

John Knowles

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Well, the Kmart I tried here in the Twin Cities didn't even have any....hadn't even gotten their shipment yet. Maybe I can get someone to price match.

Doug_R

Auditioning
Wal-Mart had both Full Screen and Widescreen E.T for $14.87.

It was about 2 to 1 with the P&S in their aisle rack.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
[rant]THOUGHTS ABOUT K-MART[/rant]
Whenever I see that there is a super-low loss leader deal at K-Mart, I'm pleased. I know I'll get the price...even if it means I don't get it at K-Mart.
If it is a widescreen-possible-only SKU item, like Monsters Inc. was (in other words, you CAN'T buy the wrong thing, because there's only a WS version or both versions are on the same disc), then I go to K-Mart. I want to support them whereever possible, so these prices continue.
If K-Mart gives me a hassle (trashy store, poor service, no stock, whatever), then I just move on to the local Wal-Mart, Circuit City, or Best Buy, who will match their price. Wal-Mart's best; they are the lowest-hassle and usually beat 'em already by a few cents.
If there is a possibility that K-Mart could ONLY have the MAR format version of the item, then I ignore them and head straight to Wal-Mart. Funny, but they always have both versions. K-Mart is only stocking the wrong version most of the time. Whenever they are able to, in fact. But, if I have a problem at Wal-Mart, I just move on to BB, CC, or whatever.
I know that not everyone has the same options that I do. I'm sorry for that; best of luck with your indvidual situations!
For those who read my Roundups who DO have KM as an option, but are fustrated with them for the reasons people are listing, I just wanted to explain: I'm happy about their low prices, but I'm not automatically taking K-Mart themselves up on that price. I use my head, and go to the store that will have what I want, at the best possible price, while sometimes sacrificing a bit of price to get some better service.
They are all factors in any buying decision, big or small. :emoji_thumbsup:

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Personal notes regarding my DVD-movie buying trip today:
1--Unfortunately, my local Costco didn't have the ET ultimate gift set so I wound up buying it at Best Buy (more on this in a moment).
2--Costco did have Star Trek III for $17.99 so I bought it from there of course.
3--More Costco--they had the 007 box set for $74.99; said box set also includes a $7 Costco gift card. Personally, I didn't care much for the box set so I bought only Tomorrow Never Dies and Goldeneye for $12.99 each at Best Buy.
4--And even more Costco--my local Costco had the 2-disc ET for $19.99, as opposed to the $21.99 listed in the roundup. Yes--I know the prices in the roundup list aren't 100% confirmed, but the Costco ET pricing is moot anyway since everyone is either gonna buy theirs at Walmart or price-match at Target or Best Buy.
5--Regarding having to read the fine print on the back of the 2-disc ET to see if it's either widescreen or full screen--the ones sold at Best Buy have stickers plastered on the shrinkwrap stating either wide- or fullscreen. Of course, you guys will check the back of the package closely anyways...:D
6--I mentioned I bought the ET gift box set at Best Buy; when I got there around 11 AM I could find but two copies sitting on a little display table, one of which I snagged. I admit that I didn't look throughout the entire store to see if BB placed more copies elsewhere--I did not see any in the "DVD Collector Sets" aisle though, nor did I bother to ask if they had any more in the back. Either BB sold a bunch of them in the first hour or they didn't have that many available to begin with. Oh well...

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
For those who read my Roundups who DO have KM as an option, but are frustrated with them for the reasons people are listing, I just wanted to explain: I'm happy about their low prices, but I'm not automatically taking K-Mart themselves up on that price. I use my head, and go to the store that will have what I want, at the best possible price, while sometimes sacrificing a bit of price to get some better service
Dave you couldn't have said it any better. That's why I'm going to avoid KM for the ET 2 disc set or any other dual aspect ratio DVD. It's not worth the aggravation of having to jackass up to KM & being disappointed. I'll just walk into Best Buy or Circuit City with the circular and hope they price match. If they don't, no skin off my ass.

Joe

Paul Chi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Where can i get the K-mart flyer for ET? I forgot to buy the paper on sunday. Is there a direct link and will Best Buy accept a price match if i don't have the actaul flyer? Thanks everyone.

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
Regarding Target pricematching, if you haven't tried it at your local Target yet, I'll just say good luck.
Agreed. I guess somebody at Target decided all those thousands of dollars I spent at their stores over the years means I deserve nothing but contempt at the service counter. Their policies are so severe and restrictive, I think twice before buying anything at Target anymore because if I have a return--no matter what the circumstances--I know I'm in for a hassle.
If that's good business, then I guess I just don't get it. :confused:

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Well, I'm having the same K-Mart experience as everyone else. Plenty of copies but all the wrong kind. Went to Wal-Mart and the thing I love about them is that they were marked so well with stickers either "WIDESCREEN" or "FULL SCREEN" you couldn't make a mistake. Picked it up for $14.87.

Jodee

Screenwriter
Y Tu Mama Tambien is only $16.99 at Costco. Unrated version. I also picked up Star Trek III.

Did not see High Noon or any of the other Westerns.

Bought ET at Circuit City w/ Kmart price match.

Len Simons

Agent
Went to Target for ET with the K-Mart flyer in hand. They had lots of Widescreen copies and a handful of PoS, er sorry, P&S, all marked at $16.99.
I took one up to the service counter and had no problems getting K-Mart's price matched.

About the only complaint I have is that there's no labeling on the spine of the digipak. It would have been nice if they'd enclosed it in a plastic sleeve (a la Usual Suspects SE) or a cardboard one (like Pulp Fiction/Jackie Brown). It's nice to actually see a title when perusing the discs on my shelves.

Shawn Sefranek

Second Unit
I don’t even bother going to K-Mart to purchase their sale titles.
I tried this for the last couple of “loss leader” releases and they only had the Pan & Scam versions.
I haven’t had a problem yet with price matching at my local Best Buy so I don’t even plan to head over to K-Mart tonight for ET.
But I do have my K-Mart flyer in my briefcase for the price-match.

Shawn S

Greg S

Supporting Actor
E.T. 2 disc for $14.87 no problem at Wally World (went at lunch). I'll be heading to Target on the way home for Mad About You for $16.99, this will make a GREAT cheap xmas gift for the wife as she loves this show!! If Target has STIII for reasonable price I will snag it as Costco is 30 minutes out of my way.
Thanks again as usual David for making me spend more $$$ ;) :) !!
Greg

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
My ET saga began on opening of my very conveniently located Target. They had a copy at $16.99 but I wanted a price match for KMart. They refused citing that they no longer honor pricematches. They also indicated that they would have required the actual circular rather than my downloaded copy from the Internet. I did pick up a $16.99 price on Mad About You.

On to the closest KMart. After 30 minutes of waiting for assistance (while explaining the virtues of WS to an employee who was confounded about my preference for WS --with the black bars and all...) I found only Full Screen versions available and a quick call to the next nearest KMart was the same. So on I went to WalMart. This time there were plenty of WS copies available though at roughly 50% of the FF copies. I was able to pricematch (rather than find the price at $14.87 as others here have) so I paid a couple of pennies more but without any hassle.

I might still check Costco since it's so close by to see if they have Y Tu Mama Tambien but if they have it today they will have it later as well. That title won't likely move very fast around here.

Joel

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I took the Kmart ad to Best Buy for a price match. Kmart had nothing but fullscreen copies.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
I bought Star Trek III at Costco on the way home from work today - price is $17.99, 2 bucks cheaper than Best Buy. Lots of copies, too.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The only thing I bought at Costco today was "Y Tu Mama Tambien" for $16.99 + tax - easily the best film to be released today. If it hadn't been released, I might have ponied up for ST III SE. But I'm on an austerity kick, trying to limit my purchases to must-have's for the time being.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks