Weekly Roundup 10/22 (E.T. Phone Home!)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lambert, Oct 20, 2002.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

It was nothing like that, penis-breath!
    [c][​IMG][/c]
    Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, the week of the release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website...but it COULD still be in-stores!
    I only include the titles I feel like including. In fact, the titles are pretty much the ones I'm personally interested in, with few exceptions. I don't get paid for this, and I don't have time to devote to doing every DVD. I have a lovely wife and a four-year-old son I'd rather spend time with. Please don't complain. If there is a title not included in the Roundup that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone...like I do!
    Note that Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii.

[c]
    __________TITLE___________Amazon_BestBuy_CrcCity_CostCo__SamsClb_Borders
    Bob/Builder: White Xmas__$12.74__$17.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Carry On Collection______$67.49__$59.99__$99.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$89.99
    Chuck Jones: Extremes..._$11.24__$ 9.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Down By Law - CC_________$29.96__$34.99__$34.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$35.99
    E.T. 2-Disc Limited (WS)_$22.49__$19.99__$19.99__$21.99__$_N/A___$22.99
    E.T. 3-Disc Ult. Giftset_$52.49__$54.99__$69.99__$49.99__$_N/A___$66.99
    Gigantor Vol. 1 #'s 1-26_$44.96__$49.99__$49.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$59.99
    High Noon - SE___________$14.99__$14.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$14.99
    James Bond 007 Set 1_____$81.22__$74.99__$77.99__$74.99__$_N/A___$99.99
    James Bond (individuals)_$14.99__$12.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Life&Death/Col. Blimp-CC_$29.96__$34.99__$34.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$35.99
    Mad About You: Season 1__$22.46__$19.99__$24.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$25.99
    Mr. Deeds (WS)___________$20.99__$14.99__$15.99__$18.99__$18.48__$19.95
    The Quiet Man - SE_______$14.99__$17.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Rio Grande - SE__________$14.99__$14.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    ST3: Search for Spock-CE_$19.49__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    [/c]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    * Who's your daddy? How about E.T. for $14.95, and minus $4 more if you need some batteries? K-Mart delivers the loss leader, again! And if that's not enough, they are dumping Mr. Deeds on the market for $14.95 as well! (no battery deal on Mr. Deeds, though).
    * BUT BE CAREFUL! E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (as well as Mr. Deeds is available in both Widescreen and Fullscreen versions...get the correct one. "See What You've Been Missing: SEE IT IN WIDESCREEN!" [​IMG]
    * Here is a new Borders coupon, similar to the last one (this time the store opening was in Atlanta). It expires 11/8, and is good for up to 15% off on DVDs, but the usual twenty percent on the rest. The prices in the Roundup do NOT reflect this discount.
    * Circuit City has a $10 phone card for you when you buy E.T..
    * Best Buy will take $4 off the price of E.T if you are also getting either Saving Private Ryan or Jurassic Park. Also, BB is serving up new CD releases from Foo Fighters, Chris Robinson, and the VH1 Divas 2002 for $11.99 each. Why do I bring it up? Because each one comes with a bonus DVD! The latter one, VH1 Divas Las Vegas, has appearances on the DVD by Celine Dion, Shakira, Cher, and The Dixie Chicks!
    * Target seems to have my business for Mad About You, with a $16.99 price tag on it! E.T. is "Low Price", probably for the same $16.99 tag. Mr. Deeds is "Low Price" as well, but you're treated to $5 off if you also buy either The Animal, Big Daddy, orJoe Dirt. Finally, despite being wrong about the ad saying "First Time on DVD", you can't go wrong with the individual 007 titles on a "2 for $25" basis.
    * Even Walgreens is in on the act this week! [​IMG] E.T. is $19.99, but you can save $5 if you use the coupon to get a Kodak Picture CD at the same time. Also, Mr. Deeds is $19.99.
    * On the other hand, CompUSA is sitting it out this week. Ah, well.
    * Wal-Mart has no new circular ad this week (they print theirs monthly, not weekly like the others). But, as usual, you can expect them to take the major titles (E.T., Mr. Deeds, 007) and try to beat the competition by just a hair. Check in with them...especially if your local K-Mart refuses to stock those widescreen copies.
    * Last week I talked about Best Buy stores raising their prices. Be aware that this is hitting another chain: FYE. Their parent company, TransWorld Entertainment Corp. (TWEC), has raised prices at all of their chains, in fact. But the mall-based FYE stores is the hardest hit, according to reports I'm getting. Everyday prices will typically be up to $3 OVER the list price, if you can believe that. In fact, expect prices to rarely be below SRP, excepting for a sale.
    The latest markdowns according to VideoTropics web site (DVD Title/Old SRP/New SRP):
    -------------------------
    • Dr. No (Special Edition) $34.98 $19.95
    • Goldeneye (Special Edition) $34.98 $19.95
    • Goldfinger (Special Edition) $34.98 $19.95
    • License To Kill (Special Edition) $34.98 $19.95
    • Man With the Golden Gun, The $34.98 $19.95
    • Spy Who Loved Me, The (Special Edition) $34.98 $19.95
    • Tomorrow Never Dies (Special Edition) $34.98 $19.95

2. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Screenwriter

Joseph E Fisher
    With all the E.T. talk the past few weeks I forgot that Star Trek III was coming out. I'll be picking that one up along with the E.T. Ultimate Gift Set that is coming in the mail at that really Special Kmart price a few of us got in on. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Joe

3. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

It sounds like there is some improvement in picture for both High Noon and Star Trek 3 over the current releases, so I'll be buying those.
    I'll also buy E.T. (2 disc), but it's a shame that Universal is putting the deleted scenes on their website only. What a f-ing joke. [​IMG]. Hell, I'd have upgraded to the 3 disc set just for the deleted scenes. Looks like I'll be holding onto my laser disc for those.

4. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S

5. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S

6. josh4040

josh4040 Second Unit

dave how about prices on y tu mama tambien?

7. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams
    Just wondering on E.T....

* is it a given that K-Mart will stock the widescreen version?

* Are the widescreen and full-screen versions clearly marked?

8. Wade K

Wade K Second Unit

It's in the Best Buy ad for $19.99.

9. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Durrr!!!!! Why does K-Mart have to be so far away?

10. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

11. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    I see that Target has become coy with their prices. They have ET - 2 disk in both widescreen and P&S, but just say "low price". They give the price for VHS at $14.99

12. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Josh - Can't say I've heard of that one. It's a mouthful though, isn't it! [​IMG]
    Dennis - Target has been doing that, um, forever. So has everyone else. Nothing new. The price I say in the Roundup I'm reasonably sure of, but I could be wrong of course.
    Cameron - I understand that it is NOT in the grid on the back, but rather on a sticker that could be on the front OR the back of the box. Be *Very* careful that you get what you want!
    Bleddyn - I expect K-Mart to have *ZERO* Wide copies of E.T. or Mr. Deeds, in reality. Be prepared to go pricematch somewhere. Wal-Mart does it automatically, so that's a safe bet.
    Chris - "market research". God forbid. Bite your tongue!

13. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    "Mad About You" for $16.99 at Target is a must-snag!

It's interesting that all the online retailers I visited this morning (DVD Empire, Amazon, DDD, DVD Planet) are still showing MAY availability on 10/29. Wasn't this date changed to 10/22 months ago? Strange. Anyway, they snooze, they lose - my business, that is!!

14. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Dave:
    Thanks as always for a great Roundup. Very thorough, indeed! If you need some help in coming weeks because of your other commitments, I'd be glad to help out--and I'd bet there are others who would volunteer, too!
    I'll be at K-Mart Tuesday (for what seems like the umpteenth straight week) to snag E.T. I'll also be looking for High Noon at BestBuy. BB also has for $11.99 a great CD--Diana Krall Live at Paris. This is a companion CD to the fabulous concert DVD of the same name.
    It is really hard for me to believe TWEC is raising its DVD prices--especially at its FYE mall locations. Their prices are already the absolute highest around. I don't think I have EVER purchased a DVD at an FYE. In fact, if you remember, I refused to buy 1776 there for $29.99 in its first week of release. I didn't end up finding it for another couple of weeks, but paid only $19.99 for it!
    And, regarding, The Quiet Man, I would just warn everyone to read Ron's Review before making a blind purchase. I'm sure some will want it no matter what, but others might want to wait.
    OTOH,Ron's Review of High Noon is a big thumbs up. The screencaps look great!

15. rob kilbride

rob kilbride Supporting Actor

Rob Kilbride
    Do you know if Best Buy or Circuit City would match the batteries part of K-Mart's ET offer too? I'm not counting on K-Mart having widescreen.

16. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Circuit City is offering a bonus disc with the Bond set that has 40min of footage on it.

17. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

Down By Law is a must purchase for me. I'll probably get E.T. as well.

18. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Wonder how much trouble I'm going to have getting BB to pricematch the $14.95 E.T. and $9.99 Foo Fighters this Tuesday...

19. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Costco had Kahn for $17.49 so I'm hoping they bite on Search for Spock too !

20. rob kilbride

rob kilbride Supporting Actor

Rob Kilbride
    Where are the Foo Fighters $9.99?