What's new

Weekly RoundUp 10-13-2015 (2 Viewers)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
JakeLip said:
Thanks for the info. I'm still going to call the bank on Monday and see what's going on, but hopefully the issue will go away soon. I will report back later this week when this gets resolved, somehow or other.
Are Banks open Monday? I lose track who gets official Holiday for 2nd tier Fed Holidays like Columbus Day or does that vary by bank?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
You are absolutely right - I forgot that tomorrow is a holiday.

In other news, I just received shipping confirmation from Best Buy on Aladdin and Billy Elliot, so if the shipping of the items does remove one of the two charges, that should happen soon (but maybe not until Tuesday if banks are closed tomorrow?)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Mike Frezon said:
Even though I'd love to get the BD of Billy Elliot the Musical for just $14.99...going through BestBuy.com didn't appeal to me. So, I'm just going to keep it in my amazon cart in the hopes that price will drop someday before Christmas.

For anyone else considering this one but put off by the high Amazon price, it's worth noting that PBS will be airing it later this month on Friday the 23rd, as part of its Great Performances series. So you could watch it for free before a potential price drop.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Mike - my review for Criterion's release of The Brood has been posted.

Thanks for the roundup. I have Tomorrowland coming from Disney (one of my DMC commitment purchases), and thought I want to see San Andreas, I'll need to wait for the price of the 3D version to fall.

Glad to read that you are nicely on the mend, Mike!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
Let's see. Now that I think about it, I've got a few things on their way to me this week from Amazon:

Aladdin (even though I've had the UK release for years)

Tomorrowland

Witness

I've also had the UK Man Who Shot Liberty Valance for years..but I'm more than happy to let that release stand.

Sometime down the road, I will pick up San Andreas when I see it used/cheap somewhere. I will also be picking up Billy Elliot the Musical eventually.

Hmmmmm. My Amazon order page is telling me Witness won't reach me until NEXT Tuesday.

And I forgot that Phantom of the Opera is also on its way to me. Big haul tomorrow.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike Frezon said:
Hmmmmm. My Amazon order page is telling me Witness won't reach me until NEXT Tuesday.

And I forgot that Phantom of the Opera is also on its way to me. Big haul tomorrow.
Most of the Warner/Paramount titles are out of stock. My Witness is delayed and doesn't even have a ship date.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah. I just got an e-mail from Amazon this morning asking my approval to keep my order active for Witness...and they have changed the release date from October 13th>October 20th>"We'll let you know."

Witness IS a new release, isn't it? Why would it be out of stock? Is this an Amazon-specific problem?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike Frezon said:
Yeah. I just got an e-mail from Amazon this morning asking my approval to keep my order active for Witness...and they have changed the release date from October 13th>October 20th>"We'll let you know."

Witness IS a new release, isn't it? Why would it be out of stock? Is this an Amazon-specific problem?
Like I said, most of the Warner/Paramount titles being released this week are out of stock at Amazon. Hell, my Witness email didn't even specified a date, but noted I had to November to approve whether I still want this title even if its delayed.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Amazon has lowered their price of Billy Elliot The Musical Live on Blu-ray to $14.99 to match Best Buy...naturally, this was after I had all the drama with BB...

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
For anybody who cares, here is the latest on my Best Buy saga: The second charge still hadn't disappeared today, so I called my bank. We did a 3-way conference call with Best Buy.

Aladdin and Billy Elliot were just shy of the $35 free shipping minimum. Shipping charges would have been $2.99 per item if I had just ordered those, so I decided to select a random third item to make the total order cheaper. I found a poster for $0.99 and added that, which pushed me over the line, so I ordered these. The poster shipped early, but I was billed for everything at once.

Then, later, when they shipped out Aladdin and Billy Elliot, a second charge was placed for the total of the order minus the poster, just the 2 Blu-rays. Because they knew the bank was on the phone, they admitted this error and called it a glitch in their system which charged me twice. I'll get the money back in up to 5 business days and if I don't I'll have to cal them back again.

In other words: I was right. And, I won't be using BB.com again. I don't usually use Best Buy stores either, but if they have an exclusive I want in the future, I'll go get it rather than deal with the online people. Or I may well just stick with Amazon for everything now.

I *love* that Amazon does not place holds or charges on funds until they actually ship -- and if Best Buy operated this way, the whole issue would have likely been avoided.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I sure this may have been posted in some thread, but the Edward Scissorhands 25th Ann Target Steelbook is ringing up 9.99 in store vs $25 online.

DCPI also seems wrong on teh web and is pointing to to Girls.
My receipt and in store has DCPI 058-32-0623.

I couldn't find it b/c I kept looking for a giant green LE cover, but the clerk
when I asked her knew exactly where it was b/c apparently she had already bought hers -- not only did I not get the clueless look
when I mentioned Bluray, she even mentioned it looked different b/c it was a steelbook. I so rarely run into Target/BBY/Walmart clerks
that actually seem to buy movies and understand the different packaging it shocked me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike Frezon said:
Thanks for reporting in, Jake.

Even though I'd love to get the BD of Billy Elliot the Musical for just $14.99...going through BestBuy.com didn't appeal to me. So, I'm just going to keep it in my amazon cart in the hopes that price will drop someday before Christmas.

I guess you just confirmed why my gut was telling me to stay away from bb.com.
Mike,

Billy Elliot the Musical has dropped to $14.99 at Amazon. Also, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance has dropped to $9.69

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I got the same Amazon email on Liberty Valence. Additionally I'm still waiting for my Spartacus to ship. Both were preordered back in late August.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Even though the Tomorrowland Blu-Ray was under $20 on the Walmart website, it was close to $27 on the shelves. Fortunately, the cashier agreed to price match the website and I got it for $19.92.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
In all seriousness -- what kind of sales numbers would be expected from an HD-DVD title at this point? Like, why bother? It doesn't even have a retro coolness/novelty factor like vinyl.

I noticed the same thing as Adam at my Wal-Mart with Tomorrowland yesterday and was really surprised to see a new release that high.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I happened to be at Wal-Mart yesterday to pick up a quick food item.

At the endcap near the express register were Blu copies of San Andreas for $24.99! :blink:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks