What's new

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I was in Target on Tuesday and didn't see Yellow Rose in either format. I went to Wal*Mart today (back in the day it is where I picked up the DVD of the Unrated version of Y Tu Mama Tambien). They did not have either format or a space where it would have been.
Even before this latest SNAFU, I don't think the Yellow Rose Blu-ray was ever intended for a retail release. It looked like an MOD job that went to the online retailers only.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
What's bizarre is that Sony's social media pages for the film on both Facebook and Twitter are still promoting a Blu-ray release.

I tweeted to Diane Paragas (the director of the film, who is active on Twitter) and asked if she knew whether a Blu-ray had been released or if it was DVD only. It feels like she should probably be informed about that since it's her movie. We'll see if she responds. If she does, I will report back with any information.

Mike Frezon

Premium
The difference here is that Yellow Rose was announced as a Blu-ray. I can't recall a situation before where a title I wanted was actually announced as a Blu-ray and then they decided to go with DVD only after the fact. That is more disappointing to me than if Sony had just admitted it was going to be DVD only from the outset.

The end result is the same.

There was a title announced for Blu just a few weeks/months ago that got withdrawn and became DVD-only. Unfortunately, I cannot, for the life of me, remember which it was.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Good news! I heard back from Diane Pargas, the director of Yellow Rose, on Twitter.

She's right. Lo and behold, the blu-ray does appear to be in stock at Walmart.com. I just ordered it and have an estimated delivery date of Friday.

@Mike Frezon @Adam Lenhardt @Malcolm R @B-ROLL

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
There is also a copy on eBay for $39.99. I wouldn't recommend paying that much because Wal-Mart is cheaper, but if you look at the listing, it sure looks like the photograph is of the actual item and not just a stock photo of the cover art. So apparently at least some people did get it on Blu-ray already.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Amazon and Best Buy both appear to have Yellow Rose back in stock, sort of. Amazon says their copies would arrive on January 20, and Best Buy says "Get it In 8 days" so that's the same day.

I haven't yet received shipping confirmation from Walmart even though it is allegedly arriving on Friday.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I looked again and my Wal-Mart order did not say this Friday, but next Friday. Because it hadn't shipped yet, I was able to cancel there and reordered with Amazon. Because I am a Prime member, that was cheaper than paying Wal-Mart's shipping.

I just received a shipping confirmation email from Amazon indicating a delivery date of January 25, which seems like a really long wait for something that has already been shipped. They are listing the shipper as "UPSM," which I've never seen before. I know what UPS is, but I've never seen an M with their name. Does anyone know what this means?

The tracking number provided works with the post office but it says that they are currently awaiting the package and has no other details.

Also @Mike Frezon, has your order from Amazon shipped yet? If not, you might try cancelling and reordering.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Best Buy shipped my order this morning as well:
BBY-YellowRose_Shipped.png

It looks like it was an issue of them underestimating the demand and significantly underordering for the first manufacturing run, and now the second manufacturing run is making it to all of the e-tailers.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
@Mike Frezon if you got that message it means yours has already shipped. Mine says the same thing with an estimated delivery date of the 25th rather than the 20th. Out of curiosity, who is listed as the shipper on your tracking? Mine is listed as UPSM, which I've never heard of before.

@Adam Lenhardt out of curiosity, does yours have an estimated delivery date?

I still feel like January 25 is a long time to get here for something ordered with Prime which already shipped. I'll take what I can get now and don't want to change it again, but it's weird. I don't think I've ever waited 12 days between Amazon shipping notice and delivery since I've been a Prime member.

At least the Blu-ray does exist and is making its way out into the world, albeit slowly.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Not yet. It is in the US Postal Service's tracking system now, though; I have an origin scan at the regional facility in Louisville, KY. The way packages have been piling up at the Albany regional hub on Old Karner Rd, I'd add five days to any estimate the post office provided anyway.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
@Mike Frezon if you got that message it means yours has already shipped. Mine says the same thing with an estimated delivery date of the 25th rather than the 20th. Out of curiosity, who is listed as the shipper on your tracking? Mine is listed as UPSM, which I've never heard of before.

I still feel like January 25 is a long time to get here for something ordered with Prime which already shipped. I'll take what I can get now and don't want to change it again, but it's weird. I don't think I've ever waited 12 days between Amazon shipping notice and delivery since I've been a Prime member.

At least the Blu-ray does exist and is making its way out into the world, albeit slowly.
UPSM stands for UPS Mail Innovations. Depending on how UPS delivers to your area - it may be sent to the post office for ZIP Code to which your package is being delivered.

When I had packages sent to work - they would still come direct by UPS to the office as we had and arrangement with them and FedEX to pick up packages. When sent to my home, it could be either. I assume you only ordered one disc - in which case it would probably go to the Post Office.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thanks @B-ROLL. I would not have guessed that. That explains why the tracking number now works at the post office website but it still says they haven't received the package yet.

Funnily enough, my order from Wal-Mart showed up today even though I cancelled it to go back to Amazon. I had not received a shipping confirmation when I did the cancellation, and their computer system did allow me to cancel it. So this is Wal-Mart's error. For all of my headaches trying to get one copy of the disc in a timely manner, I'll now inadvertently end up with two. :laugh:

The movie is great. Highly recommended. I've known about this for a long time. because I follow Eva Noblezada and Lea Salonga's careers closely and have been waiting anxiously for my chance to see it. It is really satisfying when something you have to wait for ends up being as good as you think it will be, which has not been the case with some other films recently. I knew the actors were going to be great, and they are, but I'm delighted to say that the writing and direction by Diane Pargas matches their talent with excellent material.

It is worth noting that the Blu-ray version is now once again sold out at Amazon as of the time of this writing.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Thanks @B-ROLL. I would not have guessed that. That explains why the tracking number now works at the post office website but it still says they haven't received the package yet.

Funnily enough, my order from Wal-Mart showed up today even though I cancelled it to go back to Amazon. I had not received a shipping confirmation when I did the cancellation, and their computer system did allow me to cancel it. So this is Wal-Mart's error. For all of my headaches trying to get one copy of the disc in a timely manner, I'll now inadvertently end up with two. :laugh:

The movie is great. Highly recommended. I've known about this for a long time. because I follow Eva Noblezada and Lea Salonga's careers closely and have been waiting anxiously for my chance to see it. It is really satisfying when something you have to wait for ends up being as good as you think it will be, which has not been the case with some other films recently. I knew the actors were going to be great, and they are, but I'm delighted to say that the writing and direction by Diane Pargas matches their talent with excellent material.

It is worth noting that the Blu-ray version is now once again sold out at Amazon as of the time of this writing.
At last check (early Wednesday morning) Deep Discount only had the DVD available - there was no Out of Stock indicator but no "other options" link where the blu-ray would be shown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvin christ