What's new

Weekly RoundUp 1-5-2010 (1 Viewer)

Greg Layton

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg Layton
Thanks for six great years, Mike and Patrick. I haven't been around for all of them, and I'm largely a lurker, but I've certainly saved money and invested time into fantastic films thanks to your efforts. One specific example I can think of is I am a Fugitive in a Chain Gang. If not for coming across it in one of your posts a couple of years ago I'd have never known about the film, let alone bought it. My viewing of the (excellent!) film caused me to take a chance on other Paul Muni films such as Scarface and The Life of Emile Zola.

Between the Weekly Roundup and TerryRL's "... at the Box Office" threads, this forum should be required viewing for all movie fans.

With all that being said, this is a terrible week for both new releases and sales. Absolutely no blurays on sale at Target this week? I certainly hope this isn't an example of post-holiday Blu-ray inflation. It's probably for the best anyway; Moon comes out next week!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That's really cool, Greg. Thanks for writing!

I am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang has always held a special place for me as it was one of the first films I may have ever watched. I watched it as a young teen on my local PBS affiliate (where I also got to watch a bunch of Bergman films at that time). I HAD to watch it--with that title and all. And I've never forgotten Paul Muni's performance.

I was in a Target tonight. As you noted, there's not much going on there this week. There are still some discounted Blu-rays...but it's mostly the same stuff that they've had on sale for weeks already.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Getting Mighty Mouse.

Originally Posted by TonyD

2/25 at corp stores and unknown at franchise.
Really? Not bad. Is the selection pretty good? I'll have to swing by there on the way home.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Deeb

Really? Not bad. Is the selection pretty good?
Originally Posted by TonyD

depends obviously on the location.
And, on individual taste. Expect to see the leftovers of the fairly recent releases which the stores might have ordered in large quantities. And the selection is never even close to the size of the used DVD selection.

At one of my local Hollywood Video stores right now, there is one small wall section devoted to PV'd BD titles. Among the titles I remember seeing there a few days ago: The International, Valkyrie, Tropic Thunder, Benjamin Button, Marley & Me, The Day the Earth Stood Still, a couple of the Saw movies, Wanted. There were more...but many of them were horror or comedy titles that didn't interest me. And there were only 1 to 4 copies of each title.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Nothing for me this week, though, I do want to eventually get all of BSG in Blu.

Just wanted to say kudos on six years! You and Patrick provide an invaluable service! Especially since I don't get the Best Buy circular with my Sunday paper anymore!

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Congrats, Mike! I sure miss "the good old days" helping with the Target new releases...

Speaking of...you BD guys might want to check out the area where the Christmas decorations were in your local Target. The section is now a stock-up/great deal promotion and has a selection of about two dozen BD titles at $12 each. Didn't have a pen handy, but I do remember seeing "Risky Business", "Total Recall" and "Reservior Dogs" (IIRC). There's also a section of $5 kids titles (mostly PD/bundled titles) and 2/$15 DVDs (Food Network, I Love Lucy S1/2, ets.)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ric Easton

Just wanted to say kudos on six years! You and Patrick provide an invaluable service! Especially since I don't get the Best Buy circular with my Sunday paper anymore!
Thanks, Ric! See ya around the Capitol this week?!?

Do you get the Times Union on Sunday...or the Record?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by EricSchulz I couldn't think of what else to call it. But I'll definitely be checking it out.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
And, Blockbuster's BluRays are in horrible, DVD-like cases, with laserjet printed cover art -- not the real packaging at all. Very unattractive.

Whoever came up with that idea must have been planning ahead, to discourage the purchase of used rentals.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
^ Not all of them, Will. I picked up more than a few used BD's at Blockbuster in 2009 that all had their original art. They were DVD keepcases, but the art was definitely original.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Will_B

And, Blockbuster's BluRays are in horrible, DVD-like cases, with laserjet printed cover art -- not the real packaging at all. Very unattractive.

Whoever came up with that idea must have been planning ahead, to discourage the purchase of used rentals.
Never seen that at any in my area, or the one were I work, it's the original art sheet in a dvd rental case.
Whatever they are rented in are what they're sold in.
There have been posts on another site that people said they've bought the used blu's in regular blu cases.
I've heard there are sites that sell real blu cases cheap.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That's what I've done with the PV BDs I've purchased at either BlockBuster or Hollywood Video. I've taken the original artwork and slid it into a purchased BD case.

If anyone wants to take the easy way out, there's a fellow (Bur1196) in the software for trade/sale column who is selling new, empty Blu cases. I've purchased from him in the past and can give him a big recommendation.

But cases are available from several on-line vendors (singles, doubles, etc.)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Thanks, Ric! See ya around the Capitol this week?!?

Do you get the Times Union on Sunday...or the Record?
Mike, looks like I am escaping the Capital today! Supposed to do a story on Albany Cop cars being outfitted with cameras.

As for the paper... it's the TU. About 4 or 5 years ago we stopped getting the Circuit City ads (moot point, now), and its probably been about two years since I have seen a Best Buy ad. I guess they don't think folks in north Troy shop for electronics and DVD/Blu-rays!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That sucks (about the TU and the BB ad). I've picked up a Saturday TU on occasion at the Hess station on Hoosick Street (near 15th St.) and it has had a BB ad.

It almost sounds like your delivery person is responsible. Ever inquire @ circulation if you should be getting the BB ad? If so, they'll let the delivery person responsible know and, who knows, you might get the service you're paying for!

I know I'd ask questions. The circulation people are usually quite responsive.

I use to let them know their TV Guide policy didn't make a lot of sense: a Sunday thru Sat guide delivered on Sunday morning never made as much sense to me (for planning purposes) to have a Monday - Sunday guide delivered on Sunday...or a Sunday thru Saturday guide delivered on Saturday. They never quite seemed to "get" that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks