What's new

Weekly RoundUp 1-25-2011 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

For those who can't stand flippers, be warned that the Best Buy exclusive has the Blu-Ray version on one side and the DVD version on the other, all on one disc. The Blu-Ray side has DTS-HD 5.1 audio and all of the special features from the "regular" SE.

Thanks for the info, Adam.

That sounds like a real good news/bad news scenario. That's a great price to get the BR SE (along with a bonus DVD & comic ...but, it's a flipper). I'll probably still go that way, though...but I really don't like flippers. But it IS the cheapest way to get the lossless audio.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... I wonder if the moviecash for Drive Angry that comes w/ the BB copies of Red can be used for some other movie instead (as had often been the case in the past). Anyone know?

BTW, according to the BB website, they seem to have followed suit and pricematched Target (and Amazon) for the movie-only BD of Red. If that moviecash can be used for some other movie (that actually interests me), then I can certainly live w/ the lossy audio for such a sweet deal. I'm not sure I'd want to spend the $ on either version otherwise.

_Man_

WillG

Senior HTF Member
The problem is there is a Regular (1 disc Lossy) and SE (1 disc, Extended/Extras, and non lossy audio) while technically there isn't a Deluxe Bluray
So that's how it is now? "Movie Only" versions of BDs that don't even get lossless audio?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have picked up the BB exclusive of Red.

And, today I picked up the SE of The Town for $22.50 @ FYE.

While @ FYE, I also found a blu-ray two-pack of The Professionals and The Quick and the Dead marked down to $9.99! I have had my eye on The Professionals for quite some time. They had a single BR copy for $14.99! So I saved $5 and got myself another movie...which, admittedly, I know nothing about.

Any comments on The Quick and the Dead?!?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think Quick and the Dead is a fun movie and for free it's a great 2 hours.

Admittedly it's no Unforgiven, but the scenes with Gene Hackman are almost as much fun -- damn he makes one mean SOB when he wants to.

Some silliness, a lot of trash talking, but I always seem to end up watching it when I flip through the channels.

Just to contribute something this week:

BN has A Beautiful Mind on sale for $14.84 with some available coupons for additional discounts and free shipping.

It is also eligible for their B2G1 free deal until the end of the month.

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/DVD/A-Beautiful-Mind/Russell-Crowe/e/25192082184/?itm=2&USRI=beautiful+mind

If you'd rather buy in store there a number of 50% off coupons floating around fat wallet and the dvdtalk master thread. The instore price looks to be 26.99, but

with the coupon and 10% member discount it could be had for a little more than $12 + tax. The 50% coupon also stacks with the B2G1 and

10% members discount so with a little effort you could end up with 3 new/recent Blurays for less than $35.

Best current codes anyone can use for online (one use per account)

20% off one item (with VISA) enter R7V9J9N at checkout. (expires 2/7)
15% off one item enter B7C3R9C at checkout. (expires 2/15)

Free shipping with Mastercard D4F9J9J (I'm not sure if you can use the FS and 15%off, but maybe)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by David Norman I also have some B&N GC leftover that I plan to use though I'm not 100% sure the 20%-off Visa coupon will allow that -- I've never had trouble w/ something like that before, but B&N has been making changes to how things work in the past year, so...

RE: the 50%-off in-store coupon, I'm not sure how you'd get 3 recent BD titles down to ~$35 w/ that and the B2G1 sale, etc. unless they let you use 2 coupons -- one for each paid title. Some clerks/manager might balk at that, especially when combining w/ the sale. Without using 2 coupons, the in-store deal probably wouldn't work that great since the in-store prices tend to be much higher in most cases (and the selection might not be so great anyway).

Anyway, thanks for the heads up, David.

_Man_

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by ManW_TheUncool

RE: the 50%-off in-store coupon, I'm not sure how you'd get 3 recent BD titles down to ~$35 w/ that and the B2G1 sale, etc. unless they let you use 2 coupons -- one for each paid title. Some clerks/manager might balk at that, especially when combining w/ the sale. Without using 2 coupons, the in-store deal probably wouldn't work that great since the in-store prices tend to be much higher in most cases (and the selection might not be so great anyway).

Anyway, thanks for the heads up, David.

_Man_

I probably should have said as low as $35, but you'd have to choose some pretty specific titles. I kept mixing up their online and instore prices which makes showing off a little tricky.

Something like: True Grit + A Beautiful Mind + Rob Roy -- 25 + 27 + 0 - (5.20 member) - (12.60 50% coupon) would be close to 35.

I picked up King Kong, Exorcist, and A Star is Born Digibooks today for around 46 (+tax). Those are listed at $35 each in store and I got tired of waiting fro Amazon to discount those below $22-25. each.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Jeff Meyers

Thanks Mike as always for the prices.

Hornet's Nest on Blu-ray is already on it's way from Amazon (pre-ordered a month ago when it was priced at $19.99).

I'll pick-up Red on Blu-ray - not sure which version yet, but the $13 price at Target is enticing. Also getting Secretariat at Best Buy for $14.99 using the $8 DMR coupon.

I have a question for those that uses these coupons frequently. Does the retailer apply the coupon before or after the state taxes have been added?

Crawdaddy

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben
I do not yet have review copies of either Hornet's Nest or the trilogy set.

I just received a review copy of The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, but first I'm finishing the review of Let Me In, which streets on 2/1. But a few preliminary observations:

The disc jacket says the films is 2 hours, 9 minutes, but that's a misprint, because it's the length of The Girl Who Played with Fire; this film is just under 2 1/2 hours long. Despite the additional running time, Music Box is still using BD-25s. I haven't yet looked at image quality, but both this film and Fire were shot and finished in the same format, and Fire's image already suffered from over-compression. I'm not optimistic.

Sound is Dolby Digital, as with the previous two films. I loaded the disc long enough to confirm that it's the higher bitrate of 640kb/ps, for those who care. (I do.)

The only extra is a trailer.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Crawdaddy, it depends on the state and the coupon type. I know WA has some goofy rules when it comes to coupons vs. instant rebates. They went after Costco a few years ago for not collecting tax on the full amount when they were offering an "instant rebate". It looks like in most states the answer to your question is after, but not sure about MI. Here is an excerpt of an article from http://www.taxfoundation.org. Its nice to know that the coupon part of the tax code is just as confusing as the rest of it...

Coupons and Sales Tax

The key area of confusion is that most states treat manufacturers' coupons differently from retailers' coupons.

If the retailer issues a coupon and expects no reimbursement from any other party (i.e., a retailer coupon), that is treated like a true reduction in price; first, the coupon is applied, then sales tax is calculated on the final sale price.

Method #1:

$40.00 original price
($10.00) retailer's coupon

$30.00 subtotal
$ 1.50 5% sales tax

$31.50 tax-inclusive price
However, if the retailer expects reimbursement from the manufacturer or another third party (as is typical with manufacturers' coupons) tax is charged on the price before application of the coupon.

Method #2:

$40.00 original price
$ 2.00 5% sales tax

$42.00 subtotal
($10.00) manufacturer's coupon

$32.00 tax-inclusive price
The above is the rule in a preponderance of states, including (for example) California, Minnesota, Mississippi, New Jersey, New York, Ohio and Tennessee.

Other states treat all coupons as discounts, regardless if they will be reimbursed by the manufacturer. In other words, "Method #1" above applies to all coupons. States using this rule include Connecticut, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and Texas.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
A little late, but I've updated the list with links to Blu-ray reviews of Enter the Void (which MPI sent late) and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. I also replaced the image of Noomi Rapace. The original one was a publicity image used for all three Girl films, but the image came from The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks