What's new

Weekly RoundUp 1-20-2015 (1 Viewer)

Jimmy M

Second Unit
David Norman said:
I'm not sure that's any different than the original -- I know there was a new scan done of the original elements prior to the 1st release and I thought it was a 4K scan. There were some limitations based on the budget of the original movie that limited the result. The new encode may be a bit better though pretty much everything I've heard it will be based on teh original transfer.

The extras are added
There should be the 2.0 audio track in addition to the 5.1 audio
It's supposed to be on BD50 disc instead of BD25.

Despite all that -- I got shipping notice last night for mine

Robert Harris original "A Few words" Review

For those that missed out, there are several now available International Region Free releases to choose from which may have the basic movie with the same transfer (no extras), but for less than $15
Crap. New stuff. Anybody have an extra copy they want to let go for a reasonable cost? :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This is ridiculous. Twilight Time must be allergic to profits, since they keep restricting their sales.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
David Weicker said:
If you haven't ordered Fright Night, unfortunately it is no longer available. TT sold out in under two days ( a good title for them - twice).

Mike F - although it is rare, it might be good to notate TT pre-order sell outs in your grid.

Really? Well, that's stupid - not you, Mike. Why would a studio do a release like that? Or why doesn't someone go "Hey, we've sold out of this limited edition. Lets print more!" - or do a non-limited edition release.

Ah well, guess I really didn't want it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ Twilight Time licenses movies from studios and part of the licensing deal is that they sell 3,000 copies*. I'm sure they'd love to make more copies of any title that sells out but the deal is the deal.

* In the case of The Blob (1988) and the new Fright Night disc, they did 5,000 copies since they were more popular titles than they normally release.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Wait - they did a release of the '88 Blob, too? What the actual fuck! I loved that flick!

I know nothing about these guys - but man, they need better lawyers. If Shout! can get the rights to some of the crazy shit they release - come on, Breakin' 2 Electric Boogaloo on blu? - and they can do a wide spread release, they why cant these guys. Especially seeing that they can sell pretty well!

Ah well, I guess I'll cuddle my copy of Exterminators of the Year 3000 instead - well, when it comes out, that is.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
RE: Twilight Time. Their model, based on limited edition CD sets, is to license X number of copies for sale from the studios. That's usually 3k, but has fluctuated in the past (as Travis mentioned).

The whole idea is to create a demand for the discs by making a limited edition.

If they sell all 3,000 of a title at $30 a pop and they sell out, that's $90,000.

If they pressed 10,000 of a title, but only sell 3,000, at a brick and mortar price of $15 each, they make half the money PLUS they've spent the money on pressing and storing the extra 7,000 discs that may never sell.

I don't get what the problem is here.

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
Has anybody found the Box Trolls in 3D at Target? The price of $19.99 is a lot cheaper than Best Buy, but my local Targets said they are not carrying it. At Target.com it is listed as available only online and the price is $49.99. I just want to confirm that the 3D version it is not available at $19.99 before I purchase it at Best Buy.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
DennisBassi said:
Has anybody found the Box Trolls in 3D at Target? The price of $19.99 is a lot cheaper than Best Buy, but my local Targets said they are not carrying it. At Target.com it is listed as available only online and the price is $49.99. I just want to confirm that the 3D version it is not available at $19.99 before I purchase it at Best Buy.

Dammit, Dennis.

I'm really sorry. I don't know how that $19.99 price got in the grid for Boxtrolls 3-D @ Target. The Target flyer did not list ANY price for the 3-D release. Target--as their rep told you--doesn't often carry any 3-D titles.

I'm sorry if that price sent you on a wild goose chase.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
gallery_286742_34_63492.jpg

I have removed that price from the grid in the OP.

Again, I'm really sorry for screwing that up.

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
Hey Mike,

No apology necessary! -- Just wishful thinking on my part. I have picked it up from Best Buy, and I had a couple of vouchers to use that were expiring soon, so all's well.

Thanks.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Jason_V said:
I don't get what the problem is here.

Well, the problem is that I've never liked limited editions. I didn't like it when Disney did it for their yearly tins and I'm not a fan of it here. Lets take a hypothetical fan - lets call him "Cony J Tase" - finds out about their product 3 or 6 months after its come and gone and goes "Wow, I haven't seen those movies in years! I might like to grab then someday soon." Whats the only recourse? Buy the flick on eBay at 5x the price.

That is annoying. . . .

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm not trying to start a fight, honest, Tony. However, I'll use the same argument I used on a poster back in the days of the Disney tins.

This is the Home Theater Forum. There is a dedicated thread for new release announcements from Twilight Time well ahead of the scheduled order date. All one really has to do is put those dates on a calendar and order when that day rolls around. It's not like the information is being kept secret from anyone or just happens to appear moments before ordering goes live.

Plus, the TT model isn't new. They've been doing things this way for a while.

This same thing is true for limited edition CD's and music sets. If I want a signed copy of Enterprise or DS9 or Arrow, I need to be ready to press "buy" the minute the product goes live. If I wait a few months, I can't be upset if the autographed copies are gone because LaLaLand, among others, told me about the order date at least a week ahead of time. And if I wait so long all the copies are gone, well I'm the idiot since I know they're "Limited Editions."

I'm sorry. I see one problem and one problem only in this situation.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Tony J Case said:
Well, the problem is that I've never liked limited editions. I didn't like it when Disney did it for their yearly tins and I'm not a fan of it here. Lets take a hypothetical fan - lets call him "Cony J Tase" - finds out about their product 3 or 6 months after its come and gone and goes "Wow, I haven't seen those movies in years! I might like to grab then someday soon." Whats the only recourse? Buy the flick on eBay at 5x the price.

That is annoying. . . .
The current best answer if you want to see the movie is to buy the Region Free German/Danish/Australian edition when it's on sale for less than $13-14 -- same transfer, plays just fine, and only missing the current extras. If you really want the new edition, keep an eye on Ebay over the next month as the scalpers panic when they realize that this isn't going to sell for 100/150/200 like the old one did when there were only 100-200 items available. I would be shocked if you can't get a new copy for under $50-60 or used for less than 35-40 when a thousand+ copies flood the system as long as you don't want it immediately -- give it 6 weeks for the speculators to cut and run.

Same for Christine -- due for re-release maybe late 2015, probably early 2016.

The Blob 1988 I can't help you with, but you can get used copies on Ebay for just a little more than it would have
cost brand new and the new copies are hanging out around $50

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Jason_V said:
This is the Home Theater Forum. There is a dedicated thread for new release announcements from Twilight Time well ahead of the scheduled order date. All one really has to do is put those dates on a calendar and order when that day rolls around. It's not like the information is being kept secret from anyone or just happens to appear moments before ordering goes live.

No, it's not a secret - but there are a LOT of companies releaseing and announcing discs every day? Do you keep track of them all? How many discs slip past a person every week? That's why I come here (and a couple of other spots to cover releases that Mike doesnt) - to keep up on the new stuff.

Jason_V said:

Yeah, but its a stupid way of doing it. Shout! can keep discs in print, Synapse can keep discs in print, Blue Underground can keep discs in print, Code Red can keep their stuff in print, Discotek can keep their anime in print. Wild East can keep their Spaghetti Westerns in print (mostly) and those guys are TINY. If they can do it without suffering financially or having thousands and thousands of unsold product on the shelves, then why cant these guys?

You honestly think that Pumpk'head will move more copies than Fright Night would? That Blackula/Scream Blackula Scream wouldn't be outsold by the Blob 7 days out of 7 (and twice on Sunday)? Clearly there's a demand for the things - why not feed the machine?

David Norman said:
If you really want the new edition, keep an eye on Ebay over the next month as the scalpers panic when they realize that this isn't going to sell for 100/150/200 like the old one did when there were only 100-200 items available. I would be shocked if you can't get a new copy for under $50-60 or used for less than 35-40 when a thousand+ copies flood the system as long as you don't want it immediately -- give it 6 weeks for the speculators to cut and run.

Thanks, I'll have to check out the overseas copy (or keep an eye on ebay) - mind you, nothing will happen straight away. The credit card is still cooling off from Christmas. . . .

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jason_V said:
I'm not trying to start a fight, honest, Tony. However, I'll use the same argument I used on a poster back in the days of the Disney tins.

This same thing is true for limited edition CD's and music sets. If I want a signed copy of Enterprise or DS9 or Arrow, I need to be ready to press "buy" the minute the product goes live. If I wait a few months, I can't be upset if the autographed copies are gone because LaLaLand, among others, told me about the order date at least a week ahead of time. And if I wait so long all the copies are gone, well I'm the idiot since I know they're "Limited Editions."

I'm sorry. I see one problem and one problem only in this situation.
All,

There is also a listing of preorder titles available to view too. A link to this listing is at the top of the every forum page.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/Blu-ray_listings/blu_ray_preorder_release_schedule.html

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Robert Crawford said:
All,

There is also a listing of preorder titles available to view too. A link to this listing is at the top of the every forum page.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/Blu-ray_listings/blu_ray_preorder_release_schedule.html
The problem with that particular attached list is it isn't accurate for TT titles. They are listed under their 'release' date, not 'preorder' date.

For example, if you want Stormy Weather, the chart says to preorder it on Feb 10th, but since it goes on sale on Jan 28th (which isn't listed there), you might miss it.

Now I understand there are other ways to find this information, but you do have to be extra diligent

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Tony J Case said:
No, it's not a secret - but there are a LOT of companies releaseing and announcing discs every day? Do you keep track of them all? How many discs slip past a person every week? That's why I come here (and a couple of other spots to cover releases that Mike doesnt) - to keep up on the new stuff.

Yeah, but its a stupid way of doing it. Shout! can keep discs in print, Synapse can keep discs in print, Blue Underground can keep discs in print, Code Red can keep their stuff in print, Discotek can keep their anime in print. Wild East can keep their Spaghetti Westerns in print (mostly) and those guys are TINY. If they can do it without suffering financially or having thousands and thousands of unsold product on the shelves, then why cant these guys?

You honestly think that Pumpk'head will move more copies than Fright Night would? That Blackula/Scream Blackula Scream wouldn't be outsold by the Blob 7 days out of 7 (and twice on Sunday)? Clearly there's a demand for the things - why not feed the machine?

Tony, this is the last I'll say on this topic and I'm only responding to your questions above.

1) Yes, I do keep up on what is being released, on what day and my current preorder price. I have a sub-calendar set up for this very thing. Right now, I have items on my "Media" Calendar through August. I update as I come across announcements or information on discs (DVD, BD, CD) I want to purchase. Ron creates a dedicated thread for a number of titles as they are announced. Sure, he can't do all of them, but this is a good starting place, in my opinion.

2) Again, it's not about keeping discs in print. It's about the contract TT has with the content provider. Their business model is based on Limited Edition sets. This kind of thing has been going on long before TT came onto the scene. Disney has done it for ages, EVERY studio did it with their 2-disc Collector's Editions (Atlantis, Tarzan, Dinosaur, Emperor's New Groove, Jarhead, Munich, United 93, War of the Worlds...to name a few). The music industry have been working with exclusive tracks and content for a long time.

3) I can't answer your third question about the financials. I haven't studied them, nor do I want to.

To me, this is about consumers (ie. you and me) expecting to have a product "on demand" when we want it, at the price point we want and in the manner we want. That's what our culture has come to, unfortunately. The supply and demand part of the equation with TT is clearly working for them or else they'd be changing their business model.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
David Weicker said:
The problem with that particular attached list is it isn't accurate for TT titles. They are listed under their 'release' date, not 'preorder' date.

For example, if you want Stormy Weather, the chart says to preorder it on Feb 10th, but since it goes on sale on Jan 28th (which isn't listed there), you might miss it.

Now I understand there are other ways to find this information, but you do have to be extra diligent
People need to be diligent then as other people including myself have to accept that personal responsibility in order to preorder TT titles we want to have in our collections. Screen Archives basically activates the preorder period for each title 19-20 days ahead of the release date.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Just because someone isn't hardcore enough about buying movies to diligently follow release schedules and announcements doesn't mean he doesn't have a right to be pissed off when he finds out that some movie he'd like to have came and went as a super-limited release (especially when it's a popular, relatively mainstream title like Fright Night).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Aaron Silverman said:
Just because someone isn't hardcore enough about buying movies to diligently follow release schedules and announcements doesn't mean he doesn't have a right to be pissed off when he finds out that some movie he'd like to have came and went as a super-limited release (especially when it's a popular, relatively mainstream title like Fright Night).
I hope you're not talking to me because I don't have a problem with anybody being pissed off. I'm just saying this is the situation we have with TT and it's a personal choice on how each of us deal with it. If you want to be pissed off about it, so be it.

Users who are viewing this thread