What's new

Weekly RoundUp 1-20-2015 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Posted Image

The Features

– Scarlett Johansson (Lucy – 2014)

– Henry Fonda & Katherine Hepburn (On Golden Pond – 1981)

– War and Peace – 1956

– The Drop – 2014

– The Boxtrolls – 2014

– Woman They Almost Lynched – 1953

The Prices
Posted Image
The price links below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.

Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

DVDs (Date) Amazon BestBuy Target
Annabelle $14.99 $14.99 $14.99
Atticus Institute, The (Anchor Bay)  $13.49    
Boxtrolls, The (Universal)  $17.99 $17.99 $16.99
Coherence (Oscilloscope)  $22.99    
Drop, The (Fox)  $14.96 $16.99  
Gnome Alone (Lions Gate)  $19.99    
La Belle Captive (Olive Films)  $19.99    
Little House on the Prairie (Season Four Deluxe Remastered Edition) (Lions Gate)  $15.19    
Lost Legion (Lions Gate)  $19.99    
Lucy (Universal)  $14.99 $14.99 $16.99
My Winnipeg (Criterion)  $24.99    
Palm Beach Story, The (Criterion)  $22.99    
Rudderless (Paramount)  $14.99    
Satisfaction (Season One) (Universal)  $38.23    
Swamp People (Season 5) (Lions Gate)  $19.99    
Track The Man Down (Olive Films)  $17.89    
Tyler Perry's Madea's Tough Love (Lions Gate)  $12.98 $12.99 $11.99
Weapon, The (Olive Films)  $17.99    
Welcome Back, Kotter (Season 2) (Shout! Factory)  $18.99    
Woman They Almost Lynched (Olive Films)  $17.89    
World For Ransom (Olive Films)  $17.89    
Wolfblood: Season 3 $9.98    

Posted Image
The price links below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.

Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

Blu-rays (Date) Amazon BestBuy Target
Annabelle $22.99 $22.99 $22.99
Atticus Institute, The (Blu-ray) (Anchor Bay)  $16.49    
Bandit Queen (Blu-ray) (Twilight Time)       
Boxtrolls, The (Blu-ray) (Universal)  $22.98 $22.99 $19.99
Boxtrolls, The 3-D  $27.99 $27.99
Breaking Away (Blu-ray) (Twilight Time)       
Bride Wore Black, The (Blu-ray) (Twilight Time)       
Drop, The (Blu-ray) (Fox)  $19.96 $19.99  
Fright Night (30th Anniversary Special Edition) (Blu-ray) (Twilight Time)       
La Belle Captive (Blu-ray) (Olive Films)  $22.99    
Little House on the Prairie (Season Four Deluxe Remastered Edition) (Blu-ray) (Lions Gate)  $17.88    
Love is the Devil (1998) (Blu-ray) (Strand)  $17.99    
Lucy (Blu-ray) (Universal)  $19.99 $19.99 $19.99
My Winnipeg (Blu-ray) (Criterion)  $29.99    
On Golden Pond (Blu-ray) (Shout! Factory)  $15.88    
Palm Beach Story, The (Blu-ray) (Criterion)  $27.59    
Purple Rose of Cairo, The (Blu-ray) (Twilight Time)       
Track The Man Down (Blu-ray) (Olive Films)  $18.99    
War and Peace (Blu-ray) (Warner Bros.)  $12.99    
Weapon, The (Blu-ray) (Olive Films)  $19.99    
White Bird in a Blizzard (Blu-ray) (Magnolia)  $22.99    
Woman They Almost Lynched (Blu-ray) (Olive Films)  $18.99    
World For Ransom (Blu-ray) (Olive Films)  $18.99    

The Disclaimer

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain! If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, PLEASE just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the RoundUp. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, Circuit City is still out of business...even in Hawaii (where they NEVER guaranteed their prices anyway).

The Specials

--As you can see in the grid above, there are a number of new Blu releases this week from Twilight Time.  Pre-order HERE.     

--Best Buy has EXCLUSIVE LENTICULAR PACKAGING with its Blu Combo Packs of Lucy this week.

--The following releases are on sale this week at Best Buy:

$14.99:  Gone Girl (DVD)

$19.99:  Gone Girl (Blu)

$21.99:  Spartacus: War of the Damned (Blu)

$24.99:  Black Sails: Season 1 (DVD)

--Best Buy is advertising a series of Blu-ray movie releases on sale for $5.99 apiece.  Up to 35 titles to choose from.  Titles shown are:  Prometheus & Fight Club.

--Best Buy Odds and Ends:  None to report.

--Target this week has an EXCLUSIVE STEELBOOK PACKAGING on their Blu Combo Pack copies of Lucy.

--Target is also advertising EXCLUSIVE CHARACTER CARDS with their copies of The Boxtrolls. 

--The following releases are on sale this week at Target:

$14.99:  Gone Girl (DVD)

$17.99:  How I Met Your Mother: Season 9 (DVD)

$19.99:  Big Bang Theory: Season 7 (Blu), Maze Runner (Blu), Maleficent (Blu), Arrow: Season 2 (Blu), Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu), X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu), The Simpsons: Season 17 (DVD).

$27.99:  Justified: Season 5 (DVD)

--Target has some Dreamworks DVD animation titles on sale.

--Target Odds and Ends: A list of $10 "value" DVDs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
By the way, this is a big week for me.

It will surprise no one here that Lucy has been pre-ordered forever and is on its way to me...along with Little House on the Prairie: Season 4 and On Golden Pond.

I've had a thread in the Blu-ray section for years waiting for On Golden Pond to get released....and I cannot recommend enough the Blu seasons of Little House. They are gorgeous (and great television, too). :thumbsup:

[Edited for correction.]

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Don't know if Fox will send The Drop or not. It's just better to be surprised rather than anticipate anything.

Great week with the Twilight titles and The Palm Beach Story and On Golden Pond. And I'll see/have The Boxtrolls eventually when the price drops.

Thanks for the early RoundUp, Mike!

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Tony J Case said:
Nothing for me this week - although Fright Night is mighty tempting. . . . .
If you haven't ordered Fright Night, unfortunately it is no longer available. TT sold out in under two days ( a good title for them - twice).

Mike F - although it is rare, it might be good to notate TT pre-order sell outs in your grid.

Terry Hickey

Second Unit
Real Name
Terry Hickey
Walter Kittel said:
Just a reminder - Terry Gilliam's The Zero Theorem has a release date of 1-20-15 on Amazon for $11.99.

- Walter.
Mine has shipped, suppose to be delivered by Thursday.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I think I'm going to finish my Spartacus set this week, along with Magic City S2. Grand Budapest and Fight Club are possibilities as well.

Even though, and I know I always say this, I shouldn't. I just installed two nearly ceiling to floor shelving units...and I am floored by how many movies I have. I mean...absolutely godsmacked.

Jimmy M

Second Unit
So is there anything on this release of Fright NIght that wasn't on their previous release?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Jimmy M said:
So is there anything on this release of Fright NIght that wasn't on their previous release?
Yeah. The new disc is from a 4K transfer and there's a lot of special features:

Special Features: Isolated Score Track / Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Tom Holland, Actors Chris Sarandon & Jonathan Stark, and Moderated by Filmmaker Tim Sullivan / Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Tom Holland, Actors William Ragsdale & Stephen Geoffreys, FX Artist Randall Cook, and Moderated by Journalist Jeremy Smith and Filmmaker Tim Sullivan / First Ever Fright Night Reunion Panel - Fear Fest 2 (2008) with Tom Holland, Chris Sarandon, William Ragsdale, Stephen Geoffreys, Amanda Bearse, Jonathan Stark, and Moderated by Rob Galluzzo / Shock Till You Drop Presents Choice Cuts with Tom Holland and Ryan Turek / Vintage EPK with Behind The Scenes Raw Footage / Stills and Memorabilia Gallery from the Tom Holland Archives / Original Theatrical Trailer

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
Yeah. The new disc is from a 4K transfer and there's a lot of special features:

I'm not sure that's any different than the original -- I know there was a new scan done of the original elements prior to the 1st release and I thought it was a 4K scan. There were some limitations based on the budget of the original movie that limited the result. The new encode may be a bit better though pretty much everything I've heard it will be based on teh original transfer.

The extras are added
There should be the 2.0 audio track in addition to the 5.1 audio
It's supposed to be on BD50 disc instead of BD25.

Despite all that -- I got shipping notice last night for mine

Robert Harris original "A Few words" Review

For those that missed out, there are several now available International Region Free releases to choose from which may have the basic movie with the same transfer (no extras), but for less than $15

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The Drop is a really good movie and well worth checking out for anyone interested, but I'll wait until the price lives up to its title to consider purchasing t. Thanks for the Roundup!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Drop is Gandolfini's last movie, and he's good in it (as expected), Tom Hardy delivers another great performance. The story comes courtesy of Dennis Lehane. I'm going to repeat this: Tom Hardy is a chameleon. Keep your eye on him for he's a great actor.

BTW, I really liked this movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks