What's new

Weekly RoundUp 1/11/05 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There are secrets in every corner of this village. Do you not feel it? Do you not see it?
–Joaquin Phoenix as Lucius Hunt (The Village – 2004)

[c]The Weekly RoundUp[/c]
[C]
_____________TITLE___________ _ _Amazon _ BestBuy _ CrcCity _ Target_ _ Costco_
Alice Thru the Looking Glass_ $17.98 __ $15.99 __ $15.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Buried Secret of M. Night…_ _ $20.99 __ $21.99 __ $24.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Cleopatra (2003)___________ _ $10.49 __ $12.99 __ $12.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Confessions/American Girl__ _ $23.38 __ $24.99 __ $19.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
DisneyCartoons V.1-Mickey__ _ $10.49 __ $_9.99 __ $12.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
DisneyCartoons V.2-Donald__ _ $10.49 __ $_9.99 __ $12.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
DisneyCartoons V.3-Goofy___ _ $10.49 __ $_9.99 __ $12.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
DisneyCartoons V.4-Chip/Dale_ $10.49 __ $_9.99 __ $12.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Dora Explorer/Catch...Stars _ $15.29 __ $12.99 __ $12.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Everyday People____________ _ $22.12 __ $24.99 __ $19.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Evil Remains_______________ _ $25.18 __ $20.99 __ $22.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Fifth Element UE___________ _ $18.72 __ $15.99 __ $15.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Fighting Elegy (CC)________ _ $20.96 __ $24.99 __ $22.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Gas________________________ _ $16.38 __ $14.99 __ $15.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Ghost in the Shell SE______ _ $24.49 __ $24.99 __ $29.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Gilligan’s Island: Season 2 _ $27.99 __ $29.99 __ $34.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Great White Hope___________ _ $12.28 __ $12.99 __ $12.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Hercules Leg. Journeys: S5_ _ $48.99 __ $44.99 __ $69.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Hunter: Season 1___________ _ $27.99 __ $34.99 __ $22.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Ivanhoe____________________ _ $17.97 __ $14.99 __ $15.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
King (1978 Miniseries)_____ _ $17.38 __ $14.99 __ $15.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
King Solomon’s Mines (1950) _ $14.98 __ $14.99 __ $15.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Land Before Time XI________ _ $13.99 __ $14.99 __ $14.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Leon Professional/Deluxe Ed._ $18.72 __ $17.99 __ $16.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
The Letter_________________ _ $17.97 __ $14.99 __ $15.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Lil’ Pimp__________________ _ $13.99 __ $14.99 __ $15.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
MI-5: Volume 2_____________ _ $55.99 __ $67.99 __ $59.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Monk: Season 2_____________ _ $41.99 __ $43.99 __ $34.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $34.99 __
Oscar & Lucinda____________ _ $_9.98 __ $_8.99 __ $_9.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Paparazzi (2004)___________ _ $19.59 __ $19.99 __ $17.99 __ $15.99 __ $_N/A_ __
Random Harvest_____________ _ $14.98 __ $14.99 __ $15.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Shining Through____________ _ $_9.98 __ $_8.99 __ $_9.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Silver City________________ _ $22.46 __ $19.99 __ $24.97 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
This Girl’s Life (R)_______ _ $17.49 __ $15.99 __ $19.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
This Girl’s Life (NR)______ _ $22.49 __ $19.99 __ $19.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Touch of Pink______________ _ $22.46 __ $19.99 __ $24.97 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
**The Village______________ _ $20.99 __ $15.99 __ $14.99 __ $15.99 __ $18.99 __
Wiseguy: Set 4_____________ _ $41.99 __ $26.99 __ $34.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
**Without A Paddle_________ _ $22.46 __ $17.99 __ $15.99 __ $15.99 __ $18.49 __
The Young Visiters_________ _ $17.38 __ $14.99 __ $15.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Youth of the Beast (CC)____ _ $20.96 __ $24.99 __ $22.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
Zolar: Extreme Sports Movie _ $13.46 __ $12.99 __ $12.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
[/C]

(CC) listed after a title in the above grid = new Criterion Collection release.

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed advertisements, the Sunday of the week of release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website or perhaps in their ads...but it COULD still be in-stores!

$_"LP" means the advertisement says "Low Price", and $_"HP" means the advertisement says "Hot Price". Use of either of these in the Roundup grid indicates that I could not locate a definite price for the item, and the ad is all I have to go on. Retailers use these phrases in advertisements so that they do not violate MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreements with the studios. Doing so can cost them thousands or even millions of dollars in co-op advertising funds.

I only include the titles I feel like including (or the ones Dave tells me he's looking for ;o)). In fact, the titles are pretty much the ones I'm personally interested in, with few exceptions. I don't get paid for this, and I don't have time to devote to doing every DVD. So, please don't complain. If there is a title not included in the Roundup that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone...like Dave & I do!

Note that Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii. Also note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the standard Roundup: they set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is not a way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. When it comes to Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices mentioned at all, just remember that "Your Mileage May Vary".

**BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL! The Village AND Without A Paddle are available in both OAR and MAR versions...get the correct one. Also, This Girl’s Life is available in two differently-rated versions R and NR…get the one that’s right for you.

--Amazon is still featuring free shipping on orders over $25. Restrictions apply.

--Best Buy is offering a deal on the joint purchase of The Village ($15.99) and The Sixth Sense ($14.99). Get the 2 for $25. $16 + $15 = $31. $31 - $25 = $6 savings.

--Best Buy is also advertising a foam can cooler “on-pack” with purchases of Without A Paddle. Minimum 50 per store. No rainchecks.

--Best Buy is also promoting an “Exclusive Bonus” on its copies of Hercules: Season 5. “Interviews with cast and crew”.

--And, Best Buy is advertising a FREE exclusive DVD buyer’s guide at its stores. Pick up your complimentary copy in our movie department to help complete your movie collection. Includes something for every DVD fan in the family. In store only. Minimum 25 per store. No rainchecks. I’m not sure if this is a magazine, pamphlet, or promotional DVD.

--At Circuit City, if you buy The Village ($14.99), you are eligible to save 10% on these DVDs: Signs, The Sixth Sense, and Unbreakable.

-------------------------

The latest markdowns according to DavisDVD:

EFFECTIVE: January 11, 2005 (Studio/Titles/New SRP)

None to report.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks to everyone for your support.

Special thanks to Patrick Sun. A dial-up modem, Patrick? 20-kajillion+ HTF posts.....all with a dial-up modem? You must be some kind of super-hero or something!

And how come Dave Lambert only pops his head in here while I'm away, anyway? A guy could get a complex! :D

Seriously, though, thanks for understanding. You guys all seemed to pitch in quite nicely during my absence...and I've got some DVD buying to catch up on!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
(The dial-up situation was from visiting my parents during the holidays, I have high speed at my house).

Circuit City on sale DVD items:

$14.99:
Invasion of the Tinysauruses

$6.99 each:
The Enforcer
Heist
Majestic
Deep Blue Sea
An Officer and a Gentleman
Wayne's World
Once Upon a Time in the West

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Welcome back, Mike and Happy New Year. Thanks, as always, for the hard work (you too, Patrick).

Just Without a Paddle this week.

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor
Ditto Scott's sentiments to both Mike & Patrick.

Definitely: The Village and Fifth Element UE for me this week.
Considering: Without a Paddle as a blind buy.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Welcome back Mike and thanks for the roundup.

Definite purchases:

Monk Season 2
Random Harvest
Ice Station Zebra
Disney Cartoons (Chip & Dale) - this would seem to include a number that may not come out in the Treasures for quite a while.

Possible:

The Fifth Element - I'm reading conflicting reports about whether this is the same transfer or an improved one, so I'll wait for more reviews. If the transfer is improved I'll rebuy this, otherwise I'll stick with what I have.

Would have:

Wiseguy - I haven't heard anything about musical replacements in this set, but considering they did so with the previous sets, I have no reason to risk buying this. Besides, since I can't have the first sets due to the music issues, I've pretty much lost interest in acquiring this on dvd at all, though if they ever do redo season 1 with the music intact (maybe on HD-dvd or Blu-Ray), then I'd definitely buy it.

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor
I have yet to be sold on The Village. I missed it in the theaters, and I have yet to hear of anyone who liked it.

Maybes on Fifth Element, Leon and Ghost in the Shell, those'd all be double dips.

SMokin deal on Wiseguy from Best Buy. Beats an online special I got a month ago.

Welcome back, Mike. The boys did good while you were gone. Thanks again Patrick!

Dillon*G

Second Unit
The Fifth Element,Leon,The Village,and Without A Paddle for me.

Thanks Mike.I hope you enjoyed your break. :)

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Welcome back Mike, for a minute there I thought you fall off the planet or something. :D Anyway, I would had got Fifth Element and Village, but a commitment to a ebay auction (not releated to dvds) will drain me of my weekly money. So I have to get them down the road.

P.S. I bet my brother wlil laugh when he hears the price of Ghost in a Shell SE. He found it two weeks ago at a certain store near here for....22 dollars! He gets the movie sooner AND cheaper. ;)

josh4040

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
Pat the village was probably my favorite movie of '04 I will definitely pick it up along with an old fav shining through.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Anyone seen King Solomon's Mines? Wondering if it would be a good blind buy. I like me them classic movies. :)

Other than that, probably just "The Fifth Element" this week. Not too impressed by "The Village". The "Twilight Zone" did this kind of story 40 years ago, better, and in accomplished it in 27 minutes.

Jason Goodmanson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Pat -- I liked The Village - thought it was pretty well done.

My unofficial opinion why so many people didn't like it - they all got caught up in the idea of the great twist of an ending, and then it wasn't as good as they psyched themselves up to be, so they didn't like it. (If that makes any sense.)

Maybe if it was based on a 70's television show more people would have liked it.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I liked The Village as well... to a point. It was marketed as a horror film which it wasn't necessarily. Also, I think the last half hour could have been edited differently to better effect.

I'll be picking it up.

-paul

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member

Well, yeah it would be a good blind buy - it's one of the great adventure tales.

Any reason to get the Mickey, Donald and Goofy discs if you already own all the Disney Treasures?

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Definite buys. Fifth Element & Leon (as I really enjoyed this movie, but only rented it).
I was considering "Without a Paddle" but it look's like a rental first considering I'm poor and already buying 2. :D

Looks like I'll save a $ if I go to CC over BB. (plus CC is a mile less driving, so I'll save gas $$ too :laugh: )

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I'll be picking up Leon, and The Village. Don't know yet if I want to double dip on The Fifth Element.

Thanks Mike and Patrick.

Stephen L

Second Unit
Welcome back Mike....

Leon & The Village for me and The Land Before Time XI for the little ones

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
12:00 a.m. on the dot...very good Mr. Frezon.

Nothing for me this week, though. Thanks anyway. :D

That's what turned me off when I started learning more about the plot. All the trailers were "mythical creatures in the woods...mythical creatures this...mythical creatures that...." Then in the film, well, you know. :angry:

Matt-Z

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, The Village. I ended up really liking it. However, I knew what the twist was before going (a friend spilled the beans). I think it helped. The problem was that there were no clues to allow the audience to be "in" on the twist. Most people felt like the joke was on them and not in the movie. In fact, I remember a couple of actual misdirections that would make it impossible for the viewer to logically figure out what was going on. The other "clues" were never really even revealed until too late. The end is equivalent to someone waking up at the end of a movie and saying "it was all a dream". The letdown of not being allowed to go back through the film and say "oh yeah, THAT'S why that was that way" or "now it all makes sense" is why I recommend finding out the secret beforehand. I'll be picking it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks