Weekly OAR vs MAR Sales - 10/02

Discussion in 'DVD' started by WillG, Oct 2, 2003.

1. WillG

WillG Producer

I'm not going to get into too much detail on what placed where this week. but there was not one MAR DVD that made the top 20 in terms of sales. Not too shabby. Holes W/S was number #1 and the MAR version was nowhere in sight. Pretty good for a younger demographic film

2. Lev-S

Lev-S Second Unit

Man to go back to the time when the majority of DVDs were OAR only, you bought it, got used to it, and loved it...

With dual releases, it feels like a step backwards! Everything was going fine until the studios caved and started doing dual releases and making everybody check the cases for specific details. Then, to add to the silliness, start re-releasing old OAR stuff in NEW MAR discs!!! And where has all the in-case education gone? Have all the studios had their balls removed? DISNEY of all studios now fully supports and pushes OAR on it's discs and even educates people properly on the subject! THEY are doing it right! And the final abomination -> Matrix Reloaded in two seperate versions. So let me get this straight: OAR ONLY DVD. The Matrix Revisited comes out on DVD with all clips from the movie in OAR. Animatrix comes out on OAR ONLY DVD. And now, as if the best-selling status of the original DVD is irrelevant, Reloaded gets a castrated version along with OAR??!?!?!

3. WillG

WillG Producer

Yeah, It is lame, but ineveatable, I suppose. But at least OAR is selling signficantly better, in many cases. OAR has really grown in popularity. And it wasn't just because of DVD. In the last couple of years before DVD caught on, even VHS widescreen was gaining ground. I remeber for some titles in VHS that I bought before I had a DVD player, I would go to a store like Suncoast and see on a new release VHS display rack, P&S and WS copies right next to each other, in equal quantities, instead of the store only having like 3 or 4 copies of WS. And it seems like every week in the charts, WS is getting stronger. Like I mentioned above "Holes" is somewhat of a Family/Kids title, but the OAR was #1 and P&S didn't even crack the top 20

4. Dean Kousoulas

Dean Kousoulas Second Unit

I wouldn't be surprised if we see the full screen version of Scarface at #1 next week. I didn't even know they were releasing it in full screen until I looked at the security tape on top of the case. I'm gonna think people just picked up the first copy they could find, without even checking (they do look very similiar)

Dean

5. Lev-S

Lev-S Second Unit

I work at a Future Shop and thought it was Widescreen only until I carefully read the spine on the day of release! Universal should be tarred and feathered for this goof.[​IMG]

6. WillG

WillG Producer

I wouldn't worry too much about that...I posted this in the Scarface thread

I managed to get a WS at C.C. but it was clear that they were really moving. The bottom (WS) half of the display was gone when I got there. And when I looked a bit closer, the guy at the door immediatly knew I was looking for WS and said "If there are any left, there in the back with the other DVDs. Luckily I found one as they were quickly becoming scarce

Yes Universal should be more careful in labeling, but since they were one of the 1st to jump on the P&S bandwagon on DVD, this is hardly surprising

Anyway, if P&S does make the charts for "Scarface" it is because certain retailers overbought on P&S

7. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    My local Wal*Mart definately overbought on Scarface. This time I really had to look to find one. I think they only stocked around 20% widescreens. They had at least 200 copies too, so that's 40 widescreens or less.

I hate to steal your thunder, Will, but I have added a chart for Video Business stats on the sales tracker at WA. Please continue to discuss the trends in these threads by all means though.

8. WillG

WillG Producer

I was at my Wal-Mart Today and it seemed like they had alot of Scarface WS still in stock. Don't know if this means they sold a ton of P&S. I find that hard to believe, maybe they actually wised up and purchased more WS this time around. Although, I find that hard to believe as well. I don't know what's more hard to believe. Oh and, don't worry about stealing any thunder from me, better to have the info in as many places as possible