What's new

Weekend (Godard) (1 Viewer)

WillardK

Second Unit
This finally arrived the other day and I watched it last night. It's the first time I've seen it in it's proper framing since college days.

Anyone interested in the nature and possibilities of film including it's role as an entertainment needs to see this. The Mike Figgis interview extra is one of the best interview extras I've seen and is a must (both for those who want Godard explained and those who don't!). There's also an interview with cinematographer Raoul Coutard that provides a fascinating context for the making of the film. This more than any other of his films represents for me what I like about Godard (that's to say besides the subject of the satire, which I also enjoy and is part and parcel of the whole to an extent, but it's his approach that makes this one of those rare films that is testimony of why film matters.)

It's on a region 2 Artificial Eye PAL dvd. It's worthy of a Criterion special edition tag, though not priced as such.

WillardK

Second Unit
DVDTimes has a review that points out some minor artifacting problems and characteristics that were likely intentional.

I don't have a big screen tv, but the image is very satisfying to me with little print damage. Colors seem balanced. Though the primary color use is very noticeable, don't expect a saturated technicolor Contempt-like pallette. Grain is visible as likely was intended. Overall it's a sub-Criterion transfer, but more than serviceable. Maybe we can expect a review from DVDBeaver.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a huge Godard fan, but "Week End" is by far my favorite of his films and remains one of my most-wanted titles on DVD. I was hopeful that the Artificial Eye release would be better than the reviews have thusfar indicated, but I'm not sure I can forego a purchase considering how much a I dig this film!

Does anyone know whether we're likely to see a few more releases, particularly any already announced, and particularly particularly if Criterion may be working on it?

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
My educated guess is that the next batch of Criterion Godards are going to be the newly restored stuff that Arte put out in France recently: Vivre sa vie; Masculin, Feminin; 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her

Unfortunately the Arte DVDs don't have English subs. Judging by Vivre sa vie a 2 DVD SE I picked up last year, the quality is exceptional.

Ted

WillardK

Second Unit
If someone could direct me on how to create a review-worthy screen capture, I'll gladly do it. I have dvdx player which does captures, but I'm not sure if it does the required quality.

Rich, I'd advise you to not skip this if you like the film so much. While the image could be better, it's still 'quite good' at the least from what I can tell. ...and while Mike Figgis' films could also be better, his interview is excellent.

I've been having such a blast lately with new dvd's. Private Idaho, Weekend, a couple of frothy Shammi Kapoor Bollyfilms and last night Tulse Luper Suitcases (which on selected second viewing, I already know is going to be a serious 'grower'... unfortunate though that it's not a very good transfer.) too much fun.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I think Week End is still with New Yorker and they are planning a release for sometime this year. Probably worth going ahead and buying as New Yorker will probably provide miminal, if any, extras and they certainly aren't known for great transfers, though they have been improving.

WillardK

Second Unit
Here's an attempt at a few captures. You can see the softness, but it's otherwise very good... especially considering the intentional use of fast film stock giving the grain and color 'glare.'

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member

Unfortunately, if you beleive the DVDTimes note, they've left off all the Arte extras :frowning:

Ted

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Wow, those screengrabs look better than I've ever seen this movie look. I think I'll add this to my next R2 purchase!

This question is totally out of left field, but I'm hoping the folks on this thread might have some idea: how is that first Bunuel boxset (with the anamorphic "Belle de jour", "The Milky Way", and "Chambermaid")? I'd like to upgrade my R1 "Belle" and add "Milky Way" to my collection... like real bad! All that holds me back is the possibility of a Criterion "Milky Way" release coupled with their already excellent "Chambermaid", and my hope that an acceptable, anamorphic "Belle" might be coming out somewhere. Any thoughts?

Seth--L

Screenwriter
New Yorker Video did a pretty crappy job with the R1 release. I wasn't expecting much with the picture, but they really blew it with the audio. At times the ambient sound is jarringly loud, then instantly normalizes when dialogue comes in. The sound in general is incredibly flat. In 16mm prints I've seen, the sound was much better. I'm sure Godard didn't care too much about the sound, but I doubt he intended it to be this bad, especially in the Mozart piano sonata scene. Going back to the picture, the 16mm prints were far superior; better color, sharper. Too bad this wasn't licensed out to Criterion.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I did pick up the Artificial Eye R2/PAL disc back when, and so I was interested to see how New Yorker's turned out (expecting the worse, naturally). The Beaver now has comparisons up, and the New Yorker disc is a lousy PAL>NTSC port with noticeable combing artifacts... a typically sucky job by New Yorker.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
What is the problem with New Yorker home video? They were one of the best companies in the VHS days, releasing great prints, letterboxed, with great subtitles. But, now that they are starting to release DVDs, I have yet to see one that looks better than the old VHS.

The DVDs seem to be very cheaply done, horrible transfers, very glitchy as well. Some I believe haven't even been time encoded.

If anything, they should be up there with Criterion. But, they aren't.

Seth--L

Screenwriter

Well, I remember their VHS version of "Weekend" being pretty bad (it's been three years since I saw a print of it, but I seem to remember that the VHS subtitles, compared to the print, toned down the language and sexual innuendo -- I haven't checked the DVD). Any fluent french speakers out there?

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
Ok, I've got another problem. I just picked up a copy and during the hijacking sequence with the Bunuel-inspired character, there is this horrible sound glitch that occurs at the 32:01 - 32:03 mark when they scream at a passing car. The woman's voice drops out for a split second followed by a horrible scratch noise that sounds like a disc read error. Has anyone seen or heard of this problem elsewhere?

In the meantime I'm going to return this copy and get a replacement, and I'll let you know if that solves the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks