Weee!! HD on my TV! Zenith 420.....

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Leroy, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

Well, after much waiting the fact that the Superbowl and Daytona 500 will be broadcast in HD pushedme over the edge.

I picked up an open box Zenith OTA tuner at CC for $200. They have them for $250 new, but all the stores were out.

WOW! After I finally figured out how to get it to work (there's a button on th remote that "activates" the HD outputs) it was a snap to set up. [​IMG]

I've read all these reports on various forums about all the crazy antenna solutions people had to use. But my $12 Ratshack picture frame/antenna picked up staions that some in the Houston area can't get with their super antenna (namely PBD HD and a local staion 51). I've got ABC, CBS, NBC, UPN, WB, PBS, TBN and several local stations. I think the local PAX network is the only one I have to pick up.

All I can say after watching PBS for several hours is WOW! After some prelim. calibration of my HD grid/convergence it was even better [​IMG] I have it set to 1080i and let upconvert the 720p(my Mits set doesn't support it)/480 broadcast and it looks pretty darn good to me. Watched bits of Smallville, Angel, One Tree Hill, King of Queens and some ABC shows. All look great. I didn't realize how much more is being broadcast by my local staions. My local ABC had their regular broadcast on one channel, a documentary on the Astrodome on another and what seems like 24 feeds of their doppler radar screen with news broadcast audio.

I had seen some minor discussion on this Zenith unit here and there on this forum but no detailed info. For those that are on the fence I would recommend grabbing one of these as an open box as it is cheap and if ya don't care for it you can still return it like anything else. I had my reservations about it, but after using it I'd say it's a keeper, especially at the price I paid.

Oh well, I was just excited and though I'd let everyone know! :b

2. John S

John S Producer

Congradulations on finally getting to see HD, on your HDTV!!!

I was told by CC and Best Buy that they get open box OTA tuners all the time, because people always are buy'n the wrong box for their needs.

Good deal for us aye? I also use the Zenith bought open box.

Beware of the super antenna comparison, as it is reported these Zenith's are just great on sensativity, and pull them in more easily than other offerings.

3. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

I think most OTA HD STBs are returned because some guys don't know what kind of antenna is needed or how to set it up properly so they test it without an antenna or a poor one and it doesn't work so they blame the box and return it!

4. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

WOW....caught Threat Matrix(in 5.1 no less) and C.S.I. last night and I must say, they looked great. I haven't watched this much regular network TV in a long while. Such a big difference.

So far, looks like the Zenith unit was a wise choice. I got a few dropouts on CBS, but a quick turn of my antenna and it was no longer a problem.

5. John S

John S Producer

Avid Hunter Thompson fan here.. lol

CSI was great, that 2nd episode in particular...

"Fur and Loathing in LasVegas" what a crack up that was.

6. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

You got hooked up to HDTV just in time before Feb sweeps. ABC has a lot of HD movies on Saturday and Monday nights this next month including Gladiator and Mummy Returns!

7. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Congrats. You'll find yourself initially watching alot of shows you wouldn't normally watch because they're HD. I found myself watching "The Young and the Restless" because the picture was so incredible.[​IMG]

DJ