Weeds ?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jeff#, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

Does anyone know when Showtime will release the first season of "Weeds" starring Mary-Louise Parker, Kevin Nealon, and Elizabeth Perkins? I didn't subscribe to Showtime last year, so I would be watching that sitcom for the first time if it ever comes out on DVD.

Same question about the 3rd season of a show I already have the first 2 seasons of: "Penn & Teller's Bullshit!" Penn Jillette sometimes talks about Teller and also the current season of B.S. (which is currently airing) on Penn's afternoon radio talk show originating from Las Vegas.

2. AndrewWickliffe

AndrewWickliffe Second Unit

Now that Weeds has been announced from Lionsgate in Full Frame...

does anyone know if it was shot full frame and matted for Showtime or if Lionsgate is just pan and scanning it?

3. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

Weeds is a sitcom, so it was probably in 4:3 for Showtime to begin with, but I've never seen it so don't quote me on that. [​IMG]

Meanwhile, I found out that the Penn & Teller's third season is still airing on Showtime. That's in full-frame.

4. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Jeff, Weeds was also broadcast on their HD channel in widescreen. Lionsgate said that they decided to go with Full Frame "because that's how most people saw it." I then emailed them a list of the shows that have been broadcast in both Full Frame and Widescreen, but released in Widescreen, including two of their releases; The Dead Zone and Wildfire.

Gord

5. Richard Michael Clark

Richard Michael Clark Second Unit

Well, here in the UK we have had 'Weeds' in widescreen only so it had better be released that way over here! (if it even gets a UK release that is!)

It looks great in 16:9 and is composed very well. I simply can't understand why Lionsgate wouldn't want to actually give consumers "something more" and an incentive to buy the best possible presentation of the show? The dvd is after all a means of preserving the show in the best possible way.

It doesn't surprise me though as Lionsgate is one of the studios I really can't stand! They seem to mess up a lot of things completely unnecessarily and their attention to detail (especially the packaging) sucks! They are forever misprinting the contents and "extras" details on titles. I feel a little sad whenever I hear they are handling one of my favourites. [​IMG]