Weed Eater

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chris Huber, May 22, 2005.

1. Chris Huber

Chris Huber Second Unit

I just got a wedding shower gift. It's an Echo, curved shaft from home depot. It has teh "rapid loading" thing instead of the spool of wire. You cut to pieces and just pull them through the head. It's done in a matter of 2 seconds. I am wondering though... If I've got soem chain fences to get around and the concrete driveway, am I going to be stop to re-load it all the time?

Anyone else have an opinion or expereince?

2. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    I have not used one but to even stop one or two times would drive me nuts![​IMG]
    I have Castle Wall blocks I edge around and they chew the string up big time!

Wes

3. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I have that same weed eater and it works great. I use the same two pieces of wire for multiple times, you just have to be careful.

BTW: I lived in Louisville for 18 years, beautiful city, my parents still live there off Highway 22.

4. Chris Huber

Chris Huber Second Unit

Cool, anybody else got a suggestion? Can you switch out the head on that weed eater to get the tap style If I'd like? How much would a new head be?

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i have a black and decker (kinda like this one) - it has some sort of automatic feed system. i've never ever had to pull the string out, adjust anything, etc. -- very convenient.

i thought this system was common now. when i asked the guy about bump-feeds (or tap as you call it) he said they don't even make them like that anymore...???

edit: one feature i *really* like about my weed-eater is this little metal doohicky you can flip-out. it then acts as a guide so you can run the thing perfectly parallel to your sidewalk edge. it's gotta be the most handy thing i've ever seen ... gives me a perfect edge every time. [​IMG]

6. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

I'll second the auto-feed feature on trimmers. I got one a couple of months ago. I'll never go back to the bump feed again.

7. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

I have an echo weed whacker that I added the 'rapid loader' to. I love it ! The echo seems to be quite a sturdy machine that some pros use. The line that is used by the rapid loader is .090 I think. It's pretty beefy stuff. I don't have to stop and re-load very often.