Wedding gifts--Speakers, DVD and Receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geordy, Aug 19, 2001.

1. Geordy

Geordy Stunt Coordinator

For my sister's wedding, I am going to get her a home theater system (I already made the TV post in the appropriate forum).
    Currently I am looking at spending ~1000 on the three (or more likely just letitng her get the DVD player by herself while keeping the same $1000 price limit).
    I was looking at the Energy Take 5.2 because I have the eXL:15 set and I love them. The only reason I didn't get the take 5's was because of the great deal on the eXL's.
    For the receiver, I am guessing an Onkyo or Denon (I have a latter and also love it).
    Please let me know what you all think.
    I will also still take a DVD recomendation, so long as it is a cheaper one.
    Peace
    Geordy
    ------------------

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Darn. Wish I had a brother like you! [​IMG]
    The Energy system is a great setup. Small enough to please the spouse, but great sounding.
    And since you already love Dennon, I'd stick with that brand. (You know, you are also going to be doing the setup/adjustment on the system. May as well go with brands you are familar with & like).
    For a DVD player, I tend to like the lower-end Sony units. They have a bit softer picture than the Toshiba's, but they show less artifacts. And they have a great "auto-select the DD 5.1 track" feature which will make the system a bit easier to use.
    Good luck.

3. Geordy

Geordy Stunt Coordinator

come on....
    I really want some opinions
    ------------------

4. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

My opinion is that you try and get some others to join in with you on this journey. You can do alot more with $2,000 combined than $1,000 alone.
    For example, if either her or her future husband is really into bass, get them a single SVS 20-39PC ($779) and a Panasonic RV-31 DVD player ($200). Another one of her friends may be able to give her a Denon AVR-1802 or Onkyo TX-DS595. Both should go for under $400. Two or three others may be able combine and get them an Ascend Acoustic CBM-170 package ($750) or nOrh 4.0 package ($850). They will then have an outstanding package and can upgrade the source components later on.
    However, for strictly under $1,000:
    Denon AVR-1802
    Energy Take 5.2 package

5. LouiseB

LouiseB Auditioning

What a GREAT brother!! I agree with BryanZ